Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I killed a deer tonight CRAP >

I killed a deer tonight CRAP

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I killed a deer tonight CRAP

Old 01-08-2005, 10:20 PM

Default I killed a deer tonight CRAP

I had 4 deer come by my stand tonight. The first one looked like a good size doe. So I thought I would use my final doe tag and be done with it. She comes in at 25 yards and looks dead at me in the tree (While I was standing). So she stares at me for about 3 minutes. She then walks dead away from me and turns at what I thought was 32 yards. So I shot it for 30, because I thought she would be nervous and react faster to my shot. My white feathers (how wonderful they are). Hit the boiler room about as good as I could have hoped. I saw the deer fall down and die. Sweet. Yeah not so sweet, it was a button buck.[:@] Oh well 85% will be ran off by their mother anyway, and I'm still up 3 on my doe to buck count. Anyone else have this happen to them? I looked really hard while it was staring at me, I can't believe I missed the buttons.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:49 PM

Default RE: I killed a deer tonight CRAP

Ya,
A guy who i hunt with in a CWD zone shot a "doe" or so he thought. He needed to shoot a doe to earn his buck, well he went to gut it and saw it was a buck, looked and found some small button horns. It was ok though because the dnr calls an anterless deer haveing less than 3.5 inches of horns. So it was totally ok.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:03 PM

Same thing happened to me on Election Day. I thought I had a nice size doe and when I found "her" the next day I noticed the buttons.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who wasnt it happened to?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:36 PM

Hey dont worrie i took a guy hunting for the first time bow hunting, I set him up in a tree and told him that the dear will come from that direction...I headed in the direction of my stand,I was 60 yrd. from him when i heard my name called real loud,( I said to my self,this bone head fell out of the tree) I get there and his bow and bag is on the ground.I sat there for a sec. and here he comes draging somthing out of the brush,he 's yelling..I GOT A DOE,I GOT A DOE....I walk over grab a leg to help drag it in the open and OPPS..It has franks and beans.....This deer dident even have bumps..SO its happens dont sweat it( thats probley the best meat you will eat,The young ones are the best....)
Old 01-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

Got a doe with a weener this year too. It happens & here its an antlerless deer so it gets an antlerless tag or doe tag whatever you wish to call it. I'm not happy when it happens but dont sweat it much.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's easy to miss the buttons. Their much easier to identify by looking at the shape of the head and overall body posture.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:24 AM

Oh yeah, happens to me regularly. They are pretty hard to tell, unless they are REALLY close. Buttons are generally more curious than does, and they are also a little bigger than a yarling doe, which, I think is why we shoot them first, they are a little more valuable because they are bigger.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:41 AM

During the late season I've given up looking for buttons. I try and look for the shorter snout... it's a dead give away that it's an immature deer. I don't know too many deer hunters who haven't made the same mistake. Enjoy the veal!!!
Jim B.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah last year it happened to me twice. I was kind of bummed but theres nothing you can do about it. The first time, I sat down at the base of a tree and literally 5 seconds later I see deer coming in through brush. I shot the only one I had a shot at and it was a button. The second time was the last day of the season. I can see six sets of legs as they're walking behind some trees. I had about 10 minutes of shooting light and when the first one stepped out I waited. Then the second one stepped out and they were the same size. They were now looking at me so I had to act quick. I figured they were leading the fawns like the first scenario, but I was wrong and got antother button buck.

Quick Reply: I killed a deer tonight CRAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.