HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   my girl left me cuz she says i chose hunting over her... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/83192-my-girl-left-me-cuz-she-says-i-chose-hunting-over-her.html)

neck4752 12-19-2004 10:21 AM

my girl left me cuz she says i chose hunting over her...

Not a big deal really i guess, was only with her for like 18 months, but im 21 and theres more girls out there. Just bummin about it. I shouldnt have had to choose right? I mean she made me make the choice, and I aint been huntin long but hell she might be beautiful girl but deer are real pretty too.

Oh well I only got a few days left in the season and after finals finish up Im gonna try and get 3 solid days in the woods!

Jim

atlasman 12-19-2004 10:27 AM

RE: my girl left me cuz she says i chose hunting over her...

Better now then getting stuck listening to her bitch at you for the next 40 years.

If she doesn't get it now she never will.

My wife understands that when hunting season rolls around that is where my free time goes. She has me the rest of the year and that works out just fine for us.

buckeye 12-19-2004 10:30 AM

Atlas just layed it down pretty straight.

Good advice!

HUNGAR 12-19-2004 10:42 AM

Your right you shouldn't have to choose. My wife doesn't like how much I hunt, but she knows how happy it makes me and doesn't hassle me a bit she will even ask me if I'm going out before she commits us to anything. I also let her know how great I think she is for taking care of the boys and alot of other things I should be doing during the season. I think you made the right choice because if you think that you can change her your probably wrong, good luck on the next one your still so young. Take the next one out shinning (if legal) and glassing fields and see how she reacts, my wife actually enjoys this or maybe she just likes being with me and kids while we do it.:D:D:D

Elkcrazy8 12-19-2004 10:43 AM

Good riddins'.As I always say, I miss my ex-wife but my aim is getting better. I got sick of hearing the me over hunting thing too. Just made me want to hunt more. After that divorce I told the gals up front. I ain't changing for nobody. Love me for who I am or hit the road. Women came and went and hunting always stayed the same. I have been with the same one for 5 years now and she encourages me to go all the time. It makes me more tolerable when I am home. It also makes me hunt better knowing that I am not going to get a line of crap when I walk through the door. Good luck to you and happy hunting.

cardeer 12-19-2004 11:12 AM

Adios ,your better off without her. Let her marry some wimp and train him

dohcrxl 12-19-2004 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: neck4752

I mean she made me make the choice, and I aint been huntin long but hell she might be beautiful girl but deer are real pretty too.
LOL but you can't make love a deer. Well... maybe someone wont agree but I think you've gotta set woman time and woods time and be fair to both. If I had to, I suppose I could hunt the rest of my life and just maintain a monogamous intimate relationship with my hand but it'd be nice to have some woman once a while too.

IL-Cornfed 12-19-2004 11:56 AM

......well I'm gonna miss her.... NOT!! :D Don't need her then, UNLESS he Daddy has several acres!!! ;) Seriously, tell her that it took several years to get those antlers and mounts on your walls. Then simply remind her that it didn't take nowhere near that long to tag her! See ya baby! [:'(]

kevin1 12-19-2004 11:58 AM

She left because you chose hunting over her ,
and the question is ... ? ;)

I'll bet you'll miss her ... NOT !!

finner 12-19-2004 12:30 PM

Neck,

i went through the same ordeal last spring with my girlfriend but it was fishing in which i chose over her, it was hard at first to move, but after a while it was too bad...i guess the key is to find one that loves the outdoors as much as you do...or to find one that can tolerate you fishing and hunting ever day!!

mauser06 12-19-2004 12:41 PM

man im feeling lucky......i must have a keeper....girl was never around guns...hunting..fishing....outdoors.....nothing... ..i met her a month before hunting season......she saw my room and my truck and knew i loved to hunt.....told her i do.....and i hunt and fish alot.....sometimes i take trips and theres no way to reach me for a few days at a time....but im not ALWAYS gone....i showed her my picture album and she said she never saw anyone smile like that....it must really make me happy....and she understands hunting comes once a year.....and when i get a chance to go she doesnt mind.....i told her before season started it wont effect us and ill make time for her.....and i did......saturdays were mainly the only days i could hunt due to work all week and no hunting on sundays.....so id come home shower and go out with her....hunting seasons over.....i made it.....she is facinated by my turkey beard hanging from my rear view mirror.....and loves to hear hunting stories...and she asked me why i hunt one nite....i explained it all....from being in the woods when everything awakens and the sun comes up...till the sun setting over a field and listeng to the woods fall asleep....she loved it....i think ill hold on to her........keep lookin buddy.....youll find someone that dont mind you hunting......thats one of the first things i let girls find out....i know alot dont like it....but they dont even know WHY they dont like it....ewwww you hunt.....the end....women.................

