Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Here We go again >

Here We go again

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Here We go again

Old 09-07-2002, 08:32 AM
Spike

Default Here We go again

Got to my stand at about 5:30 and the action never stoped. Today was the season opener and I saw 12 does and 1 six pointwhich I had a 15 yrd shot at and blew it. I was compensating for the height of my tree stand and shot about an inch low, I couldn't believe it. Anyways how long yall think I should wait before going back out, he was with three does and I dont think they knew where it came from because they darted and stoped and just walked off.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:51 AM

Default RE: Here We go again

if the deer looked up and saw you then the stand is ruined. if you think he did not see you then go back tonight and get that deer
Old 09-07-2002, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

It is anyone's guess when to go back if it were me I would be out there the next chance I got. I have had deer bust me out and look dead at me and go out about 100 yrds and stop and come back for round 2 in just mins and other times haven't seen anything for a few days or so after being busted. I think too many times a hunter will say they seen me and not go back for weeks to let it cool down, my saying is there are more deer in the woods than the 1,2 or as much as 14 that have busted me at one time and the deer population is low where I live but I have a killer funnel area to hunt. Bottom line do what you feel is right not what me or someone else might say or do.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I had a 15 yrd shot at and blew it. I was compensating for the height of my tree stand and shot about an inch low, I couldn't believe it. .
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Why would you compensate for the height of your tree stand?

If he's 15 yards, you bend at the waist and shoot for 15 yards, no compensation regardless of the height your at. You pick a hair and give it to him. The only thing to consider is the path of the arrow through the deer and you pick the appropriate hair. Sorry to hear that tho, give that stand a day or so, or move toward where they came from. When they get to where you were, they may skirt it. Or they may not, that's the thing about hunting, no guarantees.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 09-07-2002, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go back immediately. Cant shoot nothing on the sofa
Old 09-07-2002, 03:37 PM

Nice Try! Next time, the yardage you shoot for (pin you use) from is the grownd distance from the base of the tree to the deer. At 15 yards, It's close enough so that you can aim right on. Pick a spot. Sounds pretty action packed. Go get 'em.

Nic
Old 09-07-2002, 03:37 PM

Big hunt - what give up are those the words I hear you saying.. Never do that . Id go to that very same spot again this afternoon and try again. Every year I see deer in the same area regardless if its the first weesks of bowseason or the first days of Rifle season. They may not come within that 15 yard span you were at but they will be somewhere close by. Try Again thats what this sport is all a matter of timing. GOOD LUCK to You