Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hey "bigbulls" i need your opinion again.. >

Hey "bigbulls" i need your opinion again..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hey "bigbulls" i need your opinion again..

Old 02-05-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Hey "bigbulls" i need your opinion again..

I've been reading up on all this KE and proper heads for your arrow and so on..I think my setup is pretty good.I've killed two bulls 5x5 and spike..Also got a cow at 55 yards and a 7x8 whitetail..Anyway I've always shot 125 grain heads..Anyway enough with that..

My arrows are setup like so: 5575 goldtip xt hunters 27 inches long 4" duravanes and 125 heads..all set up i'm at about 405 grains..Do you think I'm good with the 125 or should I go to 100gr head..let me know..

I'm shooting those with a Q2 70# and 29 inch draw.

anyone feel free to post your thought ...thanks again
Old 02-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hey "bigbulls" i need your opinion again..

You just wrote of all of your success and you want to know if you should change. If it ain,t broke don,t fix it![>:]
Old 02-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would definetly stick with the 125 grain head as long as they are flying good for you.

You are getting close to needing to go with the 75-95 shafts but as long as they stay at 27 inches you should be just fine.

Personally I would not shoot a lighter arrow at elk than what you have now.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:01 PM

Yeah...you confirmed what I already knew..My only question was the fact that I cut an inch off my arrow to gain a little more speed and stiffn' my spine a little..with my arrows at 27 I can get perfect bullet holes now..Some of that might be because I went to a drop away rest..I'm only getting around 250 fps out of my arrow.. wish I could get more..I'm not willing to change anything else on my set up though..things are good ..Some day maybe i'll buy a speed bow..but for now My Q2 is as good as they come..anyone have any objections??????????
Old 02-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Something is not right.

If you are actually drawing 70 pounds, a 29 inch draw and a 405 grain arrow you should be at 270 - 280 fps depending on what is on your string.

You are either pulling about 60 pounds or your arrow weighs about 495 grains, which isn't going to be the case with that arrow and length.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:22 PM

The only thng I have on my string is a pair of leaches a nock and a string loop...Maybe the chrono I shot threw was mis calibrated?? My arrows seem to fly alot slower than they did when I shot a ultra max.I know the ultra max is a faster bow..but anyway I'll try another chrono..In any event,I'ts super quiet now that I took care of that annoying vibration that haunted me for 3 years..I finially had my wife put her ear next to my bow when I shot..After 2 shots she said its your sights..Cant believe I couldn't pinpoint it..[>:]

Hey, bye the way thanks for the advice on the slick tricks..I'm going to hunt with them this year..Not to sure why..I've killed elk with my steelhead expandibles and my thunderheads..I've got more broadheads than I'll ever use..I just want to try something new..I'm sure you casn relate..
Old 02-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

You won't be sorry with the slick tricks. I have used both the steel heads and thunder heads and a bunch of others and ther really is no comparison. Of course I have never seen a sharper broadhead than NAP's but the ST's are definetly shaving sharp.
I'm sure you casn relate..
Oh yeah!!!!!!! Seems there always something new out there that I just gotta try. I need to be a millionare.[8D]
I'm sure you will quit trying other heads though once you start shooting the slick tricks. I know I did.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:58 PM

Good luck on that millionare deal[:-]...Where you at in Co.??A friend of mine just asked me today if I wanted to go to colorado to hunt elk..Somewhere close to durango...Of course I said Well If your going to force me to go.then I'll go..I never was one to turn down an elk hunting trip..He says you think we can find some elk..I replied with if in elk country...I'll find em..I'm lucky that way..I seem know where the elk will be..Now I just need to quit shooting the little guys and stick a wall hanger..
Old 02-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unfortuantely I am not in Colorado any more. I just have not updated my stuff here yet I had to move to Alabama this past August. Opening weekend of archery season in fact.[:@][:@][:@][:@]

However, the trip is being planned for next archery season. You can bet I'll be there every year....... baring breaking an arm or leg or croaking.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:43 AM

got a good attitude there bigbulls. almost nothin stops me from hunting

Quick Reply: Hey "bigbulls" i need your opinion again..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.