Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ATTENTION: WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS >

ATTENTION: WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ATTENTION: WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

Old 12-28-2004, 02:35 PM

Default ATTENTION: WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

I've got a question that I can't really find anything out. I've been reading WV's rules and regulations and like most things that I read that the DNR writes or comes up with, I have a hard time interperting (sp.) it.
Ok, here's my question. I am going to go bowhunting tomorrow (Wednesday, 12/29/04) in West Virginia, let me remind you, it's still doe season (with a rifle). Do I have to wear blaze orange clothing while I am bowhunting or can I wear my usual camoflauge? I have asked a few friends at work but each one has a different answer. I know that in Pennsylvania, they do NOT have to wear any orange when bowhunting during muzzleloading season.
Thanks for helping out.....(hopefully)
Old 12-28-2004, 02:49 PM

Default RE: ATTENTION: WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

I would wear blaze orange. I would feel safer knowing that there are gun hunters in the woods. Good luck on your trip.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:03 PM

I just moved to Washington and was reading the regulations the other day. Now my interpretation is that you have to wear orange during ANY firearm season, even though it overlaps bow season. Again, I know that Washington and West Virginia are worlds apart, but it sounds as if the regs are the same. I know I would feel safer wearing orange, required to or not. I know to many people that have been shot at because the "hunter" heard someting.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you have to wear orange. I also think you have to partake in the doe season. Meaning your bowhunting to fill your doe tag.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the insight. I think I will wear some orange. As for partaking in taking a DOE to fill my tag.......I'll pass.......I don't shoot does, with a rifle or a bow. I leave that up to someone who needs the meat. I'm a trophy hunter and don't kill "for the freezer".
I get much more excitement seeing a "buck" approach my stand than I do a doe.
Good luck and be safe.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you are against shooting does you might want to re-check the game laws to see if you are allowed to shoot a buck, per the above post it doesn't seem that you are. If you are having trouble understanding the game laws I would suggest calling the DNR for clarification rather than relying on word of mouth.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to the rulebook, the archery season runs until December 31st. The doe season is Dec 29, 30, 31. I believe you can hunt both, but I'm not sure. I'll be taking out my muzzleloader tomorrow to try and get another doe for baloney.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:53 PM

check the books, you can get the full version on thier website. But the rules state you must have blaze orange during any gun season. Also the rules say that an archery hunter may take buck or doe with a bow except during buck only. Nothing is mentioned about doe season.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You must wear blaxe orange only if you are hunting in an area where doe with a gun is legal. I will be bowhunting this evening and no orange because doe season isnt in where I hunt. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:47 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I did go bowhunting today, and YES you can bowhunt (for a buck or doe) during doe season and/or muzzleloading season. I went to a WMA, therefore I didn't need to wear any orange based on the FACT that you aren't allowed to hunt does on the WMA that I was hunting.
By the way, as usual as of lately, I saw NOTHING.......

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.