HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/83083-how-many-hours-stand-no-deer-year.html)

bscofield 12-18-2004 09:26 AM

How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

So... How many hours have you been in the stand this year and still not come out with a deer? I've spent around 75 hours since October 1st. and still have yet to come out with anything (not even a doe). I've had 3 very large bucks around me but not within range. A few does but have not been able to get a shot off.

So how about you? Is there anyone doing worse than me??!;)

P.S. this is my 3rd year hunting with no deer.

extreme1 12-18-2004 09:33 AM

RE: How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

I am not sure how many hours I have logged up in my bowhunting adventures,but its alot.I have yet to get a deer this season,not because I never had the oppertunity but because I chose not to take the shot.Almost everytime I head out in the woods I see a deer,alot of times in range,but just not the one I want,I know there are some big ones out there and thats what im waiting for.
I am getting desperate now though,only a few weeks left[:o]

atlasman 12-18-2004 09:41 AM

I have spent 19 days in the woods this year (bow+gun) without even SEEING a single deer.

I have seen them on other days and have killed 4 total (1 bow+3 gun) but there have been MANY days when all I saw was the empty woods all around me.

Those 19 days are scattered over 4 counties, 250 miles and at least 7-8 different forests.

But as we all know...........we have a problem with deer populations in NY. There are so many out there that we just can't keep up......no matter how many we kill.

:eek:

Maybe next year our brilliant DEC will give out 10 tags per hunter [:o]

Fieldmouse 12-18-2004 09:43 AM

bscofield, I feel for you. I think only once or twice this year I went out without a deer with in range. If you ever make it out east next year, I'll put you on some deer.

Good luck, stick with it and start now looking for more property to hunt. When I started Bow hunting it took me 3 years to shoot one and also I hooked up with some great freinds who took me under their wing to help me out.

cardeer 12-18-2004 10:48 AM

Over 300 hours and 3 deer

TURKEY FAN 12-18-2004 11:07 AM

This is a funny topic!! I am very fortunate to live where deer hunting is thriving. My uncle had taken all of ohio guns season off from work to kill him a nice buck or doe. The last friday of the season i got off work at 1:00p.m and headed towards the farm. I knew my uncle tony was already down there and hunting i just didnt know exactly where. So it was 3:00p.m by the time i got there and got changed. I snuck up what we call bob-cat creek and cut across to a deer stand we had built the year before. I got settled in with my 870 remington, and 15minutes later here comes a mature doe, and ***POW!!** a mature doe was down on the ground. I finished my ohio gun season and it was my first day out the entire season, and my uncle has been hunting for 5 days straight with no luck!![:o] I believe its the right time at the right place.

zak123 12-18-2004 02:16 PM

I have been in my stand for about 50 hours and haven't even seen a deer!

Allseasonhunter7 12-18-2004 02:36 PM

almost 100 or more with no deer

Blodg 12-18-2004 03:30 PM

Funny you should ask because I keep notes in a log book for every time I go out. I have kept track of my hunting stats for over 15 years now. I love looking back through my log book and re-living some of the memories when I read my notes. Anyways I just looked and added up this year:

46 1/2 hours on stand since Oct. 16th
63 deer sightings
6 passed shots (deer within 20 yards but I chose not to shoot)
2 mature buck sightings (my son shot one of them at 16 yards)

No deer yet, have not even drawn my bow on one. This year was different for me because it was my son's first year hunting and I spent the peak of the rut at our best location attempting to put my son on a deer. He was able to take a mature buck in his first year hunting so even if I go without a deer I consider this a very succesful year!

JoshKeller 12-18-2004 07:20 PM

Longest I've gone this year without seeing a deer has been 4 hours. But it has been a good year with all the mast.

DearSlayer357 12-18-2004 07:26 PM

Probably close to 100 hours close to 100 deer and nothing to show for it. Shot and missed at 2 deer during gun season. 4 shots

adkfreeridex 12-18-2004 07:37 PM

only about 40 hours...its hard i can only hunt when i get home from college on break. i have seen lots of does, only 1 4" spikey. have not seen anything i wanted to shoot.

rcd567 12-18-2004 09:23 PM

I spent six days in the trees without seeing anything. Then I saw a few does and finally a nice buck presented itself and I got him. Spent alot more time in the woods trying to find a nice doe. I logged a lot of time this year but didn't keep track of hours. Saw lots of little deer, and a few small bucks but didn't shoot.

