Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Some Advice Please >

Some Advice Please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Some Advice Please

Old 02-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Some Advice Please

Hey all. Well i just got off the phone with a local archery shop and i was asking them if they let people shoot the bows and try them out b4 they can buy them. Because i have never shot a bow and wanted to just feel some. But they said only experience hunters can try them because i can break it or w.e and that i would wonder y i wont hit the target.He was telling me a Parker Package will be good and it will have everything to go and shoot right away. But the thing is i think most of the accessories its going to come with will not be very good and i rather spend some more money on better accessories. What do u guys think i should do?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some Advice Please

Go to a different shop. If they wont let you try their bows because your not "experienced", then they dont deserve your money. Find another shop that will let you.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dairy King

Go to a different shop. If they wont let you try their bows because your not "experienced", then they dont deserve your money. Find another shop that will let you.
Well the thing is i only have them and bass pro. No other shops here.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NewbHunter

ORIGINAL: Dairy King

Well the thing is i only have them and bass pro. No other shops here.
I agree, go somewhere else if possible. Not sure which Bass Pro you are near, but when on vacation in Orlando I went to one and they not only were measuring people, they had a practice indoor range. Give them a try.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Try before you buy... yessir, that's good advice. If it doesn't feel good in your hand, if it stacks weight when you draw or if it doesn't plain fit your properly, chances are you aren't going to shoot it nearly as well as a bow that does. Equipment does matter a great deal.

If you can't find a shop to help you, and I don't mean one that just wants your money... an experienced shop with a archer behind the counter, look to friends or neighbors. Read as much as you can and be informed when you do decide to make the purchase.

The most important thing I can say about getting started is buy the best you can afford. In the world of archery, you get what you pay for. If you try to save money here and there, you'll be buying again. I have a box of "good products" that I figured would be good enough when I first started. Buy the best your budget allows, accessories included, save up if you have to, and you won't be sorry.

There is really no BEST bow on the market, but there is one out there that is best for your particular size and shooting style. take your time, ask questions and you'll be shooting 10's instead of 5's in no time at all.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would buy a thing from that shop! If your havin trouble buying a bow imagine the hassle down the road. I mean I spend alot of time at my shop and I couldn't imagine them telling someone that! Find another shop, even if ya have to drive a bit. You'll be happy in the long run. It took me 4 shop to find a good one. JMO good luck!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

How would they determine if someone was an "experienced" hunter or not?.
Do they give tests?
What would you have to score?
Do they grade on the curve?
What if you flunk the test, how long before you can take it agin?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:36 PM

Id say, definitely find another shop.. Good grief,, if you cant shoot it because your inesperienced,, then how are you ever going to get experience? I guess they just expect a newcomer to walk in, pick up a bow buy it, and then find out it is totally wrong for them[:@] Where are you located? There may be someone on here near you that can recommend a good shop. But whatever you do,, dont buy it if you cant shoot it and have it set up for you. Also a good reputable shop would be a great help in giving you advice on shooting form, and just getting started in the sport. Man it just irritates me that there are shops out there that arent willing to help out a new archer[:@]
Old 02-15-2005, 07:44 PM

I am News friend and we were talking on the internet. I helped him find another shop. This shop sells PSE and the like and lets you test them before buying. He said that since he never shot a bow before the shop was not going to let him shoot one. I guess they don't trust a 17 year old.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most shops will have a setup for paper tuning, which is a target about 8 feet from where you shoot, so hitting the target isn't a problem. The only "can't try bow" issue that is anywhere close to legit is the fear of dry firing. A shop I use to work at put the bows out where anyone could hold them, however we put tie wraps on the string/riser so that it could not be drawn. If a customer wanted to draw it, fine, they did it with a shop person there, aiming at the bag and with an arrow on it. We would setup any bow you wanted to try, as many different bows as you wanted to try.

If you can't draw it back, then they can NOT make sure it fits, both length and draw weight.

All bows will feel different to you, what one person likes another might hate, for example, Mathews is one of the best selling and well respected bows around. I hate them. They just don't feel good in my hand so I won't get one. Clearly there is nothing wrong with the bow, they are great bows, just not for me.

--Bob

Quick Reply: Some Advice Please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.