Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 We got eight inches of snow last night! >

We got eight inches of snow last night!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

We got eight inches of snow last night!

Old 12-22-2004, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default We got eight inches of snow last night!

So my question is... for those of you who regularly hunt in snow, how does this affect deer movement? I was/am planning to hunt this afternoon; what can I expect? Earlier movement, later, less, more, etc...

Thanks for the help, snow experts!
Old 12-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: We got eight inches of snow last night!

When did front move in, is it over, what are weather conditions now and forecasted for the next 12-24 hours?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

front moved in after dark, it was slightly spitting snow earlier (an hour ago) but has pretty much stopped now. The weathermen are calling for it to possibly start back up snowing again later this afternoon. Right now it's 23 degrees, feels like 10 with wind chill.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Generaly the deer make a lot of movement just before the front approach's ,if your expecting more snow this afternoon ,I'd be hitting the creek bed's and bedding area's for these area's offer the most cover for them.When the snow start's the deer usually look for these area's .It's pretty much the same as if it were about to rain .I've seen some pretty good deer movement during snow storm's in these area's ,but never seem to find them in the fie;d's .Directly after the snow falls the deer may approach the field's ,but the best time is just before because they feed heavy just before and wait for it to clear.

nubo
Old 12-22-2004, 08:02 AM

Must be nice, here it is, 3 days before Christmas, and we have had NO snow other than a few little flurries here and there, no accumulations. I am bummed. We are suppose to have 2-6" in the next two days, but I am watching the radar as we type and from what I can see, it is going to go south of me. Grrrr!

I have never got to hunt in snow yet seeing as how here in Indiana we are LUCKY if it snows before January lately! I know it makes it soo much easier though, you can see tracks everywhere, if you shoot a deer, it is so easy to track and it is MUCH easier to see the brown bodies on a pure white blanket of snow. Good luck to you, let us know how it goes!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, buck huntin girl, my wife is pumped we're going to have a white Christmas!

nubo, you were one of the ones whom I hoped would jump on this thread, being from Canada and all. So I undestand what you're saying about movement before a big snow storm (unfortunately, my boss was in town yesterday and I had to be with him ). So given I didn't get my first choice of hunting hard yesterday afternoon, would it even be worth it with a blanket of snow that thick on the ground -- especially given the fact that deer in our area aren't used to it like they are in yours perhaps?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh no ,I'd be out there if it hasn't started snowing don't worry about the deer whether they'll be hiding or not ,All deer have these instinct's or will adapt quickly .You said it's not snowing now but it's supposed to this evening ,then I'd get out .The deer know when the weather and what the weather is going to do long before we see the weather forecast .Tonight might be a good night to hunt the field's because they know the snow's coming and will most likely feed up to hold them over the snowfall .But if it's snowing hard ,as I said bedding area's and creek bed's are your best bet for seeing deer.I'm sure if you go out early ,you'll be able to see that the deer have already been out feeding in the field's and they'll be back if your expecting lot's of snow again .I'm not saying deer don't move at all while it's snowing ,they just choose place's to move with the most cover.Good luck MQ1 and let me know how it goes and if you find my advice was correct .This evening I'll be on to check this thread just let me know how you fair out . I've hunted the worst condition's when it involve's high wind's and heavy snow and almost alway's seen deer in these covered area's .Give them a try and I'm sure you'll find this info pretty accurate.

nubo
Old 12-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, nubo.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, though. W'eve ALREADY got eight inches of snow that fell last night. And they're calling for a very slight chance of more this afternoon. But I was really wandering about them moving now that we've already got that big a blanket of snow.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think they'll be bedded until the snow is done. I wouldn't expect much movement today. Your best bet would be still hunting, I doubt a stand would be productive if more snow is coming.
However as soon as it breaks, will be an excellant time to be out, regardless of the time of day.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get out early and see where they've been ,this is a great way of patterning there movement's and where they like to hang out .Generaly this show's there favourite location's to migrate to the field. The field might be a great place to hunt this evening .I usually like to hunt just inside the bush a bit because all the leave's are gone and with everything in white the deer spot full object's pretty well .If the forecast isn't calling for anything too bad then the deer will probably be business as usual..This is a great time to learn your deer's trail's and movement pattern's in new area's.

nubo

Quick Reply: We got eight inches of snow last night!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.