I always tell my son...try to enjoy the experience, if you do it because you want to shoot, well try the 3D target in the yard.

Jack Ryan 12-18-2004 10:34 PM

Just the fact this thread even exists speak monumentous volumes on just how much deer hunting has impoved over the last 20 years.

HOURS!
ROTFLMAO!
LOLOLOLOL!

mrlizzzard 12-19-2004 06:55 AM

Bout 200 hrs.Saw my buck 3 times ,not a clear shot .Did not shoot the few yrlings I saw and let a big,big doe walk because I new my buck was behind her.Today I did 3 hrs.,driving snow 20 degrees got out of my blind cause I felt it was gonna blow over with me in it and not a track! That's hunting!

tonight's the night,
lizzzard

bscofield 12-19-2004 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

Just the fact this thread even exists speak monumentous volumes on just how much deer hunting has impoved over the last 20 years.

HOURS!
ROTFLMAO!
LOLOLOLOL!

Seems to me that since our hour measurements are all the way up into the 3 digits that it's not so different. You act tho we'd said we'd gone 4 hours or something...

dohcrxl 12-19-2004 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

Longest I've gone this year without seeing a deer has been 4 hours. But it has been a good year with all the mast.
Try getting off that game farm of yours and venture into public lands where there are a million and one different special gun hunts going on at any given moment and see how you do. ;) jk, I'm sure you are just a seasoned hunter with much experience and of course a nice plot of prime land.

Me? I've clocked in about 60 hours since November without a single arrow flying. I did see a 120ish class buck and a group of does but that was it. Since then it has been 50 hrs.

mez 12-19-2004 09:29 AM

About 50 hours and I have seen three does, all out of bow range. I moved to Texas this summer and the hunting is a lot different that what I'm used to so I haven't figured it out yet. The area I'm in does not have a lot of deer by Texas standards and they seem to be concentrated in certain areas. Unfortuneately the places I have permission don't seem to be those areas. Hoping to do better next year.

brino 12-19-2004 10:13 AM

300+ hours seen a few nothing worth getting bloody over

nubo 12-19-2004 11:17 AM

Well !I've gone over 70 hrs and no deer either for bowhunting,I've had lot's of chance's at smaller buck's early in the season but was holding out for the right one .I continue to have lot's of doe's and fawn's close ,but I'm not interested in them since, I've already got 2 deer in the freezer from the rifle hunt .Even if a smaller buck show's now I guess I'll have to take him since the season is almost over .

nubo

Jack Ryan 12-19-2004 02:26 PM

Seems to me that since our hour measurements are all the way up into the 3 digits that it's not so different. You act tho we'd said we'd gone 4 hours or something...
Where you hunting Indiana in the '70's?

CLOUD 9, MN 12-19-2004 06:40 PM

It wasn't as good of a season as last year.......but still fun!

About 60 hours in the tree (roughly 20 trips, 2 - 2 1/2 hour each)

Saw about 55 deer

passed up about 11 doe shots (inside 25 yards)

passed up 5 small buck shots (inside 20 yards)

took one shot, and got one big doe. (shot at 18 yards)

Saw no mature adult bucks (big ones!)

The season isn't over yet! We still have until December 31 and I'm hoping to still get out a few times.

Good Luck!

bscofield 12-19-2004 09:01 PM

i think I said that in the original post that I'd only been hunting 3 years... Hunting one state doesn't really give you all that much perspective anyway.

Just sounds like the whole post was a, "In my day we had to hunt with our bare hands, bare foot in the snow! Uphill both ways, that's how the deer used to run!" Type of a post... :)

PSE Hunter for Life 12-21-2004 06:43 PM

I have hunted more this year than ever cant give you an exact hrs maybe 70-80?? I have seen some deer. I saw the biggest deer i have ever seen alive but it was 50yds and I dont shot that far with a bow. But its still better than work.

antlergetter 12-21-2004 10:00 PM

Nearly 100 hours seeing only 1 doe while in the tree!! Then I find the buck I hunted for 2 years dead. The past two seasons I have logged over 250 hours in a tree and only seen a few does, and the buck I missed last year which I found dead this year (the beast is dead pics). My hunting area took a nose dive due to several factors, but its getting better all the time! With only 10 days left this season, I'm already preparing to scout and plan for next years hunting.

dkbs 12-22-2004 05:02 AM

Hello
I can't tell you how many hows I have been in stand during the year, but during the 13 days I had off in early November I was in stand 114 hours. Three of those 13 days, I hunted only half the day since I had other commitments. Most full days were from dawn to dusk in the same treestand. During this time I passed up 11 does and three bucks. One buck was a nice eight pointer, but I was after a huge buck.
So now I'm trying to complete the task during the late season.

