Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new used bow

Old 12-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default new used bow

got a used bow for xmas and want to know what it might be worth to trade up to a newer one its a proline looks like camand half but not sure the arrow rest is a circle with bristles all around it and 2 fiber sights dont know any more than that about it its set up pretty high i can barley pull it back and it keeps shooting high
sorry about lack of stats but is my 1st bow and never shot one before

basically wondering if i should just save up and trade in for newer and nicer or try to get it set up and use it a year or 2 before trade in

any help please
Old 12-25-2004, 12:12 AM

Default RE: new used bow

bows arn't worth trading up for the most part. Just enjoy your bow, it sounds like it is a good one with a wisker biskit or whatever it's called, and some fiber obtic sights. Can't be that bad. Where did you buy it from?
Old 12-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

my parents got it a small bow shop when they bought my bros new one i was looking at a reflex there but it was gone they gave 150 for it but it shoots about 8 in high at 15 yards
Old 12-25-2004, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Proline has been kaput for some years now. Used compounds aren't worth much at best, but when the company is gone they're worth even less. All it's value is as a shooter.

As for it shooting high, it's up to you to make adjustments to the bow's sights and tuning to make it shoot where you want it to.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:56 AM

Bows will take alot of trial and error before you get it shooting correctly. You may shoot 8 inches high just like it is and if I were to shoot it i would hit different than you. It all depends on your release point. you must get comforatable with this bow before you start adjusting the sights. I don't know how your bow is set up but there are alot of things that you can add. One thing I still like to use is a kisser button to make sure that your release point is the same every time. You should go to your local bow shop and get some pointers from them if you don't have a friend that is experienced. Remember this is not a rifle, there's more to it than putting the sight on the target and releasing an arrow. Good luck
Old 12-25-2004, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

first of all if you are having a hard time drawing it ya have to loose some poundage on it. then resight it in. iwouldnt worry about trading it off right away. i would wait for a archery shop to open and bring it in there. have them loosen it up and ask for pointers. most archery shops have a indoor range where they will help you zero it in. dont go fling a dozen arrows and think it is ready for the woods cuz even if it is you are not . it takes alot of practice and if ya dont practice all you are going to do is go out to the stand and hit and loose one then you will loose interest. it is a wonderfull sport dont let it beat you up practice practice practice. i cant say it enough! hit the woods next year and good luck
Old 01-02-2005, 09:05 AM

If the bow shop where they bought it is agood one they will help you tune the bow so you can shoot it, they will allso cut you some arrows to the right lenghth for you and your new bow, and as someone else said if it don't have a kisser button have one put on
Old 01-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I agree - go back to the shop where your parents bought it. They should help you set it up(turn down the poundage, adjust the arrow rest, and site in the pins). To set your site - chase the arrow with your pins. If your shooting high move the site pin high.. Good luck - have fun.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

You could try to find the same bow on eBay and find out what they are being listed/sold for. eBay typically has a lot of bows and archery equipment under Sports=>Archery.