Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How cold is too cold for bowhunting? >

How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Old 12-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Its too cold for me when I get on stand fidgiting trying to stay warm and then wondering if the deer are smarter than me.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing I would recomend as far as gear goes. Leave that bow outside prior to hunting. Don't take it from a 70 degree house to freezing tempertures right before you hunt.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:23 PM

The only thing I would recomend as far as gear goes. Leave that bow outside prior to hunting. Don't take it from a 70 degree house to freezing tempertures right before you hunt.
How does this matter BowMan?
Old 12-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

: How cold is too cold for bowhunting?
I believe that depends on the person at hand.I was out last saturday in -28c weather(-20f)and it wasnt to bad for 3 hours of hunting,but i was prepaired for it and also accustomed to this great Canadian weather.I have never had a problem with my bow in sub-freezing temps(and hope i never do)
Like NUBO said it was -35c here today,-43c with the wind chill.1 more degree cooler and we would have broke the record of the low this time of year.And think about this,its the last day of fall[X(]
Personally I think today would be to cold for me as well.-43c is pushing it.

I think what IL_BOW_MAN was saying is to let your bow(equipment )climatize.Metals do expand and contract in hot and cold temps.It wont be an instant shocker on the metals and limbs.I hope someone can explain this a little easier then this that will be easier to understand
Old 12-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

believe that depends on the person at hand.I was out last saturday in -28c weather(-20f)and it wasnt to bad for 3 hours of hunting,but i was prepaired for it and also accustomed to this great Canadian weather.I have never had a problem with my bow in sub-freezing temps
extreme,

What were you wearing to stay warm in these temps?
Old 12-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

What were you wearing to stay warm in these temps
Long johns
sweat pants
1 pair of wool socks
t-shirt
cotton long sleeve sweater
wool sweater
and my insulated camo pants and jacket
Pac boots
balaclava
rockey insulated gloves
I like the cold to a point,love ice fishing----cold has never really bothered me,its the wind thats the killer.Only problem i have is keeping my hands warm.I may also pack some hot paws on the real cold days(-28)
Old 12-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Long johns
sweat pants
1 pair of wool socks
t-shirt
cotton long sleeve sweater
wool sweater
and my insulated camo pants and jacket
Pac boots
balaclava
rockey insulated gloves
You have got to be kidding me? I would have frozen completely and utterly to death. You guys trip me out.

Here is what I wore the other day to hunt in 15 degree weather (all day). Bottoms - Polypropolyne underwear(heavy), joggin pants, and heavy bibs Top -Polypropolyne underwear(heavy), Wool windblocker sweater, Artic Shield H2 Jacket, Fleece Outer jacket

Neck Gaitor
Hand warmer with hot hands for my hands
wool socks and 1200 gram Lacrosse Burly boots (feet stayed toastie)
Old 12-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

you guys are crazy if your sitting in a tree in those temps you guys are tough cookies!!...in the late season i switch to a ground blind and shoot my bow from there much more cosy! in there.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Along these lines: Do you guys find deer move earlier, later, or about the same time when it gets this cold? As often, moreso, or less?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

i hunted a few hours yesterday afternoon. it was between 10 and 15 and a bit windy. im good for 2 or 3 hours on those days

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold for bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.