Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 SCENT ELIMINATION!!!! >

SCENT ELIMINATION!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SCENT ELIMINATION!!!!

Old 02-07-2005, 04:59 AM

Default SCENT ELIMINATION!!!!

which one of the scent elimination sprays are the best to use between the h.s. scent-a-way or the wildlife reasearch brand scent killer. thanks for the feedback!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 05:18 AM

Default RE: SCENT ELIMINATION!!!!

I use Scent-A-Way, but I would guess that they would all be pretty good. I don't like the Carbon spray's that leave black spots on your clothes though. None of them totally eliminate your scent, they just help cut down on the scent.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:20 AM

Here is some imformation I have saved in files.Only thing I'm going to say is, this really works and is very cheap to make.

Here is a recipe I took off one of these forums:

16 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide
16 oz. Distilled Water
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1 oz. unscented liquid soap
Mix in a bowl,pour into a jug. let it set several days with NO LID on it because it will react and needs to vent.
I think this may be a little strong on the baking soda because when it dries it leaves a slight residue.
Used to make a Acorn cover scent and put in wet wipes. We would grind up the acorns, boil the product and use a preservitive then soak the wipes. We marketed and sold a ton of them in this area for several years. Worked great and I still make up a batch for myself and a few local archers. This method would allow you to wipe down your face arms, hands.

Also used to steam cedar balls and limbs and use that as a cover. Worked great also. Caught racoons in live traps and keep a catch pan under cage for a day and put lots of water in the cage. Great coon scent, but had trouble keeping fresh.
The preservitive we used was a mixture of Vitamin E and citric acid. There is many preservitive out there: Honey, Salt, Rosemary, your canning preservitives. For pine I would tap and drain the sap from a tree and steam over high heat. I never was a big fan of boiling for tree scents because it tended to cook rather than extract the scents from the product. Acorns we could boil because the properties wouldn't change much during the process.

Yep, that is what I have been using. And if you cant get the soap, dont worry about it, I used it one year without soap.

Guys, you know the best part of making your own spray is, if you went and bought a brand name pint for say $8.00.....how liberal are you going to be with it? No very. You think dam , I spent $8.00 for this and dont want to waste it.
Well, when you make your own, you'll be spraying everything ! And not worrying about wasting money and/or spray. When I go huntin, I take a shower in scent free hunters type soap and then spray myself down all over with my spray before I get dressed. I carry a smaller spray bottle in my fanny pack and spray after I am settled in my stand. I use my wipees to wipe my bow, arrows, quiver, anything you can touch. I spray my climbing stand, fanny pack, clothes, boots, hat, anything going to the woods with me.

I use Baquacil from a pool manufacturer for the hydrogen peroxide part of it. It comes in at 27% and you MUST dilute it with distilled water or it will blind you. One of the sites says that you shouldn't use the hydrogen peroxide you get from the stores in the brown bottles.

Sorry about the post above with the ? mark for the bakin soda. I just made another gallon yesterday as I used a gallon on my trip to Colorado.

Here ya go:

Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

1/4 cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo

Let sit for several days (milk jug works good with lid loose) This recipe is also good for removing blood from your hands in the field after dressing your critter!

I had a big 10 point walk down wind of me (20 yards) Monday AM and never winded me and no Scent-Lok on. I ddont have my doe tag filled yet. Everyone is saying use a non scented soap. I use Hunter's Speciality soap with the Earth Scent that I get at Walmart's. I use 4 or 5 tablespoonfuls. Now I have a cover scent also. Works great. Havn't been winded yet and been using it for 2 yrs. The earth scent soap works real well with this recipe.

I don't know if the brown stuff should be diluted or not.

It is the industrial strength pool chemical, Baquacil that needs to be diluted. It is at 27% and will burn and/or blind you if you use it straight. It comes in big blue plastic jugs from pool supply stores.

