Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to make a paper tuner >

How to make a paper tuner

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to make a paper tuner

Old 02-18-2005, 01:47 PM

Default How to make a paper tuner

Hey i was just wondering how to construct a paper tuner. I have never paper tuned a bow in my life and i just bought a Switchback, and i want it to be set up perfectly. I have heard of people doing it out of PVC pipe but i dont know how to do it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 02-18-2005, 03:13 PM

Default RE: How to make a paper tuner

use a 1 by 4 on the bottom,take some 2x2s and nail them to the base on each side and the top,take 4 metal hangers and attach 2 to each side,either use small pvc or broom stick to lay across on each hook,place paper or cardboard insert with paper on it at he bottom like old christmas paper.take another cardboard insert and place on top pole running across and bring end of bottom paper and roll on top piece a few times---i use paper clips to keep paper attached to top cardboard piece.just something simple and light.works for me
Old 02-18-2005, 03:18 PM

when i used to papertune i put a couple of the green cattle fence posts in the ground, closer together than a broomstick. i ducktaped a broomstick across them at the top level. i got a pack of clamps from walmart for $5. i clamp some newspaper to the broomstick and then clamp the bottom of the paper to another broomstick that would then hang there from the paper. don't forget to put a target behind it further away than your arrow is long, and make sure none of your cats are playing back there, or chickens.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Really no wrong way to make one, as long as the frame work holds the paper snug. I've made 'em from pvc pipe... from basic to elaborate. I've seen PVC expandables, slide to fit using a dowl to accept auto body masking paper rolls, which is nice when it's time to index a clean sheet.

By far the cheapest / easiest rig I've used for paper tuning was a small folding clothes rack. You know, the kind your wife may use in the basement during winter months. They're only about 5 bucks and fold flat when not in use. Remove two rungs from the center of the rack and attach the paper, (newspaper is the right size), to the upper most and lowest dowles. Set it up on level ground and let 'em fly.

Simple... compact... easily portable... works well... and most of all, your wife can still use it to dry clothes. LOL.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:26 PM

realestate signs,but i dont condone the theft of them
Old 02-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

If you want something quick to get you by here is what I did. Take a medium size cardboard box and cut a square hole on the bottom side just a little smaller than a standard sheet of paper ( about a half inch on each side) and then tape the paper over the hole tightly. Tape the lid side of the box open or tear off the 4 pieces of cardboard that make up the lid. Stand the box up in front of a bag target and your ready to start tuning. Its not very big but I can usually get 3 rows of shots from top to bottom, 5 or 6 shots in each row. I did this with the intention of building something better, but after using it I never felt the need to. No, I'm not a red neck.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use a ladder. Set it up so you can tape paper between the "upside down V" and make sure you have clearance to shoot.