Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I dont understand how carbons can be faster.... >

I dont understand how carbons can be faster....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I dont understand how carbons can be faster....

Old 12-19-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I dont understand how carbons can be faster....

How can carbons be faster? 1 pound is 1 pound whether its gold or feathers, so if an arrow is 6 grains per inch, wouldnt it be the same weight whether its carbon or aluminum? So, how can a carbon be any faster? They both weigh the same, correct? Or is it just the fact that they are skinnier, so less drag? Or am I totally off on this? Please enlighten me. Ive been thinking about this for over a month, just never thought to post it here.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I dont understand how carbons can be faster....

Depends on the carbon arrow you buy. If I were to pic an aluminum shaft for my set up it would be a 2415 which weighs in at 564 +- grains for a finished arrow. Now take a Carbon express CX300 with the same components and it only weighs 400 grains finished.

THat's how a carbon arrow is faster. The carbon arrows typically weigh less grains per inch than aluminum shafts do with similarly spined shafts.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:59 PM

Like bigbulls says. Anything with a higher density will be slower.
For instance, if you have one baseball that weighs five ounces and another baseball that weighs eight ounces, on a line drive, the five ounce ball will hit the short-shop much quicker than the eight ouncer will.
Something with a lesser weight will definitely hit the target sooner as long as there is not a higher level of wind resistance.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

A carbon shaft is stiffer so the shaft absorbs less energy upon release sending it down range sooner and quicker than aluminium.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:22 AM

Yeah, you already adressed the weight issue, so I assume you mean how can a carbon be faster than an aluminum arrow of the same weight. Gutshut pretty much said it. Most believe that because they oscilate less they retain more energer and pick up speed. You could really do the same thing with a stiff aluminum arrow I would think.

It doesn't make sense really other than the above theory. The only time I have a seen a carbon faster than an aluminum of the same weight was when I shot Arrow Dynamics Nitro Stingers. They were also faster than other carbons I tried. Since they are super stiff and only flex at the back half of the shaft there may be something to it.

Most also believe that carbons penitrate better for the same reason, not just because they are so skinny. When an aluminum arrow hits a a target, like a 3-D target it really whips around when it stops. Carbons don't do this so much, so they are wasting less energy on the impact and may sink farther into the target because of it. Then again they have more friction as well so it sort of equals out I guess. I don't think it really matters on game though, unless you hit a bone or something. Then I think you would be better off with a heavier arrow vrs a light stiff one. Just a personal thing though.

Paul
Old 12-24-2004, 09:57 AM

Carbons are faster because they have a faster oscolation rate which allows for faster energy faster which means it will be quicker. They do penetrate better due to there small diameter that gives less friction and they dont ocsolate as much when entering the target and wont push side to side in the wound causing greater friction like aluminum does. as for whitetail. My dad took a buck this year with 372 grain cx300 through one shoulder and the opposite leg bone with a bow shooting 280's or 290's. and that was with a thunderhead 100. So with whitetail I believe arrow weight is not that big of a factor. But shoot what your comfortable with and have been having great results. if it aint broke dont fix it
Old 12-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Down range a carbon arrow vs an aluminum arrow of the same weight will be minutely faster but the difference is irrelevant. Out of the bow at a chrono they will be the same. Too many people say carbon arrows are faster and this is only because they are lighter.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:15 PM

Lightness does not seem to be an issue with Deer, but when going for bigger game, the proper carbon is essential. What most look for in the Carbon arrows is the flatter trajectory. I for one like Carbons, because of their durability, and their falt trajectory when compared to the Aluminums I use to shoot.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:15 PM

I think faster or not I like carbon better When I shot aluminum arrows one shot was all I ever got out of them, since I started shooting gold tips The only one I've lost a fox bit it in half just before I pronounsed him dead the others have passed clean thru deer without much damage
Old 12-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: one shot dave

I think faster or not I like carbon better When I shot aluminum arrows one shot was all I ever got out of them, since I started shooting gold tips The only one I've lost a fox bit it in half just before I pronounsed him dead the others have passed clean thru deer without much damage

I'v never shot a carbon arrow from my bow but find it tough to believe you only got one shot from an aluminum unless it hit a rock or bounced around the woods. I'v got one in my quiver thats been thru 3 deer this year and another thats been thru one & stuck in the ground once when I missed & both still spin true. This from 2219 gamegetters.

Quick Reply: I dont understand how carbons can be faster....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.