Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I need some words of wisdom. >

I need some words of wisdom.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need some words of wisdom.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:38 PM

Default I need some words of wisdom.

How do you think advancements in bowhunting have changed the sport?
What do you think some ethics and morals of hunting are?
What makes a "true hunter"?

I don't need long answers so you don't have to write an essay, but if you want to... go for it. I am writing a term paper about this topic for my college course and I would really like to use some quotations and ideas from everyone to help me out. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:25 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need some words of wisdom.

I don't know if these are words of wisdom but here's my take on it.

1. How do you think advancements in bowhunting have changed the sport?

Some good some bad.

Good that it has allowed more hunters to take up bowhunting. Bad in that some don't practice enough or learn how to hunt. The bow and all the must have gadgets don't make the hunter. The person makes the hunter. Some seem to forget that.

2. What do you think some ethics and morals of hunting are?

Know the games laws and play by the rules. Respect other's land as you would expect them to treat your's. Only take good shots!!

3. What makes a "true hunter"?

My answers above to start with. Hunting for one's personal joys or goals. Apperciating all the great things nature has to offer. Always keep in mind... we are trying to help the state manage the deer herd and to do our part. Bow hunting is not only about antlers.

Tim
Old 12-03-2004, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TJF

I don't know if these are words of wisdom but here's my take on it.

Good that it has allowed more hunters to take up bowhunting. Bad in that some don't practice enough or learn how to hunt. The bow and all the must have gadgets don't make the hunter. The person makes the hunter. Some seem to forget that.

Know the games laws and play by the rules. Respect other's land as you would expect them to treat your's. Only take good shots!!

My answers above to start with. Hunting for one's personal joys or goals. Apperciating all the great things nature has to offer. Always keep in mind... we are trying to help the state manage the deer herd and to do our part. Bow hunting is not only about antlers.

Tim
im in the same boat as Tim...

with this being said
1. advancements have ratically changed the sport, ie cams composit materials, lighter materials, this i think is what has increased the IBO speeds tremendously. back in the old days nobody would have even dreampt of shooting in the 300 fps range. now its almost every manufacturer can...
this does two things, gives a little bit more advantage to the hunter and allows for a much more divers hunting field. this is where the bad can come in. more hunters mean there is a need for more "hunter" education and i havent seen a whole lot of that latley
2. ETHICS and MORALS change from hunter to hunter. to each his own. i personally wont take younger deer. somone else may choose to shoot for meat, and get anything that walks by, and thats what makes this sport great the right to choose!
3. someone who gets out there and hunts becuase they enjoy being there. again same as Tim... appreciating nature, the TRUE hunter realizes that they may not have that hunting spot for ever, takes care of teh land dosnt litter, respects nature and always abides by all aplicable laws and regulations...
Old 12-03-2004, 07:55 AM

As the others have said, I dont know about the wisdom part, but I can give you my opinions.

1. Advancements in bowhunting have drastically changed the sport, it not so much that it has really made it easier....We just now have more and better resources to utilize.

2. This is a tough one to explain because its whats inside you. Ethics are passed down to you all your life. Ethics and morals come from your heart. Outdoor ethics means having respect for everything in our wild outdoors, and knowing its role in our lives. Only ones opinion can tell him whats "right and wrong" because in a sense there is no true right or wrong because we all have our own opinions. A good example:... You have hunted a huge ten point buck all season. You are setting in your stand and spot him coming down a shooting lane....but at the same time there is a smaller six point coming in behind him whining, limping around, just barely making it. You know in your mind that this deer is suffering and probably will suffer for a long time, then eventually die. You only have 1 tag left....What do you do?? Do you go for the beautiful 10 or put the 6 out of his suffering?? The chioce is all on you. Both options are legal, but its whats inside you that makes you decide....

3. A true hunter is an ethical hunter. One that is "one with nature" and has respect for his entire surroundings. Someone who doesnt have to score on a buck to enjoy every minute afield. Knowing and loving our sport and the game that we persue makes us "true hunters"!!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:28 AM

I agree mostly with TIM

Tim
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

#1 Brought alot more people into the sport.

#2 Do everything the right way period.

#3 Lots of hard work scouting, practicing, & hunting. Following the rules. Doing things the right way.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you think advancements in bowhunting have changed the sport?
I'll let Arthur answer that one.

What do you think some ethics and morals of hunting are?
Same as the ethics and morals of life. Treat your quarry and others around you with respect.

What makes a "true hunter"?
The hunter who follows the above mentioned ethics and morals.