Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 thinking about switing to fixed broadheads. >

thinking about switing to fixed broadheads.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

thinking about switing to fixed broadheads.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:07 AM

Default thinking about switing to fixed broadheads.

I'v been shooting mechanical heads for the last two years. I'm thinking about switching back to fixed heads. Should I do it or why shouldn't I do it. If so, which broadheads do you recomend
Old 02-14-2005, 08:32 AM

Default RE: thinking about switing to fixed broadheads.

I would go back to fixed heads If it were me. I think the fact that a mechanical head is subject to fail weighs heavy on most peoples minds.Thats not saying a fixed head cant fail, but for me ,I rest easy knowing I dont have to depend on the mechanics of my head..
In the past I've shot thunderheads 125's. This year I'm goin to try some slick tricks. The montecs and wac'ems are also supposed to be great heads.I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Can't go wrong with Muzzy!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:39 AM

Muzzy
Old 02-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good move double lung. Thunderheads or Muzzy's are both outstanding.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally prefer a cut-on-contact style head, which is why I shoot Magnus Stingers. They fly great and penetrate equally as good. I'm gonna try out some of the new NAP Razorbacks this year and if they fly good I'm going to give them a shot and see how they perform in the field.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:42 PM

cut-on-contact style head, which is why I shoot Magnus Stingers. They fly great and penetrate equally as good
But they don't leave a good enough blood trail IMO. I shot 4 deer with them during the 2003 season and while I LOVED the head and penetration was awesome, the blood trails sucked, all of them. I had to really work the trail to find the deer, all 4 double lung pass throughs.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

cut-on-contact style head, which is why I shoot Magnus Stingers. They fly great and penetrate equally as good
But they don't leave a good enough blood trail IMO. I shot 4 deer with them during the 2003 season and while I LOVED the head and penetration was awesome, the blood trails sucked, all of them. I had to really work the trail to find the deer, all 4 double lung pass throughs.
I shot a doe this fall with them, quartering away, double lung pass through, and she bled more than any deer I've ever shot in my life. Went 30 yards and dropped. When I rolled her over there was literally a stream of blood pouring out of the exit wound. I was very impressed with the blood trail.

I guess it just goes to show that in the world of hunting there is a never a "right" answer. What works for some people might not work for everyone.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:50 PM

NAP Crossfire work great for me! Fly just like my field points
Old 02-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

i think slicktricks are awesome broadheads

Quick Reply: thinking about switing to fixed broadheads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.