Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't let this happen to you >

Don't let this happen to you

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't let this happen to you

Old 12-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Don't let this happen to you

I have a friend that doesn't wear one. He said he doesn't like them and that i have a family to raise he doesn't.

I use a chest harness and found it very restrictive with just the tail that was supplied. I added 3' of strap to it and now have very good movement. I would be very pissed if the safety harness screwed up my dream buck.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well is a dream buck worth your family crying at your bed side?

Most of the deaths in hunting season come from falls.

I make sure I can draw after getting up in the stand.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I feel if you are in good physical condition, alert and prepared for the hunt in all aspects- take the garb off and enjoy the hunt.
Posts like this are the reason I don't look for advice on the internet.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Fieldmouse,
i know yoru pain... the restrictiveness sucks for those chest harnesses...
it might cost a few more $$ but go to a rock climbing outfitter, and check out what they got.. i bought one for 59$ on sale that has padded legloops, and a padded wasite loop... what i figure is 59$ is a cheap price to pay to keep me safe and my family with a provider that can walk... without the aid of handicapped device...

i hope everyone wears SOME sort of retsraining device... its just LOGICAL!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:10 AM

That's a very tough break but you live to hunt another day. Crap happens in the woods. Even the most agile of people can doze off and take a fall. It happens every year.

Good luck in December!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Too bad on the buck, no doubt. But wear a safety device. I would probably not be here typing if not for one several years ago. The stand broke right from underneath me. It wouldn't have mattered what my physical condition was or how careful I was. Please be safe, they'll grow more bucks, but they cannot replace you.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:10 PM

thats a tough break. stuff like that eats at you all year long. next time your in pike county, go to the Red Dome in Pittsfield, have some Prime Rib and a beer, and tell the bartender all about. Just make sure you leave a good tip, I'm maried to her!!
Old 12-17-2004, 02:35 PM

Fieldmouse,

Any safety strap is better than none, but the chest harness can be very dangerous if you fall. Many hunters get into big trouble after they fall and are hanging from the tree. A chest harness only, will restrict your breathing and you will pass out very quickly. If someone does not cut you down fast you will DIE!
Go spend $60 on a "Seat -o-the Pants" harness and learn how to use it. It fits over all your clothing and in case of a fall, will save your life.
Also, you should always have your strap set so if you do fall, you have a good chance of climbing back into your stand.
That said, I too check to make sure the strap is not in the way of the draw.

Gravity will always win, you can only hope for a tie!

Good luck, be safe, you are special to somone or many. Do it for their sake.

Happy holidays!
Old 12-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know I should have checked my draw and evem thought of doing it several times. Lucky for the buck every time I thought of it I had deer near by. That I knew I should have checked makes it worse. But I guess all things happen for a reason, maybe one of the guys reading this post will decide to wear a vest and eventually avoid injury. I will have to look into getting a longer strap. Prime rib at the Red Dog sounds good. I will perhaps have my newyears eve dinner there. And if I connect on a big one the bartender is likely to get a nice tip..............dabow
Old 12-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Shhhh,

That's interesting about that. Mine is the chest/shoulder harness. I switched to it because I use to have just the strap that went around the waist. That one was the one that I heard was good for breaking ribs and cutting off your breathing. I read you should have the chest/shoulder harness. I would agree that the seat of the pants is more comfortable but insn't clothing in the way? I find on cold days I have to wear my harness inside my outer coat.

I'm also aware of the falling aspect. If I fall, I will be at the base height of my stand and if I haven't eaten too many big mac's before the hunt I can crawl back into it.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Don't let this happen to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.