Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How cold is too cold for bowhunting? >

How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Old 12-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

I hunt in subzero weather on the late mulie migration here in Idaho. It takes chains to get in and chains to get out. Water freezes inside my pack with activated hand warmers in it, I woke up one morning in the tent and my toothpaste was frozen. It is relatively easy to get up on the deer in snow camoflage. My snow parka is somewhat waterproof and helps keep the water out, I wear poly pro's and wool.

By the way, those yak's in Alaska are muskox. If kodiman is on here, he is familiar with those. He has one mounted in his living room.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:32 PM

Yeah, that's right Mushox. There's another name for them.....Yamuski....or something like that....Inuit language.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Yep Muskox.I plan on hunting Friday and saturday.They are calling for below zero temps here too.I just moved one of my stands last saturday near where I saw some newly placed rubs.Hopefully I tag that buck,I have seen him a few times,then my archery season will be over and time to get down the shanty, the auger,jigs and little polesBill D>
Old 12-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

When the snot freezes before it has a chance to get past your moustache it's too cold to hunt!
But I still go.[&:]
Old 12-23-2004, 09:48 AM

Having been raised in far south Texas (near Harlingen) where it RARELY freezes, you guys are beyond tough! I nearly took a job in Idaho and was really tempted by the "sportsman's paradise" theme, but the average temperatures (especially the highs in the winter) kept me in warmer climates. I'm glad to learn there is not a temperature limit that will affect any of my equipment in Texas. I am impressed with your endurance and stamina. I'd freeze! I get grouchy if it gets much below +40F.....
Old 12-23-2004, 10:33 AM

we do have some tough cookies around here. Temps in the 10's and 12 inch of snow, I hope to take a x-mas present a day early tomorrow
Old 12-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Burdi2, you missed a great opportunity. I hunt where it gets cold sometimes,but I live in a banana belt. Here in the treasure valley it is not too bad in the winter. We get 3-4 inches of snow all winter and the daytime temp is usually around 40 or so. The extreme temps are at higher elevations. Some starting right outside the city. The grass is green in my yard, but I can see the top of a mountain overlooking the city that has 50 inches of snow on the summit. Stanley Idaho is another story. Keep an eye on the nations extreme temperatures. Stanley is usually on it as the coldest in the nation. The way I winter out is to stay in the valley and keep the fire stoked.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you say {HEATER BODY SUITE]
Old 12-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you stop having fun then its to cold
Old 12-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind the cold at all, of course you talking to a fool that once striped down to my underware and swam in the snake river in late Dec to retrive a goose. Ice was flowing down the river so I tied a rope around my waist in case a piece of ice pushed me under, my friends had the other end of the rope. I was a stupid teenager in high school at the time and thats the coldest I have ever been. It was so cold I thought I was going to pass out. I wouldn't ever do that again unless someones life was at risk and I was going in the water to save their life. Anyway back to the subject I wouldn't let any bad or cold weather stop me from bowhunting. Just prepare and dress accordingly.

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.