Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My dilema, The plot thickens.... >

My dilema, The plot thickens....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My dilema, The plot thickens....

Old 12-06-2004, 11:18 AM

Default My dilema, The plot thickens....

This fall is the first year I've posted the 54 acres of property that my family ownes. I did so becasue the locals have in past years driven the property relentlessly. There are other large tracts of posted land that border our property and ultimately the deer end up there because they can find reprieve from the incessant pressure. So far this year it has been good hunting. I've seen many deer and the deer seem normal (not spooked) and are holding up on our property.

Now this is where it gets tricky. I was leaving the woods on Satuday and when I get back to my car (I park at a neighbors house out of convience, I have parking to my property but I get busted by the deer when I access my stand) the neighbor invites me in (which isn't uncommon) so I go in and he has a bunch of his friends over who just showed up from hunting. I hung out about an hour and BS about hunting and other things with my neighbor and his friends and the entire time I was waiting for the "question" . I've got 50 acres of prime hunting and these guys have been "pounding the woods all season and haven't tagged out yet. The firearm season ended Sunday so I dodged the bullet so to speak this year but I'm guessing that next year they will be looking for permission to access my property.

These guys are all cool and I'd likely hunt with them but I'm hesitant to let them in. Reasons being are:
1) They are all hunting with guns. Small "pushes" are the norm from what I gather from our conversations.
2) In New Hampshire (the managment zone my property is in specifically) is buck/doe the first two days of the season and then buck only the rest of the season. These guys are "meat hunters" and would gladly shoot spikes and baskets that I routinely pass on.

These guys are locals and have shared the rumors of a monster buck that frequents the farm across the street(which is also posted). They all expressed interest in getting access to hunt this buck but in the same breath talk about shooting small bucks and spikes. I made an attempt to discuss QDM but it didn't fly. The problem is if they don't get a doe on day one or two (which are midweek I might add) they are forced to shoot a buck and they don't care to pass a legal deer because they may not see another durring the rest of the season.

I refraimed from ramming QDM down their thoat but brought the subject up and hoped that they might show interest. I guess what I'm getting at is I liked the guys and am sure we'd have fun hunting together but I don't want to open up my property to have spikes and other small bucks shot but at the same time I wouldn't mind bringing them in for the couple days of buck/doe to thin out the does a bit. A couple of the guys mentioned they were interested in getting into archery.

Do you think it would be better to keep the property as it is (bow only, and QDM which is my preference) and just clearly law down the law if they want access. Or should I(if asked) invite then to thin does on the either or days (which I feel is kinda cheap).

I'm a bit torn. It may be they'll never ask but if they do I don't want to be "the jerk".
My priorities are to
A) not shoot small bucks
B) not drive the property

If you've read this entire post (sorry for the length) I'd love to get your thoughts. This is a case where the law forces them to do what I don't want done on my property(shoot bucks with antlers greater then 3"). I'd love help thining the does a bit but fear this will open it up for a free for all when I'm not there(I live a ways from the property and was only there 15-20 times througout the 3 month season and I arrive at very predictable times)

Your thought on the matter are greatly appreciated.
Adams
Old 12-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My dilema, The plot thickens....

Adams I were in your position if they asked for permission I would just tell them that I didn't ind if they hunted but that there were a few rules and if they didn't think that they could abide by them then I wouldn't give them permission. It's your land you don't need to feel guilty about managing it the way that you want.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Adams. If i didn't know any better I would think it was me and my hunt club sitting at that table with you. I have hunted for 3 years with a group of guys that sound EXACTLY like you describe. They are great guys, fun to hunt with, enjoy filling tags with them BUT.......

where my parents live is full of deer and not far from where I gun hunt with them. It also has a second week of gun whereas the camps location only has 1 week. I could invite them down but I haven't. As far as they know only I can hunt there and bow only.

