Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where have we seen the Binary cam before? Oh yeah, thats right... >

Where have we seen the Binary cam before? Oh yeah, thats right...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where have we seen the Binary cam before? Oh yeah, thats right...

Old 12-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where have we seen the Binary cam before? Oh yeah, thats right...

Where have we seen the Binary Cam before? Oh yeah, Thats right. An Oneida has had them forever. Oh, and looky there, they even have the draw stops on the cam themselves, Wonder where they got that idea too? Heck, my 10 year old Oneida has both the cams tied together, and the draw stops on the cams.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
Old 12-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where have we seen the Binary cam before? Oh yeah, thats right...

Sarcasm will get you no where

Just wondering-----are you an oneida sales rep?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, but Im a faithful Oneida shooter. I am in no way affiliated with Oneida. I just shoot them.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:43 PM

1 faithful Oneida shooter in a sea of faithful bowtech shooters...I don't think you'll make it far.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not that familar with Oneida bows. I am going to have to take a gander at the lever system they employ to see if your comments have any merit. I know what an Oneida looks like and based on that I have a hard time comparing the two, however, the mechanics may be very similar.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:26 AM

I'm sorry but I've seen way too many Onieda's that came in the local shop to be re-timed over the years to believe this.

My understanding of the Equalizer Binary Cam System is that it is completely tied together with its harness and for the timing to be thrown off one cables would have to be grossly longer than the other which could only be done pretty much out of ignorance.

I found and copied the text below from another forum and it seems to be a bulletproof system.

Question: How is it different from other systems? Answer: It is different in a number of ways. 1) For each of the two power cables, there are two eccentrics. One takes up cable and one lets out cable, therefore, each cam's ability to store energy is the function of two cable eccentrics instead of one. This is unique to the Equalizer. 2) No cable is attached to the limb axle in any way, shape, or form. The two cams are only tied to each other. This is only true in the Equalizer design. 3) The Equalizer isn't like a cam 1/2, which doesn't use symmetrical cams and has only one power cable. The Equalizer has exactly symmetrical cams and uses two power cables. Exactly symmetrical cams are balanced the same, and make controlling the feed of the upper and lower portions of the drawstring a slam dunk. Balanced cams and matched feeds mean perfect nock travel. 4) The Equalizer IS a modified dual cam. It is different from a dual cam in that it never operates on a power cable journal lever shorter than about 1.125", and this lever is distributed across both cams for a functional lever of 2.25". A conventional dual cam power cable uses a lever of about .100" at full draw. Consequently, if one cable is longer than the other on a dual cam bow to cause one cam goes out of time by 5.7°, the same variation on the Equalizer causes a rotation of .51°. In order for cable length to cause a timing issue, one cable would have to be severly damaged or twisted (or broken). Also, a conventional dual cam lever is short enough that the cables actually lose control of cam rotation to string influence. This is what causes a conventional dual cam bow that is timed at brace height to go out of time at full draw (double valley). It is also the reason for "creep" tuning.

How is cable lean dealt with? 1)Like a single cam, there are three tracks on an Equalizer cam. Two of the tracks belong to the power cables and one belongs to the string. Because the cams can't go out of synch, the tensions on both power cables are identical at all times. This is different from the tensions applied to single cam systems. Tensions on the three cables anchored to a single cam vary somewhat independently of each other. The tension on the drawstring varies as the bow is drawn, so there is some shift of forces along the bow's axle, and there is some lean. But...the lean is considerably less than you would see on a single cam. If you don't believe it, go look. By placing the string tracks strategically along the axle, cam lean has been reduced to the point of being negligible. 2)Cable guards don't cause much cam lean except on split buss anchors. When cables are anchored near the center of the axle, cam lean is primarily a function of cable and drawstring tensions.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I mean is, is the way they have the two cams tied together and that they are not tied into any of the limbs, just each other. Wasnt this supposed to be a really big deal? Guess what, My 10 year old Oneida has the same exact thing. Though the physical aspects are different, the concept is the same. One cam tied to the other to prevent the other from going out of time. Heck, I even have parallel limbs too. But heaven forbid one of the "Big 3" not come up with something first.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:14 PM

Actually fellas I'm the one who brought this up on another forum. It's actually quite a similarity. It's not the lever action of the Oneida, it's the timing system. As long as an Oneida's tiller is set it can't go out of time unless the cables break.

Anyways back to the main point. The Oneidas' cams are tied to each other through a set of timing wheels that keeps the bow from going out of time. You could say it's kind of a checks and balances system. One cam can't move unless the other one moves due to this system, so they both move in unison. I've just recently become familiar with the mechanics of Oneida's, and PABowhntr, I know that as soon as you take a closer look you'll notice the incredable similarity between the timing mechanics of the Oneida and the new binary cam. It's not an exact copy, it's just the same concept of timing. It's a wonderful system in my opinion and I've been wondering when a company was going to find a way to instil it into their designs.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Doc. I couldnt put it into words, but thats what I was thinking. I didnt know you were even signed up over here.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't see where the Onida's cams are tied to each other at all. Seems to me that their cams are attached from the recurve portion of the limb to the straight portion of the same limb.

I don't see how the binary cam is anywhere similar to Onida's cam at all. Can someone show me where they are tied together cause I don't see it.

Quick Reply: Where have we seen the Binary cam before? Oh yeah, thats right...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.