Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
BLACK BEAR INFORMATION????????? >

BLACK BEAR INFORMATION?????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BLACK BEAR INFORMATION?????????

Old 09-08-2002, 07:32 AM

Default BLACK BEAR INFORMATION?????????

I AM A RESTAURANT OWNER. WE HAVE GREASE BARRELS BEHIND RESTAURANT(USED GREASE FROM THE DEEP FRYERS). I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE GREASE IS DISSAPEARING. THIS MORNING I FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM. TWO GUYS WERE TAKING THE GREASE FOR BAIT FOR BLACK BEARS.

HERES MY QUESTIONS:

1. DOES THIS HURT THE BEAR?
2. DOES THIS ENCOURAGE THE BEAR TO BECOME MORE ACCUSTOM TO HUMAN FOODS
3. I AM NOT A BEAR HUNTER BUT I THOUGHT THAT AT THIS TIME OF YEAR BEARS WERE EATING FRUITS AND SUCH NOT FAT?
4. IS THIS ETHICAL?
5. DO YOU BAIT BEARS?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. IF I NEED TO LOCK GREASE BARRELS UP I WILL . AT LEAST I WILL DO MY PART.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BLACK BEAR INFORMATION?????????

Chef # 1, first I'd like to welcome you to the forum if I hadn't done so already.

Now,

1) Physically, no the grease shouldn't hurt the bear, at least no more or less than it hurts human beings. It's obviously not a natural food for the bear and in fact could help the bear fatten up for winter. I'm no bear biologist/nutritionist..lol but I see no ill effects physically to the bear.

2) If the human/bear encounter doesn't happen and depending on how these guys are setting up the bait sites, the bear may not even know where the food is coming from. IF however human scent is abundant throughout the area, the bear can become accustom to the scent and fear it less and less making him less weary to humans. That in itself could be detrimental to the bear and it could see humans as a source for food.

3) Towards winter, bears will seak out high fat contact foods. One reason why bears especially grizzlies feast on fish skin on the salmon runs. They are trying to put on as much fat as possible to help them through the winter months when food is obviously harder to find. Again, in this respect the bears are finding an easy suppliment to their diet of high fatty foods.

4) Ethical, now there is the icing on the cake so to speak. Everyone's opinions will differ here. I for one an not in favor of baiting deer, however I don't have the same view for baiting bears where legal. First, ask yourself if baiting bears is legal in your state/province. I don't know your game laws. AND what is always legal isn't necessarily ethical and what is illegal isn't necessarily unethical. I think this is one question you'll have to make your own mind up on. Bears are difficult to pattern unlike deer. They have a very large home range. Baiting can be a very effective management tool on bears and at times the only way to hunt them in a given area depending on the bears homerange. Baiting is illegal in the state of PA where I live.

5) I guess I answered that question above, IT is illegal to bait bears in PA, however I have shot a bear over bait in Quebec, Canada where baiting is legal and probably the best management tool for the problem bears in the area in which I hunted them.

All that being said, I find it alarming that these guys where just taking the grease without permission regardless of what they were doing with it or how one feels about bear baiting. It would have been common courtesy for them to ask you first. I'd shut them off on that principal alone, or charge them a small fee to make up for their underhanded actions unless it's an easy way for you to get rid of the unwanted grease.

In my opinion you should do whats best for you since you have the supply and they have the demand.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>