Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie+Success=Bit of Jealousy(10pt pic) >

Newbie+Success=Bit of Jealousy(10pt pic)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie+Success=Bit of Jealousy(10pt pic)

Old 01-22-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Newbie+Success=Bit of Jealousy(10pt pic)

Picture below is my sister in law w/her first bow kill ever. 10pt shot on the 11th of October this season. She bow hunted last fall (2003) a bit, but failed to arrow anything. This year on either her first or second outing, she arrowed this bruiser. She said she went in the night before this hunt to hang her stand and jumped this deer out of the woods. Went ahead and set up the stand, and came back the next afternoon and arrowed him about an hour before dark. I'm extremely happy for her, but have to wonder sometimes why it can't happen for me that easily. I've taken some super nice bucks over the years, but it seems like I hunt my butt off before the opportunity arises. She definitely had a lot of luck on a her side on this hunt, but she has like 5 bucks on the wall ranging from 129" to 164" net w/ a gun.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie+Success=Bit of Jealousy(10pt pic)

Awesome buck!!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice buck,When my wife hunted she always did things wrong and seen and got deer.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:06 AM

WOW! They grow them big there in IL. That is some impressive tine length. It looks like she's giving you some serious competition.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to assume that your sister in law is not a braggart or showing any kind of attitude...

If so, congratulate her on her kill and give her her just due. If she picked the location and hung the stand the stand herself, she deserves an extra pat on the back. To hold it all together, and make a good shot on a buck of that caliber with a bow the first time out, is worthy of some praise.

Every year I put and take down many stands. It is not out of the ordinary for me to have more than twenty stands up on any given day during the season. 99.9% of those I carry in, hang, and trim lanes by myself. I will hunt every day I can. I had a two year period where I hunted some portion of the day, everyday of the season without tagging what I consider to be a big buck. During that time I only saw one good buck that I estimated to be around 145 ". He came close enough to shoot but he didn't offer me a shot so I had to watch him walk away. I have a friend that I introduced to bowhunting and at this point he had shot two deer in his bowhunting experience a small buck and a doe. On a windy wet November morning before shooting light I made out the figure of a human approaching my stand, it was my buddy. He was going to sit in the stand I occupied but didn't know I would be there. When he saw I was there he apologized profusely and I sent him to one of my other stands that the wind was right to hunt out of. Long story short, that morning he shot the very buck that I had seen out of that same stand a year earlier. It was a wide 150 class buck, a real beauty and I am "tickled pink" for my friend. Again I hunted everyday the rest of the year and never even saw a big buck let alone tagged one.

Many of us will spend all summer shooting, invest many hours scouting, shed hunting, take every precaution we know concerning scent contol, and spend hundreds of hours in a cold treestand. No matter what our woodsman skills are or what kind of abilities we have, we can't make a big buck walk under our stand. Further, if and when a big buck walks by your stand you have to be in it. Luck will always play some kind of role in a harvest. That is one of the reasons a guy should never judge a hunter by the size of their buck.

Pat your sister-in-law on the back and enjoy the moment with her.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

You know I'm glad it happens to someone other than me. I put in so much time through out the year scouting, clearing shooting lanes, hanging stands, etc. It's like an endless quest for me to find my first monster. I've shot a few bucks and does (had other chances too) but nothing that big WOW!!! Congrats to her and maybe someday it'll happen to both you and I (quick and large kill that is). It looks like (if those are your pics) you've done pretty well for yourself. Your time and efforts just seem to pay off a little slower that's all.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:43 AM

Tell her congrats on a great buck!!!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:02 AM

whish i could get one like that hunted for 5 years and got a button buck and this year got a big fat doe but i always take the first thing i see for meat. 2 seasons ago i had about a 8or10 point buck and hes still alive and my cousin saw him this year and hes at 18 points! now im huntinn my butt of to get him before the coyotes or poachers get him
Old 01-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

i'm considering moving to illinois just for the bowhunting it doesn't get any better.tell her congrats from the hunting.net gang.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tell her congrats on a great buck!!!
Ditto

Quick Reply: Newbie+Success=Bit of Jealousy(10pt pic)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.