Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)?? >

How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

Old 12-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

Seems to me that since our hour measurements are all the way up into the 3 digits that it's not so different. You act tho we'd said we'd gone 4 hours or something...
Where you hunting Indiana in the '70's?
Old 12-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It wasn't as good of a season as last year.......but still fun!

About 60 hours in the tree (roughly 20 trips, 2 - 2 1/2 hour each)

Saw about 55 deer

passed up about 11 doe shots (inside 25 yards)

passed up 5 small buck shots (inside 20 yards)

took one shot, and got one big doe. (shot at 18 yards)

Saw no mature adult bucks (big ones!)

The season isn't over yet! We still have until December 31 and I'm hoping to still get out a few times.

Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

i think I said that in the original post that I'd only been hunting 3 years... Hunting one state doesn't really give you all that much perspective anyway.

Just sounds like the whole post was a, "In my day we had to hunt with our bare hands, bare foot in the snow! Uphill both ways, that's how the deer used to run!" Type of a post...
Old 12-21-2004, 06:43 PM

I have hunted more this year than ever cant give you an exact hrs maybe 70-80?? I have seen some deer. I saw the biggest deer i have ever seen alive but it was 50yds and I dont shot that far with a bow. But its still better than work.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:00 PM

Nearly 100 hours seeing only 1 doe while in the tree!! Then I find the buck I hunted for 2 years dead. The past two seasons I have logged over 250 hours in a tree and only seen a few does, and the buck I missed last year which I found dead this year (the beast is dead pics). My hunting area took a nose dive due to several factors, but its getting better all the time! With only 10 days left this season, I'm already preparing to scout and plan for next years hunting.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Hello
I can't tell you how many hows I have been in stand during the year, but during the 13 days I had off in early November I was in stand 114 hours. Three of those 13 days, I hunted only half the day since I had other commitments. Most full days were from dawn to dusk in the same treestand. During this time I passed up 11 does and three bucks. One buck was a nice eight pointer, but I was after a huge buck.
So now I'm trying to complete the task during the late season.

Dan
Old 12-22-2004, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't killed a deer since mid-October. However, that has been my choice as I have been waiting on a thumper. In that time I have probably hunted around 80 hours.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:33 AM

Well, things have been bad for me. Here are the stats, not including the week trip to IL:

31 times I have climbed a tree
65.5 hours in stand, includes some 1 hr hunts
12 total deer sighting in the stand
4 bucks, 3 of which were spikes
8 does
I have had 4 deer in range, 2 does and 2 spikes

I killed the 2 does.

My season is still going strong and I expect my deer per hour ratio to increase dramatically over the next month.

Still a dismail season for me.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a pretty dismal season as well.

I don't even know how many trips or hours I've spent in stand, but it's been quite a few. Pretty much at least 2 outings per weekend from mid September through the end of November, including a 3 day weekend during the rut, and a few weekday hunts. I've seen 3 shooter bucks all season while on stand, one that busted me, one that was too far for a shot and trailing some does, and one that I got a bad hit on and lost. Nice 140"+ buck too. After that I pretty much hung my bow up for the season. I really don't have much of a drive to go out in the freezing cold right now, and I'm still so torn up about the one I lost that I almost feel like my season is over anyways. I did manage to score a nice doe in October, so at least I got some meat in the freezer. Definitely a bad year for me though. Everyone I hunt with saw more bucks this year than ever before, and for some reason I've seen fewer than ever before. I think I'm cursed.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM

I have more than 50 hours in and nothing to show. I have seen 20 deer, passed on a fawn/small doe and a spike one day, and missed a nice doe at 30 yards another day (I am beating myself up about that one, first miss in 11 years!). All of this occured during regular bow season. At the time I thought it was a little slow but I figured I would get something during gun season. However, I did not seen a single deer since gun season opened several weeks ago. My season is over now and being skunked is tough to swallow. It has been quite a while.

Part of the problem is my own. A neighboring property did a lot of logging last year and the deer moved into that area after the apples, etc were gone. I was pretty slow to realize this.

Quick Reply: How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.