Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Going wild bor huntin in Minnesota..... >

Going wild bor huntin in Minnesota.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going wild bor huntin in Minnesota.....

Old 02-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Going wild bor huntin in Minnesota.....

I'm going OINK OINK hunting in Brainerd, MN. this April 9th. I'm taking my 10 year old daughter with. It's our anual club hunt and all pigs are bought and made sure they are harvested. It's a controlled hunt situation, but I've never hunted pigs before. Do I ground hunt? Do I sit in a stand or blind and hunt? Those of you who have done this before........HELP!!!! I'm just really excited to be taking my daughter with. She just started showing interest in bowhunting a couple of months ago. Bought her a kids Parker compound bow and GT arrows with a Fletchunter shorty release. She's lovin it. She won't be hunting but just so she can see what hunting is all about. Hope I don't choke.[:@]
Old 02-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Going wild bor huntin in Minnesota.....

Good luck im sure u wont choke just have confidence in yourself. U can groundhunt just make sure the boar doesnt see u b4 u shoot it or it may charge when u shoot it. Might not be abd idea to carry a large caliber pistol like a 44mag or a 454 if u have one for safety purposes. I think its great u are taking ur daughter and she shows intrest in bow hunting. we need to get as many young people into archery hunting as possible to insure its future. Good luck and bring home some bacon!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:21 AM

Sounds like fun...Brainerd, MN, isn't that where part of the movie Fargo took place?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Ya sure you betchya!!! Unfortunatly we're not allowed to carry any firearms for safety. Guess I'll just have to keep the ol' eyes peeled. Another thing I found out is we can't use fixed broadheads only mechanicals. I guess its cause we'll be walking around alot. I can't wait until my daughter sees it all unfold. I'm curious how she's gonna react to it all, especially the gutting. Guess we're gonna find out.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

them not letting you use fixed blade broadheads on pigs is kind of irresopnsible in my opinion! Pigs are a tough animal and require a STRONG sharp broadhead. Just make sure u use a permium mech with not 2 big of a cutting diamater so u dont loose penetration im sure it will get the job done!
Old 02-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot them suckers all the time. I post pics here ever now and then. Just posted one I arrowed last night. I shot the last two I posted here from the ground, stalking them. I have take most of them from the ground, but do shot some from trees or bluffs. You will find they are much easier to stalk than a deer. They either dont have as good of a sence of smell, or dont care. They dont see very well either. The little guys can hear pretty good, but when there are more than one around they make a lot of noise. Its easy to sneak up on them. I usually walk real slow, listeing. You can usually hear them before you will ever see them. I hear them stomping around and if there is more than one, they tend to grunt and squeel at each other. Your going to have a blast. Its loads of fun. I love hunting the guys with my bow. If you dont mind, me making a suggestion; When you shot at one, aim low and behind the front leg. An arrow will not pass through the shoulder blade. Also the lungs and heart are lower in a hog than most other animals. Dont even think of a head shot. They have skulls as thick as a bear. Here are some pics from the last two weeks, and a skull mount I did a few weeks ago.

Shot this guy at 30 yards last sunday. He was a 350lb boar

This little porker was shot last night at about 35 yards. She is a small one, but that was what I wanted for a cook out. She was about 100 lbs.

Here is a skull mount, and yes there skulls are thicker than they look.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

them not letting you use fixed blade broadheads on pigs is kind of irresopnsible in my opinion! Pigs are a tough animal and require a STRONG sharp broadhead.
I use to feel the same way. I have switch to steal heads and love them. I have shot many with mechanicals now and can attest to the fact they work better on hogs than fixed. Just dont go over 1 and 3/4 cut.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

I'm huntin with 100gr spitfires. I have heard nothing but good things about them. They make a pretty good size entrance and exit hole.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Dont be surprised if you dont get a pass through. They have very thick skin. I have shot tuns of hogs with my bow and I very seldom get a pass through. The bad thing about hogs, a lot of times the arrow either doesnt pass throught, or it passes through just enough to stick out on the other side. If they dont throw it they fall on it a break it. Not very offten, but much more so than a deer.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm headed down to Florida in march for Hog. I've heard a number of different opinions on heads. I use the Grim Reaper 100 Machanicals. Do you think these will work on hog like they do Deer. Thanks for the advice on lwer shot placement ...BT

Quick Reply: Going wild bor huntin in Minnesota.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.