Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What constitutes a shooter to you?? >

What constitutes a shooter to you??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What constitutes a shooter to you??

Old 02-02-2005, 07:39 PM

Default RE: What constitutes a shooter to you??

3 1/2 years or older for a buck and any doe 1 1/2 years or older. Most of the 3 1/2 year old bucks we take are over the 125 P & Y minimum but if I saw a heavy racked but that I didn't judge to make 125 I would probably take him.

My criteria when actually on the stand with only a few nervous seconds to make the decision are looking for a rack even with or outside the ears and mass that I can barely fit my fingers around. When I see a buck coming those are the first two things I look at and if he is wider than his ears and has good mass I decide right then and there to shoot and then I ignore the antlers until he has an arrow in him. If he meets the width and mass criteria I could care less how many points he has and never count them when I have made the decision to shoot. (until he is on the ground of course).
Old 02-02-2005, 07:42 PM

We try to hold out for a 125+ buck but on our small acreage its hard. I passed on some border line bucks this year and ended up empty handed. Filled the freezer with 3 mature does instead.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is it brown???

Any mature deer that is in range with a good shot. That's my criteria. I have only gotten 1 in about 6 years.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like the cornbelt is a nice place to own land. Here in the mid-east there are big bucks but they're not that abundant that one can anticipate seeing one. I have 30 acres and I only shoot what I guess would be 110 or better. I just don't see the point in shooting small bucks anymore. (that's just for me I have killed enough of them that I have set my sights higher now) I tell guests that it needs to be at least an 8 to shoot. I'll shoot any nice size doe for management and meat.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will not shoot a button buck or doe fawn if I can help it. Sometimes it has happened, but I just couldn't tell at the moment.

I will not shoot a 1 1/2 year old buck. But I would let the hammer drop on 2 1/2 year old buck. Tried to a couple times this year, just couldn't get them in range.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:34 AM

Gotta be big, whether doe or buck. Guess that means 3.5 y.o. plus for a buck.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be much more selective if I lived in the Mid West.... or pretty much anywhere except for my area... I shoot anything. I usually only get limited shot opportunities.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:42 AM

We grow some good big bucks in my area but they don't have the impressive headgear they grow in the heartlands. A buck that goes 120" is a monster around my parts and would definately got shot. Most any buck over 110" would require a second look.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it's breathing when it walks by my stand you better beleive that when it leaves it will have had a arrow flung at it. I'm in it for the meat only.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooter or trophy there is a difference. Shooterif it makes your heart beat uncontrollably, to the point it feels like it is going to jump out of your throat and land at yor feet, i suppose that one is probably a shooter. A trophy 130+ class.

Quick Reply: What constitutes a shooter to you??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.