Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 COMPOUND VS CROSSBOW ?????? >

COMPOUND VS CROSSBOW ??????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

COMPOUND VS CROSSBOW ??????

Old 01-11-2005, 12:23 PM

Default COMPOUND VS CROSSBOW ??????

I am from OHIO and am an avid deerhunter. I've been bowhunting with a Crossbow for about 10 years. I've been wanting to switch to a Compound bow for a while now for a few reasons. My crossbow is loud, heavy & hard to hold steady without a rest. I only feel comfortable shooting at a deer up to 25 yards with my crtossbow.

I feel that a compound is easier to hold steady by the way it naturally anchors itself when you draw. Also, the new bows are very quiet, so jumping the string is less prone & you could get a 2nd shot if you miss - which I do sometimes. I have heard that they are more accurate on longer shots also. Please tell me - AM I CRAZY?????????

I would appreciate feedback from those of you who shoot or hunt with both - Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: COMPOUND VS CROSSBOW ??????

Where you from in Ohio?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:52 PM

No your not crazy...put down the xbow and get a compound. You'll be happy you did.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:54 PM

I am from Akron OH - but I own 90 acres in Monroe County. I have had the farm for 3 years and am having a great time managing it for Deer, Turkey & Grouse. There's some fine Deer hunting there....as well as just about anywhere in OHIO.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:56 PM

MO_Bowhnter, Thanks for the response. Did you have similar experiences with a crossbow? Better accuracy, steady hold, etc.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you do get into shooting a compound send me a PM and I'll show you the ropes of 3-D shooting[8D]

I'm not to far from Akron. I live right near the Ravenna Aresonal, in Newton Falls.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:02 PM

I've never shot a crossbow, so I don't know about it's accuracy and noise.

I do know that it's NOT easy to "naturally anchor" a drawn bow. To get that, you'll need to practice....practice alot.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:32 PM

My crossbow is a lot more "front-heavy" than a rifle. It's easy enough to shoot braced on something, but making an off-hand shot is a challenge and takes a lot of practice and patience. I think that crossbows are easier to hold for a LONG time, since obviously you don't have to hold back even the let-off draw of a compound. But as far as holding for a minute or two to get a clear shot I think a compound is steadier. With practice and a good set-up I think drawn bows are much more accurate and consistant than a crossbow, especially outside of 15-20 yards.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot both, however the crossbow is limited to playing with one in a shop.

Assuming both are tuned, the crossbow is easier to shoot accurately with less practice.
The compound is fairly easy to get 20 yard accuracy, but it takes more time than a crossbow.

The biggest difference with respect to hunting, is getting the compound drawn with the deer there. Holding a compound for 1 minute and still being able to shoot straight is alot harder than you would think. Alot of archery hunting is getting the bow to full draw with the deer well within range of him easily picking up your movement.

If you are looking to do this solely to extend your range past 25 yards, you can do it with a compound, but that takes MUCH more practice.

--Bob
Old 01-11-2005, 02:18 PM

Great advise... That is what I need.

I guess my best bet his to be proficient with both & make my best judgement from there. I have not shot a compound enough to know if what everyone tells me is right or not.

Buckeyebuckhntr - Thanks for the offer, I will PM you when I get squared away.

Thanks

Quick Reply: COMPOUND VS CROSSBOW ??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.