Here is the recipe that I got:

"Here is my scent-elimination spray “home brew” recipe:

ED NOTE: Though all of the ingredients listed below are considered basically harmless and can be purchased anywhere, the author of this article makes no guarantee that the end result of the mixture to be safe. If you want to make your own “home brew,” do so at your own risk.
1.5 quarts hydrogen peroxide (3 percent)
NOTE: Do NOT use the product contained in brown colored bottles from the supermarket.
2 quarts distilled water
0.5 cup baking soda
NOTE: I use Arm & Hammer brand baking soda
1 ounce of unscented laundry detergent
NOTE: I use Sport Wash laundry detergent

Mix everything together in a large mixing bowl and then pour into a clean, white-colored plastic bleach container. Don’t use a clear plastic milk jug. You will understand why as you read on. Also, let the container sit for a day or two with the cap off. Some oxygen will be released when the ingredients are mixed and the build up of pressure could blow the cap off. The contents must be allowed to equilibrate before tightening the cap. Fill spray bottles that you take into the field when needed.

Baquacil brand Shock and Oxidizer is nothing more than 27 -percent strength hydrogen peroxide (read the label). It can be found at most swimming pool supply stores.

Hydrogen peroxide slowly breaks down to water when exposed to light, so store your home brew in a dark place such as a closet. This is why hydrogen peroxide is often sold in brown colored bottles. The stuff at the supermarket has stabilizers in it and contains a slight odor.

WARNING! This next part is very important: Do not use ordinary hydrogen peroxide that comes in little brown colored plastic bottles. The stuff at the supermarket has stabilizers in it and contains a slight odor. Pure hydrogen peroxide is odorless. I purchase pure hydrogen peroxide from a local swimming pool supply store. Baquacil brand Shock and Oxidizer is the product I use. It comes in a one-gallon size blue colored plastic container. It is pure 27-percent hydrogen peroxide (no additives or stabilizers). You will have to dilute it with distilled water, down to 3 percent strength in order to use it in your home brew recipe.

This equates to nine parts distilled water and one part Baquacil product."

WARNING : Pure 27 percent hydrogen peroxide can burn or irritate the skin, so be careful.
Last edited by 18CW9 on October 4th, 2004 at 07:18 AM

I think you will like this stuff. L-PA
Old 02-07-2005, 09:28 AM

I've use both and seen plenty of deer so either will work. Although I recommend a complete sent free routine and not relying just on sprays. Keep yourself and you camo clean and you boot also are very important.

If used in conjunction with a good sent elimination routine these are both good products. My personal preference is the Buck Fever vanashing hunter.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like alot of work to make your own scent control. All you gotta do is play the wind card properly and you don't need any of that stuff. Don't get me wrong I use it sometimes but position with the wind is the most important ingrediant of all.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lefty Pa

Here is some imformation I have saved in files.Only thing I'm going to say is, this really works and is very cheap to make.

I think you will like this stuff. L-PA
I must say Lefty that this post is one of those that is going in the file "I'll be sheding years if my computer dies and I can't ever read this again". I like it! I like it alot!!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the "homebrew" later in the season this year. I had nothing but positive results with it. Although playing the wind card is smart (and I did), there were times when the wind switched direction or swirled due to the terrain. Times like those, I had nothing to worry about. I think for a gallon batch it cost me $4-5.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The above "home brew" is a common recipe recommended for a dog that has been sprayed by a skunk. That is why the shampoo/soad is added. For a spray on scent eliminator, I see no reason to put in the soap unless you plan on body washing with it or washing your hands with it. Also, expect the peroxide to bleach out clothes, etc.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

"WARNING! This next part is very important: Do not use ordinary hydrogen peroxide that comes in little brown colored plastic bottles. The stuff at the supermarket has stabilizers in it and contains a slight odor."

AWWWWWW CRAP!!! For 2 years now I've been making the home-made stuff - using the little brown colored plastic bottles from the grocery store, and I haven't had a shot at anything decent!!!! I know the wind matters most, but do you think the odor in this is strong enough to spook the deer?
Who am I kidding........OF COURSE IT IS!!!!
DOHH!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 06:01 PM

Check out this site> www.deaddownwind.com!!