Filling tags would be easy but all the things you mentioned would be an issue. There is another side to shooting does and small bucks as well. What if you had a monster on your property that you were hunting. You let them come in for a day and do a push and BAM, your big boy goes down to one of them. There is a big 8 point that lives at my parents and this year I hunted him for the first time with a bow. I would be ticked if the boys came up to fill some tags and somebody ended up shooting him.

The thing is if they asked and I said I wanted to leave it to bow only they wouldn't care. There good guys who want everyone to enjoy themselves first and foremost.

Leave your land alone. You own it, you enjoy it! I would bet everyone in the surrounding area will benefit to some degree from your QDM efforts even if not hunting directly on your land.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:47 AM

JMO. . . .You want the game to move away then let them have access.

This land is owned by your family who likely worked hard to buy it. While you can be a nice guy, no body gets a free ride, if you really must give in let one of them buy a lease from you at a fair but high end of fair price and have a good set of rules defined, no guests, no drives, guns perhaps Bow only for your land etc.

Sounds like the only reason you have any game around is because these guys have not over run your land.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say that if they ask, try and delay them. Tell them no for now, but maybe down the road..... blah blah blah. Maybe they'll just go away.

If you do decide to say yes, I would lay down STRICT law from the get go, NO drives, NO small bucks, and any other restriction no matter how tiny that you feel is needed. You should not feel bad for having your own land and managing it the way you see fit.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest that you keep the land to hunt for yourself. Not trying to be selfish, but good hunting property is hard to come by these days. It's not like you have 100's or 1000's of acres. If that were the case, you would have plenty of room for these fellas. If you let these guys hunt the property the deer will move out. Fifty acres isn't enough land to sustain that kind of pressure. They might be great guys, but it sounds like they've already got property to hunt. JMO
Old 12-06-2004, 12:17 PM

Based on the fact that you already have a preference, it sounds like you've answered your own question.

You posted your property for a reason. Don't compromise your decision by trying to be a nice guy. What benefit would you gain by letting these guys hunt on your property? And how will you be able to accurately monitor them while they are hunting? In order for them to be allowed onto your property and to abide by your rules, you're looking at far more time & work than I believe you have or want.

Just my opinion, but I'd leave the property posted as is. Save the deer for the enjoyment of you, your family, and those close friends you know you can trust and believe in your hunting prcatices.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 PM

If they only gun hunt and you decide to be nice and let them hunt there, just give them some rules like said above. I hunt a friends land during gun season and he has rules, and I abide by them. It really isn't that big of a problem. I can't shoot does, I can take one buck, and it must be at least a six point or better, preferably better, like an 8 point and up. And we don't roam around the property, we each have our own blind on different ends of the property and we stay there unless we shoot something. There are three of us on 50 acres.

If they can't follow a few simple rules, then they can hunt somewhere else I guess. It beats having to pay a large sum of money in order to hunt. Just let them know why you are doing it is all.

Paul
Old 12-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey adams, if i was in your shoes, i would be careful....letting these guys in to hunt your land may not seem like a bad idea right now but in order to mangage your land properly you might want to rethink it. I think if i was in your shoes...i would keep the land more to myself to hunt and manage it the way i want, especially with it being such a small chunk of land.

But on the other hand if you do set some rules for them to follow....then i dont see why it couldnt work for the better.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:45 AM

Default To each his own, but I sure wouldn't

What is the upside to letting these guys hunt land you've been "cultivating" for a while? I know for a fact it would be a big "NO" if I was in your shoes. You don't have any reason to feel obligated to grant these guys permission to hunt. If you think telling them "no" will make you looke like a "bad guy", then try another route. Something like, "My family decided a long time ago that we would keep it family only. Just too many of us to be bringing friends along - we thought it would cause too many problems." That oughta take the wind outta their sails and makes it look like the decision is out of your hands.

Personally, I'd just give 'em a big old-fashioned "Nope - sorry".

Quick Reply: My dilema, The plot thickens....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.