Jack Ryan 12-19-2004 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Better now then getting stuck listening to her bitch at you for the next 40 years.

If she doesn't get it now she never will.

My wife understands that when hunting season rolls around that is where my free time goes. She has me the rest of the year and that works out just fine for us.
Ditto!

Good riddance.

Now you can find a GOOD one to replace her. One who can skin deer and clean fish. You got to get more choosy about who you date.

neck4752 12-19-2004 02:42 PM

thanks guys, I ll tell ya im down about it but this cheers me up reading these posts. Up here in liberal Taxachsetts there are not many girls at all that hunt or can bait their own hook even with a rubber worm, and hell i live on the outskirts of the Peoples Republic of Cambridge. haha

Thanks for all the words guys

Jim

nubo 12-19-2004 02:52 PM

My wife knew how much hunting was a part of my life before she met me ,she has her own interest's such as baseball ,which I don't play anymore because i would sooner spend time in the wood's .Your still young and as you say there's lot's of girl's out there and there's definetly one that will appreciate you for the person that you are and respect the hobbies that you choose ,no string's attached . I know there's time's that my wife get's a little ansy about how much time I spend hunting but she know's it's my passion.

Nubo

dkeener 12-19-2004 03:37 PM

Damn, I choose all kinds of things over my wife and she won't leave me..........
< ducking >
Ouch! Quit hitting me!
damn, I gotta go....

bob d 12-19-2004 03:56 PM

your better off

extreme1 12-19-2004 04:10 PM

If I had to, I suppose I could hunt the rest of my life and just maintain a monogamous intimate relationship with my hand but it'd be nice to have some woman once a while too
LMAO---that is still cracking me up;)

My wife used to be a little picky on when I go and when i return but now she dosn't bother me as much.We been together for 14 years and married for 10 and she knew what she got when she married me----I told her I would never change the way I love the outdoors.
Probably best that you dropped her for the deer anyways because if you stayed with her it would only get worse,and just imagine if you's had a kid together.
There are alot more"white tails"in the bush,sooner or later you will find one that likes you for who you are and what you do.Intill then have fun searching for the right one and good luck hunting,your young,have fun:)

livbucks 12-19-2004 08:43 PM

You say she left?
Problem solved..........

What was your question again?

kodiak41226 12-19-2004 09:00 PM

Consider yourself lucky. Many girls maskerade that they don't care how much you hunt, until you marry them. You should be thanking your lucky star that she showed the "I'll hate you for hunting" characterisctics early; it will save you from the "Big D" down the road.

My best hunting buddy only made it into the woods once this season, and you ask "why would he limit himself to one trip?" and he answers "I'm trying to not get divorced." Its no way to live, trust me.

Straightarrow 12-20-2004 05:06 AM

There are plenty of women out there who will let a guy have his hobbies and hunting time, without hassle. However, no matter who it is, you have to learn to give as well as take. Relationships don't last long if you don't figure out ways to make it up to your woman. There are a million ways to do this and all it takes is a little thought to figure out what will work for you.

The smart guy figures out a way to reward his girl with something special and to relate it to her tolerance of all his hunting. Pretty soon she'll be kicking you into the woods in order to get more of those "rewards". Just keep in mind, that guys who are always gone and do nothing to make up for it, will probably die a lonely soul.

muzzyman88 12-20-2004 05:11 AM

Yep, that wasn't the one. If it was, she wouldn't mind you choosing hunting over her for a few months out of the year.

Look at the bright side. You get to do more hunting now. Hunting for deer and women.:D

gibblet 12-20-2004 06:23 AM

never know what's going to happen. she might realize the woods are a lot better than the bars, hang in there. and when the debate comes up again with your next girl you'll be a lot better prepared in how to explain things to her in a good way, and to avoid this issue and be in the woods all season. one thing i do is encourage jaime in all her hobbies all year, and if it means i take care of a bit more than my share sometimes, so be it - because during season she sure does. some guys here are like cavemen, and i would not listen to them if you want a woman that can think for herself - which is the only kind worth having.

joshtribe 12-20-2004 06:30 AM

We all love hunting.

No matter how much we love hunting, no matter how great our passion for it, we should never put it above the more important things in life...like family and friends, God, and country. Once your priorities are in line, hunt 'til the cows come home.

