Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 montec broadheads??? >

montec broadheads???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

montec broadheads???

Old 01-26-2005, 01:32 PM

Default montec broadheads???

What do you guys think of the montec broadheads.. Seems to me like they will go dull after continuously putting them in and out of quiver??Any thoughts? Are they easy to sharpen?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:57 PM

Default RE: montec broadheads???

I dont have any personal experience, but my bother in law uses them. He loves them. They are easy to sharpen. He has used his for 3 seasons now and I dont think he has had to sharpen them once. This last season he stuck one in a stump. Didnt hurt the BH or the arrow.

I like the idea of them becasue they come with practice tips, just like the BH so you can tune your bow better.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Funny you posted this I was just looking at them on cabela's site. I'm also interested in the single piece broadhead. Looks tough. Has anyone used them and if so ho was penetration and kill.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:01 PM

yeah i think they are probably pretty tough..I dont like the idea of not being able to change out blades though..I like mine super sharp..
Old 01-26-2005, 06:05 PM

Sorry have not used them. But from using similar heads for years, they will penentrate better than a non cut on contact head. Being that they are one piece they should fly much better than involving an insert.

AS to using them 3 years without sharpening-- thats a tough one. I use 3 blade snuffers and 2 blade Zwickeys a lot. When I hunt a lot I have to touch them up. Even from just moisture in the air dulling them to vibration, to removing and replacing in the quiver.

Sharpening should not be difficult. I never had a problem, but if you can't sharpen a knife well it might be a bit more tricky.

I have one that we found in an elk carcass. From that one sample, I'd buy them if I didn't have a bunch of others already. For deer they should be super. For elk and moose type targets I'd prefer to go 2 blade just for the penetration issue. Its really a toss up though. That 3rd blade could add to the blood trail. And if you shoot a heavy enough bow and arrow combo its not an issue in penetration (3vs2)

I know 2 folks that shoot them and they are really happy.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2005, 06:53 PM

I tryed them or should say tryed to tune them last season,I had no luck. Their not as tough as you think either,but they may work good for you. Have 3 85 gr for sale 15$.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 PM

I know a few people that swear by them. Just nice solid heads. I have a set of three as well and have shot them, just not at a deer, and they fly nice for me. I am still trying to decide if I will use them or the Slick Tricks I have. Both just fly so very nice.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 AM

I've now taken 7 deer with them and I love them. They fly try and are real tough and durable. I can't find any flaw in them except they do not come very sharp out of the box. Big deal, throw a quick sharpen on them and you are ready to go. And after you shoot a deer with one, sharpen it again and you're once again ready to go.

I really like them. Great flight and rock solid design.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a number of quality heads on the market today. G5's Montec is without a doubt one of them. I have taken numerous animals with them and find them to be great penetrators, durable, and accurate. If you are having trouble with arrow flight, I will respectfully say something is wrong with the setup you have chosen, it is not because of the Montec. At the risk of sounding arrogant, if memory serves me correctly, I have taken deer with at least 26 different makes of broadheads, and when I talk about the "best of the best" I have to include Montec in that list.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:37 PM

I have been shooting them for 3 years now. In regards to accuracy - they group well but at a different point of impact than field points (not uncommon) only about 2-3 inches. Very durable - shoot, sharpen and go again! As for penatration - I shot the monster attached with one at 18yds through the top of one shoulder and just broke the skin on the other side through the top of the other shoulder. He dropped about 75yds from my stand.

Quick Reply: montec broadheads???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.