Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Crossbows for deer hunting in IL. >

Crossbows for deer hunting in IL.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbows for deer hunting in IL.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Crossbows for deer hunting in IL.

I just read on another hunting forum that they are pushing for crossbows to be able to be used by everyone during bow season.
I think that if they created a season, it would be alright, but I don't like the idea of it lasting all bowseason.
If they allow crossbows for all season, do you think that they will allow devices that can hold a bow at full draw?
I may be off base, but I think that it would increase the number of hunters in my area considerably, and the number of wounded deer. I think that people (not ethical hunters) would be more willing to take risky shots.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Crossbows for deer hunting in IL.

The ohio hunter should have insight on this issue. They are legal there. I use one in Pa. I cant shoot as far as my compund bow and still have the speed. X-bow will loose its energy real quick because of the length of the bolt. I have a 200 lb x-bow and 25 yards is the ethical distance for me. After that they drop like a lead balloon. Used by a ethical hunter under 30 yards they are good. They do not perform like guns like some people think. Very expensive for a good one also. I have 1200 in mine. It has its own built in cranking system,silencers ,because they are very loud and they are heavy.Mine is almost 8 lbs. I have a red dot on it also. To get a good trigger pull you should have it reworked. you must keep the rails lubed all the time and dont recommend using them in to much in rain either. If you dont keep the rails lubed the friction from the string on the rails will burn the string up. Also it will shoot different with a dry rail. Also if you cock the thing phyiscally with your arms. You have to make sure you pull it back perfectly even .If not the shot could be off a full foot left or right. So much for all the advantages.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

I don't want to see it happen.Cardeer thank's for the insight also.I would hate for a string to break on a crossbow.I think that folks will go out and buy these, and after hunting a couple times with them would't bother anymore.I wouldn't want one,what if you had to reload an arrow quickly for a follow up shot from your stand?It would be like trying to load another shot in a Muzzloader in a way.I hope they keep it the way it is.Only for those that cannot draw a regular bow compound or stick.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: drstalker

I don't want to see it happen.Cardeer thank's for the insight also.I would hate for a string to break on a crossbow.I think that folks will go out and buy these, and after hunting a couple times with them would't bother anymore.I wouldn't want one,what if you had to reload an arrow quickly for a follow up shot from your stand?It would be like trying to load another shot in a Muzzloader in a way.I hope they keep it the way it is.Only for those that cannot draw a regular bow compound or stick.
Much like a muzzleloader you won't get a second shot ,
which is another reason for the reduced range compared to compounds . They aren't "superweapons" , don't believe everything you hear . They're heavy , loud , and cumbersome in brush . They also require practice just like any other weapon whether you use a scope or not .
Old 01-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they have all the disadvantages listed above, why are over half the deer taken in Ohio taken with a xbow?

Steve
Old 01-10-2005, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

If they have all the disadvantages listed above, why are over half the deer taken in Ohio taken with a xbow?

Steve
Isn't that half of all deer taken with a bow? Not half of all deer taken?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Isn't that half of all deer taken with a bow? Not half of all deer taken?
No, it's half of deer taken during Ohio's BOW season are taken with CROSSBOWS. Actually, if you look at Ohio's harvest data, crossbows account for MORE than half the archery season harvest. So, even though it started out as a bow season, Ohio doesn't have a bow season any more. They've actually allowed it to turn into a crossbow season where they graciously let bowhunters participate.

Just my point of view, of course.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry - over half the bowkills. My question is: If the xbow has so many disadvantages, why are so many hunters using them in the bow season so succesfully?
Steve
Old 01-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'll find the guys who favor crossbows in bow season will go to great lengths to expand on crossbows' limitations and minimize their advantages. They will also say that crossbows are little different from modern compounds. So, I ask why don't they just use a modern compound instead of trying to force their way into bow seasons?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:22 AM

Steve, Personally I think it's because there are more people going out to hunt than there would be without crossbows. I know a lot of traditional/compound bow hunters have a problem with that, but I think most of that feeling is a desire to keep crossbow hunters out of "their" season. It's not that it is just ridiculously more easy than a bow,(it is easier to hit a target with less practice than a bow, but all the other challenges of bowhunting remaint he same) it's that it encourages more hunters to go out and try it. And isn't that good for the sport in general? More hunters equals more money spent on preservation and more people voting with us against the antis! Have fun, be safe and shoot straight.

Quick Reply: Crossbows for deer hunting in IL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.