As far as women are concerned, if they don't share your passion for hunting, it's always best to meet their needs before your own. When the significant other is happy, everyone is happy. What I'm saying is prioritize...women always come before hunting. IMO.

adams 12-20-2004 06:39 AM

I'm sorry but there is a bright side. She's a girlfriend and not a wife and you found out now. Had you been married, she either have ended hunting for you or taken half of what you own.[:@]

You're still young and the ocean is huge. There are women out there who support your hunting and some that even want to participate. I can understand being bummed but in all honesty it could be much worse.

silentassassin 12-20-2004 06:56 AM

Neck,

You are better off, so don't worry about it.

No matter how much we love hunting, no matter how great our passion for it, we should never put it above the more important things in life...like family and friends, God, and country. Once your priorities are in line, hunt 'til the cows come home.

Josh,

I agree with you there.

As far as women are concerned, if they don't share your passion for hunting, it's always best to meet their needs before your own. When the significant other is happy, everyone is happy. What I'm saying is prioritize...women always come before hunting. IMO.
But I disagree with you pretty strongly there as it appears most everyone else does. You are going to wind up being miserable if you always put your needs and wants behind those of your woman. Not to mention most women have no respect for a man that is so easily controlled and will typically wind up leaving him. Relationships are give and take for both parties. If you blanketly choose a woman over hunting then I would say that hunting doesn't mean as much to you as it does the rest of us. If a woman loved you then she wouldn't make you choose in the first place. Ask yourself do you really want to be with a woman that puts her feelings so far above your own? Secondly, 50% of the marrigaes in this country end in divorce. I never heard of hunting divorcing anyone. There are certainly times when you have to choose your woman over hunting and most of us know when that is. As others have said it's give and take and you need to give concessions to keep her happy as well. You have to give some things here and there and not go on hunts that you would have liked to etc. etc. but a blanket policy of the woman is always right, isn't the right answer either.

BobCo19-65 12-20-2004 07:08 AM

I used to try to let them know up front about hunting. Luckily, I found one that is OK with it and doesn't want me to change the things that I love. They are out there, just have to find them. Sorry to hear of your loss.

joshtribe 12-20-2004 07:09 AM

Hehe....maybe I said it wrong assassin.

Too much of my mom's influence I guess...listening to her rant when Daddy off hunting...haha.

I see your point, and I bet you are right.

Heck, I'm young, unmarried, don't even have a girlfriend at the moment, so what do I know about relationships. Should have stayed out of this conversation...lol.

livbucks 12-20-2004 07:30 AM

I see somewhat of a consensus here. Honor your woman, meet her needs, support her in her endeavors. When it comes time to do your thing, (hunting), make a stand. If she prohibits you from doing this she is not being supportive of you. If she gives you an ultimatum, (If you go I'll leave) then you must close the door and go hunting, let the chips fall where they may. If you are the caveman type all year, then it is all your fault though, for marriage is a partnership, not a dictatorship.

Bird Hunt Dog 12-20-2004 07:59 AM

My wife used to get on my case a little during the hunting season. After I got her a bow and in a stand she doesn't complain any more. Wait a minute. She's not complaining because she's in the stand and I'm at home with the kids.[&:] No....She didn't hunt this year because she didn't shoot much this summer, and wasn't comfortable in her accuracy. But still understood completely when I was out.

Charlie P 12-20-2004 08:49 AM

When my wife and I first started living together she wanted me to go to her Mom's on Thanksgiving morming. Told her I was hunting, and she started complaining. She thought she won the argument until she woke up and I wasn't there.Left her a note telling her when I'd meet her.

Well it will be 15 years of marrige this news years eve,and she's never argued with me again about going hunting.

DavidPaul007 12-20-2004 08:55 AM

I tell you what...if while dating this woman she was already laying out an ultimatum, then IMO you are better off without her.

When you're dating you don't belong to each other, and a demand like that is uncalled for. If this early in the game she's trying to make you choose between her and something else you love then she would play that card over and over again throughout marriage anytime there was something she felt threatened by.

Yes, in marriage there will be days you don't go hunting becuase your wife wants you to do something for her. In that sense your family should come first. However, if your wife loves and supports you she will want you to go out and enjoy yourself even if it mean she has to give you up for a bit.

You did the right thing.

fletch920 12-20-2004 08:59 AM

I cant believe some of the responses you recieved. Some of these guys have no clue what it takes to have a serious relationship. It sounds like as long as they can do whatever they want whenever they want with no regard for others, their life is good. Take it from someone that has actually been happily married for nearly 15 years, they dont have a clue. Marriage and family is always a two-way street. Some have mentioned priorities and they are right that family must be number one. You will have plenty of time to do the things you enjoy and be happier knowing you did the right thing. If you feel that you need all of your free time for you then you really dont deserve a family. By the way, I am as avid as anyone I know when it comes to the outdoors but you cant let it consume your life if you plan on having a life that includes others.

quiksilver 12-20-2004 09:53 AM

I agree with Fletch. If you want to have a great relationship with a self-respecting, intelligent woman, you've gotta bend a little.

