Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Meat/Trophy Since we're on the subject.. >

Meat/Trophy Since we're on the subject..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Meat/Trophy Since we're on the subject..

Old 12-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Meat/Trophy Since we're on the subject..

I believe this is a poor way to determine who likes to eat venison more than another or why they hunt.
On the contrary! It shows who truly loves the meat. Per the other thread where someone thought that the term "meat hunter" was a cop out.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree "meat hunter" is a cop out in some instances. Confed's post was right on IMO.

I also think some people kill something just to say they did I know a couple and they call themselves "meat hunters". Although they aren't hunting for meat.

I enjoy wild turkey meat but I don't hunt them. Do I have intentions to every year? Yes, I do but I don't end up going after its said and done. I am to busy with 3-D.

Now are you telling me the turkey "meat hunter" likes the meat more than me?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy wild turkey meat but I don't hunt them. Do I have intentions to every year? Yes, I do but I don't end up going after its said and done. I am to busy with 3-D.

Now are you telling me the turkey "meat hunter" likes the meat more than me?
Yes! It's called desire.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

How can you tell he or she likes the meat more than I?

Desire has nothing to do with who likes turkey meat better.

I want to be the best 3-D shooter I can be. I want to be as proficient with my bow as I can be. I practice hard and often, year around. That is what I call desire.

Not a turkey "meat hunter" shooting the first baby hen / jake that comes by.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:24 PM

Bowfanatic - you have described what I go thru every year. We have a doe season but it only lasts through the rut. Hard for me to shoot a doe in rut or early season when some of the yearlings still have spots. I hunt my own property but it only about 300acres. Neighbors do a good job on thinning down some of the does. I hunt horns until the first of December. So far this year I have passed opportunities on three different 2.5-3.5yr old deer that would have probably scored in low to mid 120's waiting for a 140+ which our area produces it share of.
Now the rut is over and deer movement curtailed and fewer hunting opportunities between now and the end of season (Jan 2). I will shoot the first legal buck that I am able to and call the season over. I saw lots and lots of 1.5 yr old bucks and hope that i get a shot at one of them instead of the older deer since they have best chance of being next year's wallhanger.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:35 PM

The only way to get a wall hanger is to pass on some younger deer, especially on public land.....That being said, if it's getting to the end of the season and no meat in the freezer.....the 1 1/2 year old will do just fine.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

How can you tell he or she likes the meat more than I?
Because they make the time to go!

Desire has nothing to do with who likes turkey meat better.
How can you say that and then say this in the next sentence....
I want to be the best 3-D shooter I can be. I want to be as proficient with my bow as I can be. I practice hard and often, year around. That is what I call desire.
The hunter who makes time to go harvest a turkey because he/she absolutely loves wild turkey meat doesn't fall under the same "desire" category as your "desire" to shoot 3d instead?

Not a turkey "meat hunter" shooting the first baby hen / jake that comes by.
Who said anything about the turkey hunter "shooting the first baby hen/jake that comes by"? [&:]
Old 12-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to you this is what "meat hunters" do. Shoot the first one by so they do not go without.

So you said it

The hunter who makes time to go harvest a turkey because he/she absolutely loves wild turkey meat doesn't fall under the same "desire" category as your "desire" to shoot 3d instead?
This is a pointless discussion. I like to eat wild turkey meat just as much or more than the next guy. Just because one makes time to shoot a turkey doesn't mean they like the meat any more than I.

Lets get on to part II[8D]
Old 12-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to you this is what "meat hunters" do. Shoot the first one by so they do not go without.

So you said it
Umm where did I say that "meat hunters shoot the first one by"?[&:]

I'm trying my hardest here to paint a picture of understanding for those who cant understand why anyone would shoot a young buck for meat. I never said anything about "first one by" , although there are those who choose to do just that. But what you refuse to accept is that perhaps their desire for meat is just as important as your desire for big antlers. It's quite obvious your desire for big antlers is much bigger than your desire for meat. In fact if you truly had a desire for meat you would have settled on a young buck if need be by the end of season in your first reply.

I'm not saying that those who desire big antlers more than meat are bad in any way! We all have different desires.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's quite obvious your desire for big antlers is much bigger than your desire for meat.
You act like I am going without over here I have been eating pretty good over the years[8D]

I will buy beef before I shoot an immature animal buck or doe. Thats all I am saying.

Quick Reply: Meat/Trophy Since we're on the subject..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.