Dan

silentassassin 12-22-2004 06:19 AM

I haven't killed a deer since mid-October. However, that has been my choice as I have been waiting on a thumper. In that time I have probably hunted around 80 hours.

Double Creek 12-22-2004 07:33 AM

Well, things have been bad for me. Here are the stats, not including the week trip to IL:

31 times I have climbed a tree
65.5 hours in stand, includes some 1 hr hunts
12 total deer sighting in the stand
4 bucks, 3 of which were spikes
8 does
I have had 4 deer in range, 2 does and 2 spikes

I killed the 2 does.

My season is still going strong and I expect my deer per hour ratio to increase dramatically over the next month.

Still a dismail season for me.

Justin 12-22-2004 08:08 AM

I've had a pretty dismal season as well. :(

I don't even know how many trips or hours I've spent in stand, but it's been quite a few. Pretty much at least 2 outings per weekend from mid September through the end of November, including a 3 day weekend during the rut, and a few weekday hunts. I've seen 3 shooter bucks all season while on stand, one that busted me, one that was too far for a shot and trailing some does, and one that I got a bad hit on and lost. :( Nice 140"+ buck too. After that I pretty much hung my bow up for the season. I really don't have much of a drive to go out in the freezing cold right now, and I'm still so torn up about the one I lost that I almost feel like my season is over anyways. I did manage to score a nice doe in October, so at least I got some meat in the freezer. Definitely a bad year for me though. Everyone I hunt with saw more bucks this year than ever before, and for some reason I've seen fewer than ever before. I think I'm cursed.

EatsLead 12-22-2004 09:04 AM

I have more than 50 hours in and nothing to show. I have seen 20 deer, passed on a fawn/small doe and a spike one day, and missed a nice doe at 30 yards another day (I am beating myself up about that one, first miss in 11 years!). All of this occured during regular bow season. At the time I thought it was a little slow but I figured I would get something during gun season. However, I did not seen a single deer since gun season opened several weeks ago. My season is over now and being skunked is tough to swallow. It has been quite a while.

Part of the problem is my own. A neighboring property did a lot of logging last year and the deer moved into that area after the apples, etc were gone. I was pretty slow to realize this.

gutshot 12-22-2004 12:29 PM

I've spent somewhere between 70-90 hours and have only saw 12 deer and only 5 of them in range. With 2 kills and 2 misses it's been a bad year. It's funny how it seems alot of people are having bad years and then next year everyone will have a good year.

BolognaSniper 12-22-2004 02:06 PM

Ive been in one of my 2 stands every saturday since October 16th. I have only seen 3 deer. This year has been terrible for me. I know they are there ! They have eaten more than 700 pounds of corn ( along with a little help from the turkey and squirels ) and have tracks everywhere around my feeder and my small food plot. Ive got about 7 more weeks so maybe the deer gods will help?

NOVA14 12-23-2004 11:00 AM

I spent 96 hours on stand before I shot a deer
I saw deer every time but twice.
on the 97th hour i shot a doe, and on the 98th shot another doe. two deer on the same hunt with my Knight Super Disc .45. Man I love that gun

JoshKeller 12-23-2004 08:55 PM

Try getting off that game farm of yours and venture into public lands where there are a million and one different special gun hunts going on at any given moment and see how you do. jk, I'm sure you are just a seasoned hunter with much experience and of course a nice plot of prime land.
Actually, I'm spending half of my time on public land (sleepy creek wma), and a private section that borders the wma. I have one spot that connects doe bedding areas to a few various food sources that I can regularly go when the wind is right and see 50 does in a morning. And lets not forget that every peice of "prime land" I've hunted in the past 5 years is now a parking lot or development. :(

duramaxlt 12-26-2004 10:37 AM

well i spent 2 weeks in illinois hunting around 7 to 8 hours a day.and probably 20 days afield here in ga. and i have an empty freezer.its sad to say but i haven,t taken a deer since opening day of bowseason in ga. last year when i harvested a doe.