Men tend to have addictive personalities. We can get really wrapped up in a hobby, pastime, or any other form of indulgence at the expense of those around us. Hunting is a weakness of mine.

IMO, a lot of this big talk around here about not needing a girl or standing up from your rights comes from those who have made a bad decision and want you to make the same.

Hey, maybe this chick wasn't right for ya, but when the right one does come along, she is NOT gonna appreciate 24-7 hunting. You'll have to break down and learn about COACH handbags, watch girlie movies, and be nice to all of her friends (even if they drive you insane). Over time, she won't sweat ya so much and your free time will again increase. It's just a phase they go through, I think.

daystalker 12-20-2004 09:59 AM

first youre 21!

DONT get in any rush to get married! and yes you have to bend a little, but come on.. if someone isnt gonna love you for who you are.. and i dont care who you are if yoru an avid hunter, thats part of WHO you are. thats not the only thing that defines YOU but it is a part, and if someone cant deal with that part of you then oh well...

hes not married...

my advice Neck, getting married is expensive... but no where near as expensive as the BIG D! make the right choice and pick the woman that will love you for who you are.... and dont settle.. it will only hurt you and those around you especially since you will feel like you settled and probabaly wont be 110% there for them... somewhere in the back of your head you will want something else...

if she couldnt deal with you hunting and as 18 months shes seen two seasons if my math isnt correct.. thats long enough to know if she was against your hobbies!

man am i glad my wife understands ME for who I AM! good luck

Charlie P 12-20-2004 10:04 AM

fletch920,I guess it what works for the happily married couple.

Marriage and family is always a two-way street.
That's why she understands during the short hunting season she needs to relax.

Some have mentioned priorities and they are right that family must be number one.
That's why I take my son with me.;)

If you feel that you need all of your free time for you then you really dont deserve a family
Not all my free time just during the pre-rut and rut.

antlergetter 12-20-2004 10:16 AM

After reading all the replies I just had to reply to this one. I agree with the majority in saying your better off. Your better off waiting as long as you possibly can to get married!! I miss playing the fields sometimes myself.....however I dont regret it because I now have a beautiful son and future permanent hunting partner!! But in your shoes, you have no kids and no attachments so stick to understanding women. As far as fletch's statement, I agree that you have to bend alittle....but letting them know your habits and hobbies up front will eliminate alot of "bending" later on. If a woman cant love who you are, you dont need her. I think Charlie P said it right on.

fletch920 12-20-2004 10:17 AM

Someone's feeling a little guilty.

chazspot 12-20-2004 10:31 AM

Who gives ultimatum’s like that? If her approach to getting what she wants is offering ultimatums then she is not being fair.

Another question for you; would you give an ultimatum knowing that the relationship has a 50/50 shot of ending right there? Actually, the odds are better it will end. One who offers ultimatums has a lot to learn about life. Don't be the guinea pig to a self-indulgent, girl who doesn't think things through.

Charlie P 12-20-2004 10:40 AM

Someone's feeling a little guilty
You talking about me.lol. No guilt here.Just not whipped.:D You have no idea the amount of time I spend with my family.

You talk about a two way street what my wife does for me during the hunting season is her side of that street.She realizes it's a short season and I love it, so she scarifices for me just as I do for her at other times. Our bow season is just four weeks and the days I really want to be in the woods amount to about 2.5 weeks out of those. I don't enjoy gun hunting as much as I used to so she knows when it comes to that special time during bow season she needs to be a understanding.

She needs me to go shopping or do something with her. The stores are open after the sun goes down, right.

We're talking about a woman that see's stuff in the Preadtor camo Bargain room and orders it for me.She's really happy for me when I get a deer.

So the leaves get raked a little later then the neighbors big deal.

Take it from someone that has actually been happily married for nearly 15 years, they dont have a clue.
Your wife make you type this?[8D]

quiksilver 12-20-2004 11:28 AM

For some of us, hunting season isn't just a couple weeks.

For example - Spring turkey begins in May, lasting about 6 weeks. Enter summer groundhog hunting/deer scouting. By September, the focus shifts to bowhunting - scouting/spotlighting and finally... hunting. That climaxes in December with rifle season, and I've hunted every off-day since May. We get a two-week break before flintlock and late archery return. Those lead into winter rabbit season. Then, a few months 'till Spring gobbler returns...

So, given the harsh reality that I can (and want to) hunt something practically every day, I see the need to "bend."

Now if that woman of yours whines about a few days of rifle season, and can't give you THAT much space, then she might need psychiatric help, and you probably were smart for jumping ship.