Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which do you shoot for? >

Which do you shoot for?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which do you shoot for?

Old 12-14-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Which do you shoot for?

Do you shoot for the exit or the entry?

I shoot for the exit, because I sure would hate to lose an arrow. So now what about you and why?

I think we can get something going here.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which do you shoot for?

I feel you need to do a little of both. On a steep down angle, the perfect path to the exit is blocked by the spine. So I would aim below the spine and exit a little low. For a arrow to come out in the right place you have to hit in the right place. So I say both at the same time.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always try to aim for the exit hole if i can? But sometimes that can be easier sead than done! Different cirumstances like sharp angles, and light of day, Can sometimes throw a hunter`s sight of vision off. I will also have to say that you have to be able to aim for the entry or the exit depending on the situation?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Aim taking account for the exit hole, I never did like it phrased as aiming for the exit, cause that's really not how it is. I don't think a person should get overly carried away thinking about this sort of thing while the deer is in front of them. You just kind of know and visualize ahead of time where you are going to shoot a deer regardless of angle(assuming proper bowhshot angle to start with) I've been fortunate, it seems when I draw on a deer at different angles things just fall into place and I don't even think about where I need to aim, I just do it naturally.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:54 PM

I shoot for the exit as it helps me better judge the proper angle quickly. I still take into account the entry point though. I do a lot of practice at 3D targets, at different unknown ranges and angles. I think this makes taking shots in the field a lot easier.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:24 AM

The exit, because it dictates the entry.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am always concerned on the exit of the arrow as well as the entrance. On quartering away or steep broadside shots especially.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I am aiming for the entrance.I pick a hair to aim at,concentrate on that hair and release.If you practice enough during the off season then common sence will tell you where the exit will be.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:36 PM

The exit wound, or more so I try to picture the line the arrow will take thru the game and envision what it will hit as it goes thru.

Paul
Old 12-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, you can't aim at what you can't see. But visualizing how the vitals lie within the chest cavity at the angle you're shooting at and running that thru the hair covered computer, I chose the exact hair I aim at on the entrance side in order to get the arrow to arrive at the spot I intend for the exit hole to be. I like to go to the zoo and practice that visulization technique on living animals.

The zoo staff gets kinda flustered when they see me draw my imaginary bow to anchor and execute a flawless release though.

Quick Reply: Which do you shoot for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.