Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on white dipping arrows? >

Question on white dipping arrows?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on white dipping arrows?

Old 02-09-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Question on white dipping arrows?

When you white dip your arrows, how much weight does it add to arrow and what do you dip it in?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Question on white dipping arrows?

sorry but i dont take anything white with me into the woods. I hunt private property that no one else has permission to go on, but still would never ever take anything white into the woods.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:45 PM

And why not?????????[>:]hope your answer is based on facts, and not your opinion.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:30 PM

I dont know exactly how much weight it adds but I'd think much more than arrow wraps you can buy. Arrow wraps are the way to go IMO.

And about having white crested arrows in the woods...I wouldn't worry about it. My friend stalked through a creekbed to a bedded deer and got within 20 yds. Deer looked his way, looked back and he took her right there. White crest/fletching and all.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are a few ways to "dip" your arrows.

The easiest way is to use the stick on crestings available anywhere.

Next you can actually dip them. You would need the paint, thinner, and a dipping tube. You will also need plugs to go into the ends of the arrows to keep paint out. Mix the thinner and paint and pour intothe dipping tube. Dip the arrow and let dry. Do this three times to get good coverage.

Third and cheapest is white spray paint. This sounds stupid but it actually works very well. Simply tape off the arrow where you want the white to stop. Apply light even coats to the shaft and let dry. I spray, rotate 1/4 turn, and repeat three more times holding the can about 10 - 12 inches from the shaft. Let dry for about 20 minutes and then repeat. I apply three light coats to get good coverage. After it has dried for a day take some "0000" steel wool and lightly rub the paint to smooth it out.

AS far as how much weight it adds I have never compared before and after so I can't say for sure. I will say that it isn't enough to change point of impact to 50 or 60 yards.

And as far as white arrows in the woods goes you are fooling yourself if you think a deer can see a white arrow sitting on a bow. There are white colored sticks and other things laying everywhere in the woods. And if you are in a tree stand then you got it backwards cause the white arrow will blend in far better with the light blue of the sky and white clouds than you sitting there in the latest Mossy Oak Break Up.

I just spray painted some arrows I just bought. The white is 13.25 inches long from the nock to where it stops. I'll post pics after I get them fletched with white feathers.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:54 PM

Thanks bigbull for the advice..As far as the white in the woods, that came from deer hunter..He doesn't have a clue about what elk or deer see or dont see..Fact of the matter is that elk and deer pick up movement way before they will pick out an odd color..Not only thst but your correct.white blends in fine in the woods..Good luck on that CO elk tag this year.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck on that CO elk tag this year.
Hey, you too.

If all goes to plan I'll be out there the first and second week in September. Man I miss the mountains but we gotta do what we gotta do.[:'(]

As far as the white in the woods, that came from deer hunter
Yes I know that was actually directed toward him. It souds kind of rude but I really wasn't trying to be.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:56 AM

I don't think the fellow was worried about deer seeing him, but some other hunter thinking he was something to shoot at. He does mention that no one else is allowed to hunt there" so I figure he's referring to safety reasons. I might be wrong, it's happened once or twice.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:22 AM
dws

I agree with Big Slick, it wasn't about deer or elk seeing the white. It is about safety issues.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Big Slick

I don't think the fellow was worried about deer seeing him, but some other hunter thinking he was something to shoot at. He does mention that no one else is allowed to hunt there" so I figure he's referring to safety reasons. I might be wrong, it's happened once or twice.
You are right i wasn't directing towards deer. God if i was worried about the deer seeing it why would i have 2 chartruse and 1 orange flecth on my arrows. There are some really dumb hunters out there that if they see white the just think it is a deed and will shoot at it just for the heck of it. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Quick Reply: Question on white dipping arrows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.