Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Videos!!!!!!!!! >

Hunting Videos!!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Videos!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Videos!!!!!!!!!

I love to watch bowhunting videos- but I saw one today on the MENS channel that I think takes the cake. I don't rember whast the name was- but it was sombodies outdoor experience- and they were elk hunting out west. Him and his wife had elk all around thenm in the woods- and then this huge elk comes in- he estimated with his range finder that it was at 60 yds-60YARDS!!!!!! and it wqas quartering to him severly. He shot and it hit way high- cause it was really only at 55yds- ONLY 55, he did find it- how he killed it I have no idea- but He kept justifying his HIGH HIT because the animal was such a huge trophy!!!!!!!!! He only questioned his shot because He was upset that he misjudged by 5 yds- WHAT IN THE WORLD- HOW ABOUT THE FACT IT WAS QUARTERING TO YOU AND AT 60 YDS- am I crazy or are Elk normally hunted at that distance???
Old 01-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Videos!!!!!!!!!

Well, Not by somebody who knows what there doing. That being said My first elk I shot was 70 yards away 70# mathews feather max 2216 arrows and thunderhead 125's and It was a perfict shot in a clearcut. I knew the distance exact. The bull went 52 yards and dropped. was I wrong to shoot (YES) now with more experiance I know better. I have never lost a elk and I think I am a great shooter(IMO) I shot a mountain lion at 50 yards down hill. I know my limitations , weather , wind ,sun and all the factors go into makeing long shots. If the animal is relaxed and feeding with a good broadside shot it is doable but not recomended. I was stupid to shoot that far and yea"s Lucky it worked out. I now only take 40 to fifty yard shots if the conditions are perfict and I know I can make the shot. Keep in mind I shoot a lot . More than most people dream of and it is not all at the range stump shooting is the only real practice that counts for elk hunting (IMO)
Old 01-18-2005, 09:10 AM

Rich, Where in Oregon do you hunt. I saw your cat pics. Do you always hunt around LaGrande? I used to live in Portland but now live in Kennewick. But I still plan on hunting Oregon. I hunt the high cascades, white river unit.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Starky unit use to be good but as of late it sucks, to much predation IE cats and bears. I have found that the south west part of the state from roseberge to florance is teaming with elk. I don't think eastern oregon is worth the shoe leather to find a good bull. ( example: in 99 on average we saw 20 elk a day 4 or so would be 6 point bulls. in 2004 we hunted 9 total days and saw 4 mountain lion 2 bear and 2 cow elk. no deer. for 3 hunters covering about 12 miles daily. way back in the roadless areas. we moved to several different areas. with terrable results, I talked with a lot of my friends here at work that hunt different units in the east and they had simmaler results. on the other hand washington hunters I know did well and it seams they are seeing the oposite. I use to funt near clear water correctional institut near the Hoe river and did very well there. If I were you I would hunt in washington but if your set on Oregon go south west.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:53 PM

I know this doesnt belong here, but....
I am torn on whether to hunt oregon or washington this year. If I could find a way to maintain dual residence, I would do both. My next door neighbor is an avid bow hunter and got his elk this year, So I am going to pick his brain on where to go here in Washington. I also have family in Spokane that I could go hunt with, i may do that too. Butthen I would have to rifle hunt and I dont really want to do that.