Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your landowner tells you he's poaching... >

Your landowner tells you he's poaching...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your landowner tells you he's poaching...

Old 12-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your landowner tells you he's poaching...

I would turn the guy in if you find out he is poaching. What is he doing? Hunting at night, no tag, clarify please.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If not they are just as guilty
Surely you don't mean that. You think it's just as bad for a person to witness or know of a crime and not interevene as it is to actually committ the crime? That's stretching it a bit isn't it. Sure there is some obligation to report it and not doing so maybe you share a little bit of the blame, but just as guilty?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just a twist from what others said. It is his land. Does he farm it or get any income from the land??? Hear in Pa. landowners can shoot deer on their on land without a license for deer damage.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

doesn't work that way in IL.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to have to be honest here. If I am in Illinois and this is a prime spot and my only spot then I would try dilligently to avoid learning anything that would upset me. I would ask me to not tell me if he poached something but I wouldn't turn him in and risk loosing my only hunting spot.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

A simple solution is to put a little bug in your game warden's ear that their may be some poaching going on and for him to watch. Your landowner will believe he got caught by coinsidence. Poaching is the same as stealing. Good Luck.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illinois or not...poaching is NOT LEGAL. Turn him in...if he is poaching.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

If he sees him first hand, Yes! Just as guilty. But if its here say and he wasn't a first hand witness then what do ya do! He should "put the bug in the game warden's ear"! If not could come back and haunt ya!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

I am going to have to be honest here. If I am in Illinois and this is a prime spot and my only spot then I would try dilligently to avoid learning anything that would upset me. I would ask me to not tell me if he poached something but I wouldn't turn him in and risk loosing my only hunting spot.
Thank you for being honest,and oviously thats how you feel.But one thing really bothers me.You wouldent turn him in if you know he is poaching because you wouldent want to loose your precious spot.I always had the understanding that poaching makes all hunters look bad,no matter what their means of poaching may be.My opinion----I think its selfish that he is poaching and taking an animal illegally,maybe out of reach for another hunter trying his hardest to tag one legally.I would,if i had proof,turn his sorry a$$ into the authorties and take my chances.Besides there are more precious spots to hunt,not just the loosers property.Always welcome to hunt with me.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would surely turn him in.

Quick Reply: Your landowner tells you he's poaching...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.