Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wanted: Late season hunting tips >

Wanted: Late season hunting tips

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wanted: Late season hunting tips

Old 12-26-2004, 07:28 PM

Default Wanted: Late season hunting tips

We have a late bow season here in Iowa (dec20-jan10). I waited out early season for a good buck and was disappointed. I have been out every day since the late season began to find a deer to take, but can't seem to have any luck. Temps are expected to be in the 30's with just a tad of snow on the ground. Please help me out. I'm looking for some tips on technique and locations deer may be at this time during the season. Also, does a grunt call prove any effectiveness during this time of the year?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:51 PM

Default RE: Wanted: Late season hunting tips

Id try to spend as much time as i can around food. After the rut, they will be eating lots to keep up body temps, and regain energy lost during the rut. If you can find picked corn or bean fields, they would be best as corn and beans are very preferable to deer in the winter months, but if they arent available, anything still green or anything that has some nutritional value to them.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:53 PM

Oh yeah,, and welcome to the site
Old 12-26-2004, 09:07 PM

Thank you for the tips. I am goingto sit along the edge of a picked corn field with the smoke pole tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can tag one with both the gun and bow this week. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-26-2004, 09:17 PM

The deer seem to be more active right now in midday, so I would try hunting all day or at least include the midday hours. I drove from Columbus OH to South Bend IN today in the middle of the day and saw 3 separate groups of deer feeding in picked fields near woods. There is 5-8 inches of snow on the ground, which may make a big difference as to whether you will see them midday in Iowa though.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Food source
Old 12-27-2004, 11:10 AM

I hunt in iowa and went out this morning 12/27 and set up 40 yards from the bedded deer. at 8 o'clock i had 7 does under me and took the big one to fill my last antlerless tag.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:09 PM

Where abouts in iowa are you located? I'm in cedar falls. I took the muzzleloader out this morning and passed on a doe. There's plenty of season left and i have seem to have found where they are traveling.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Kyle, why dont you go and set me up in your spot!! I'm not seein a thing..... Im Leavin now to try an evening hunt. Got my long udies on and my boots on, and just gotta slip the coveralls over it all. we'll see how things pan out!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

IN ohio they are moving mid-day, went out on sunday the day after x-mas we had a foot of snow and it all froze over.....i mean even the trees and leaves that were green were all ice!! The deer bedded down and waited for the sun to come out. I like to re-visit old scrapes, food sources, and if it snowed hard, then i hunt low cuz it seems to push the deer lower down the hill. Good luck let us know how you do.

Quick Reply: Wanted: Late season hunting tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.