Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 any shed hunters having luck? >

any shed hunters having luck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

any shed hunters having luck?

Old 01-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: any shed hunters having luck?

I looked a little yesterday for about an hour. It was mostly just a trip to check my camera but I did a little searching as well. I checked most of the obvious places like food plots and fence crossing but didn't find a thing. Still a little early though.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:49 PM

I found two today. I saw about 40-50 deer. And only one had antlers. It was a nice 8 pointer. I saw several large body deer with no headgear. There was no doubt in my mind that they were bucks. I have never looked for sheds this early, but I believe there are a lot of antlers on the ground right now.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't been yet but I have a friend that's found a few. A week ago he went out spot lighting every night for a week straight and saw a few bucks that had dropped one side already....they have dropped the other side during the night or next morning but he could never find them. I'll probably start within the next week or two....depending on my schedule.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

i havent found one yet, but havent really started looking hard, im gonna go again in about 3 weeks or so.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:10 PM

TJF-I found enough sheds in the snow last year. The problem with the snow now is it's not deep enough to restrict deer to trails,but deep enough to hide the sheds.
The last couple times I've been out I've been doing more scouting for new areas.The snow really tells all.
I went out today and found my first snow shed of the yr. A nice 4pt side fresh dropped this year.All I saw were tines sticking out of the snow.I'll post a pic when I get my software for the digital working.
What's the update on that moose you and Tyler are watching?I've got my fingers crossed for you guys.
I might head back out tomorrow again.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:51 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

deershed

Snow is great for finding deer sign. Congrats on the shed.

Moose headed North. Haven't seen him since last Thursday. He still had both sides but he could be headed to an area I don't have access to. This weekend we will go on a scouting trip and try to track him down. Hope he comes back but with the few bull moose around here... they just seem to wander aimlessly and cover a lot of miles in a day. We see a few bulls ever year, find moose sign when we are shed hunting but finding a moose shed is next to impossible.

Saw 9 bucks today on a short drive during dinner. Eight were carrying both sides and a forky was missing his left side. They aren't in any rush to drop in this area. Too bad since we are in a little warm spell with the snow melting.

Tim
Old 02-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Spike

I found my first one in Ohio thursday. It was laying right on top of the snow. Went back monday and saw 7 racked bucks two half racks and one yearling that had dropped both. The one halfrack was the match to the one I found. The biggest 8 point and another 8 got too close to each other and locked horns gave a push. They were both still on pretty good. Still a few weeks early but I m going to go out again this weekend.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

i found my 1st shed ever last sunday! a dandy 5-point one side with heavy mass, must have been a 3.5 year-old, it was a shed from last year as half of it was sun-bleached.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yesterday I was talking to one of the guys from Lone Wolf stands on the phone and he was telling me how they're going out shed hunting this weekend, and have already found a few sheds this year. It started giving me the itch to go, now you guys have just pushed me over the edge. I already emailed my hunting partner to see if he wants to talk a walk this weekend.

It's all your fault!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

So deershed, How do you know where to start shed hunting? You do it all on you own or any help locating areas to steal, sorry I mean look in? And have you ever killed any nice deer in these area you shed hunt in or in any of areas your friends/family members hunt in? Just wondering seeing you've got a lot of nice sheds there. Finding that many sheds is just amazing

Quick Reply: any shed hunters having luck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.