Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much would you sacrifice for one week's hunt? >

How much would you sacrifice for one week's hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much would you sacrifice for one week's hunt?

Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Default How much would you sacrifice for one week's hunt?

Uh, I am talking about several factors. A fellow bowhunter at work has asked me to drive with him to Colorado this late summer/early fall for an elk hunt on public land. Its the opening week for bowhunting when he is going. He has been twice before in the same area, says he has rarely seen anyone else where he goes, he camps out only going to the nearest town a couple of times for some "good cooking", scouts a day or two before actually hunting and says the last trip(2 yrs. ago) he did see some cows and missed a decent bull. For the price of tags, splitting gas, food, camping gear, etc., its a pretty cheap way to go. I think it would be a good time to go(not getting any younger) as I've never had or took the opportunity to hunt elk, taking in the scenery, and since he has bowhunted this area twice before.......that should be another plus.

Would you sacrifice......(1)using some vacation time that I normally use for my whitetail hunting during the rut at home. Its not an option to use all my vacation time to hunt.......need to save some for family. (2)Instead of buying a new bow I will have to keep my old Martin(shoots good anyway) and(3)biting the bullet on a few other personal things(new camo for one) I was planning on buying, to save money for the trip?

Is one week(maybe week and 1/2) worth it? I am sure leaning toward going.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How much would you sacrifice for one week's hunt?

If you can get into some good rutting action then he!! yes it is worth it.

It is still worth it just to be up there even if you don't have bulls charging in to you.

I warn you though. You will be finding ways to save money every year from now on. Especially if you can get a bull or two to come in to you wanting to kick your butt.

There is nothing like hunting elk inthe rut. Whitetails just can't measure up to the experiance of archery elk.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Dominant Buck

It depends, have you already killed that buck to help defend Elite 8?

No I would do it in a heart beat. Hunting is hunting and going after a new game animal works for me. Vacation is vacation the only other thing you can do is quit your job with another one lined up for when you come back. I also don't know how far of a drive it is but flying gives you more vacation time. If you where planning on buying camo, you should have done this by now. I prefer to take advantage of 50 - 75% off at the end of season sales. Why pay full price in the beginning of the season.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2005, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ultimately only you can make the decision...obviously. Sometimes a guy doesn't know if he made the right decision until a year or more later. By that I mean, come November you might spot a huge buck but have only limited time to hunt him due to your trip to the mountains and still question yourself especially if you don't see a lot of elk and do not get to even pull the string back. However years later you could look back on the trip with fondness remembering all of the experiences you wouldn't have otherwise encountered (for example staying awake all night knocking the snow off your tent so it doesn't collapse).

For me it is more difficult than hunting whitetails, and in most cases harder to find the animals. But one encounter up close with a cantankerous bull will take a lot of the sting out of a hard hunt and few sightings.

All that aside, if for no other reason, I think the experience is worth the price of admission.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just dont know.........
Old 01-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar: It's easy for me to say Go For It because I have all of the vacation time that I can use. But I would look at it as a once in a life time cance to go and hunt something that you have never hunted before and may not get a chance to ever hunt again. So again I'll say that if you can afford it then GO FOR IT!! And take me with you.....
Old 01-25-2005, 05:51 AM

I Don't Know If You Are A Christian But If You Are Ask The Good Lord And He Will Give You Your Answer. Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

GO, you only go around this rock once. If you have the chance do it.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a new experience,that could be some fun.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will spend your money ,Go for it

Quick Reply: How much would you sacrifice for one week's hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.