Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mineral pits are deer magnets >

Mineral pits are deer magnets

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mineral pits are deer magnets

Old 09-04-2002, 11:30 AM

Default Mineral pits are deer magnets

I have occasionally put out a pre-season mineral block in areas that I intend to hunt. The deer always used the mineral block and would dig in the spot where the block partially dissolved, long after the block was gone. I never put much thought in the use of mineral salt, it was just a habit formed over time.

Then, one season, a nephew of mine, a new bowhunter, was captured by the common hype and purchased a small canister of mineral salt with a fancy label and a fancy price. The manufacturer insinuated the substance was a, almost, secret formula. I did not want to hurt my nephew's feelings, so we mixed the stuff with 5 gals of water as indicated, lugged the water can back to our spots, and poured the solution in several areas.

To my surprise, the deer wasted no time digging large and deep holes in the ground where the solution had been poured. Two seasons later, the deer were still digging very large and deep holes in the spots, although I had never replenished the areas after the first application. I also noticed that the deer would often urinate in the treated spots.

One day as I was coming out of my hunting area, I met a Whitetail deer biologist doing research in the area. I was asking questions about the large size of the antlers of the bucks that are common to the area. He told me that the particular vegetation and sandy bottoms in the area are high in mineral content, such as salt, and that such areas will attract and hold large populations of deer. He also told me that the high amounts of varied minerals were responsible for the large antler growth, and the reason the does and their fawns do well. He told me that the does will seek out minerals to assist in milk production and to replace the high amount of minerals their bodies lose while their fawns nurse.

In summary, here is what he said regarding a deer's requirement and search for minerals.

1. Deer need certain minerals, such as salt, and know they need the minerals. Therefore, certain types of food they eat is not just for basic nutrition, some of what deer eat is specifically eaten to obtain certain minerals.
2. Knowing how vital the minerals are to their health, when deer become aware of an area that is holding a high and consistent concentration of certain minerals, they do not treat the area as a casual feeding area. They will upload the locations in their memory and will intentionally and routinely visit the areas as part of their feeding route.
3. Bucks need certain minerals for good antler growth. Bucks innately know that certain minerals affect the growth and size of their antlers, and know that the size and appearance of their antlers is important to intimidate other bucks and to attract does. The does will look for such signs as antler size as an indicator that the buck has good and preferred genes.
4. It is not inconceivable that a mature buck might become territorial of an area with a high concentration of minerals.
5. The probable reason they dig deep holes is that the applied minerals have obviously leeched to a certain depth, but although the minerals may have depleted, the deer are digging deep to try and relocate the mineral that they know was there.

After my conversation with the biologist, I quickly concluded; if the deer were that serious about locating and ingesting certain minerals, I was going to become serious about accommodating them.

Last season, in a new area, I treated three spots with the following mixture.

-1 mineral block
-40 pounds of ice cream salt
-5 pounds of sugar

Using an old coffee grinder that used to be found in grocery stores, I ground the mineral block and salt to a very fine grind. Using a large bucket, I thoroughly mixed the mineral, salt, and sugar.

I treated three areas just off the edge of an agriculture field in different location, near trails going into the timber. I treated another area right in the middle of a heavily used trail, one that I know a large buck uses. The last spot was where three trails meet. The trails were inside the timber..

I used a long stick to clear and form a 3' diameter circle. I dumped several pounds of my mixture on the surface of the cleared spots. I did not work the mixture into the soil, I allowed for rain to dissolve the mixture.

During the season, I noticed that deer were visiting one spot along the field, but never the other spots. I observed that when the deer visited one treated area along the field, they would nose and sometimes lick the mixture that was still on the surface, but not with much gusto.

Last weekend, I went to my hunting area to ready my stands. I immediately observed that there were signs of unusually heavy deer travel in the area, and that the heaviest traveled area seemed to be confined and linear, and appeared to be going to and from a particular region. Other areas had the normal signs of deer travel.

As I followed the heavy trail, I soon realized the route was to and from the areas (spots) I had laid the salt mixture. I observed that all the areas I had treated last season had been dug out and were still being dug out. In two spots that are on trails that are normally used, the digging was incredible. In one spot that is located on the trail that "Big Foot" uses, the spot was saturated with fresh deer urine, contained old and fresh deer droppings, and in the spot was the definite imprints of the hoof of "Big Foot." Although I know it is not, what I observed bore the resemblance and activity of a buck scrape that was/is being used year around.

What I observed has confirmed, at least to me, deer are definitely attracted to areas treated with salt and minerals. I also determined that better results are obtained if the mixture is dissolved in water and then applied, or worked into the soil while in dry form.

Last, I believe the treated spots can also be indicators of too much human activity in the area. In the areas that were never visited last season, there had been too much human activity that had been unavoidable due to setting up new areas and unexpected circumstances beyond my control.

This season, I am laying out and maintaining consistent treatment of several mineral pits in my primary area. Although, in my state, you cannot hunt over baited spots unless the baiting has stopped 10 days prior, I can still put the pits in the locale. However, if I treat each spot with a heavy application of my mixture, I will not have to treat them again the entire season.

Forget the expensive commercial lures, which I do not use anyway.

Edited by - c903 on 09/04/2002 15:32:13
Old 05-20-2004, 09:15 PM

Default RE: Mineral pits are deer magnets

I am posting this reply to bring it back to the top. It is interesting and informative. I am going to put some licks out this weekend.
Good luck
Old 05-21-2004, 12:11 AM

I used the ole' cocaine and saw basicaly the same thing you have described. Although I didnt meet up to the big bruiser AKA: Tony Montana
Old 05-21-2004, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

Guys I use several mineral licks on my property although I rarely hunt over them. I don't want to spook the of of them and want to give them the confidence to feed off of them at any time.

Here is what I use:

2 parts trace mineral salt
1part stock salt
1 part di-cal - dicalcium phosphate

All this can be bought at the l;ocal MFA or feed store for about 23 bucks for for 200lbs.
I treated my licks twice in six months and yearly after that. I have had to move a couple of them due to the size of the holes being dug.
The only thing I see different in you mixture is the lack of the di-cal witch is a dairy cow supplement for producing milk in dairy cattle. This also happens to be the main ingediant in a bucks rack. I have noticed that the licks are used more often right after the rut and in may june and july when does are producing milk and bucks are growingthere new racks. It took about a year but I am deffinalty seeing a big difference in our deer.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:36 AM
nub

Ever think you could be doing more harm than good?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used the ole' cocaine and saw basicaly the same thing you have described
I have been tinkering around with Deer Cocane (essentially the same mixture) for the last two seasons and have observed the exact same phenomena.

nub,

I would be curious as to why you think this may be hurting the animals. From my information that "addicted to it" issue has no supporting material. Those mixtures are just salt, sugar, etc... not some addictive drug....again, at least in what sources/information that I could dig up. (no pun intended )
Old 05-21-2004, 10:54 AM

nub,

I would be curious as to why you think this may be hurting the animals.
I too am curious.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: nub

Ever think you could be doing more harm than good?
Could you explain?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:35 PM

Could you explain?
I think he may be refering to the likes of CWD. It's not a problem in my neck of the woods but in states effected by cwd a common feeding area can contribute to the spread of CWD.

Just a thought.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:17 PM
nub

I think he may be refering to the likes of CWD. It's not a problem in my neck of the woods but in states effected by cwd a common feeding area can contribute to the spread of CWD.
Exactly.[>:]

I don't want to start an anti baiting debate. Do what you think you need to do. Just seems the people who don't have the problem in their backyard, don't see it as a problem.

Quick Reply: Mineral pits are deer magnets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.