Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rooting For The Deer >

Rooting For The Deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rooting For The Deer

Old 11-29-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Rooting For The Deer

Today marks the first day of gun season here in Ohio. I am not against gun hunting but I must admit that I root for the deer this entire week. If a guy sits quietly and waits for a deer to come I can somewhat understand. But I fail to see the sportsmanship when a group of guys get together and "drive" or push the deer through a woodlot to some other guys waiting at the other end. I can't imagine there is much sense of accomplishment to shoot a deer that may have never walked by if it was not scared over to you. Not all guys hunt that way but it seems like the majority of gun hunters in Ohio do.

During my drive home today I saw a bunch of abominable orange snowmen standing in the cornfields around my house. I wish I had a sign to hang to tell the deer to come hide and be safe in my little 25 acre woodlot, LOL.

Of course the deer killed during gun season are very important to maintaining the population and I would not want everyone converting to bow hunting. Gun hunting is just not for me and like I said in the title of this post, I am rooting for the deer this week.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:59 PM

Default RE: Rooting For The Deer

Your post is hippocritical in my opinion. Don't forget, there are many "non-hunters" who "route for the deer" every day that you enter the woods with your bow, too. Hey, you might not agree with gun hunting and/or deer drives, but don't knock the next guy if he's doing something he enjoys and something that is legal.
Above all, don't give the tree huggers any more to use in their favor. [:'(]
Old 11-29-2004, 06:09 PM

I will have to side with JimboHunter on this one. There are enough idiots (see: PETA) rooting for the deer, they don't need any help.

If its legal, go for it. As long as it is fair chase (no fences)!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:53 PM

blodg the deer drives are mostly done towards the end of season for the people who still have tags and need meat. there is nothing wrong with a deer drive. Your a hunter but youre against hunting???whats wrong with this picture???
Old 11-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya know to each his own but when they do deer drives at first light it pisses me off! I had 3 does at 90 yards and were slowly making their way closer to me. I could of shot at 90 yards but they were coming closer so I decided to wait and then they kinda got spooky and go back to the cover and then came bolting past me. Their must have been 35 guys driving this whole ridge at first light! WHY????
I don't understand why they do this so early. The deer are already moving at this time, why get them moving them even faster! Why not wait till they bed down then try to get em' moving. this is the same group of guys you see in the bar at noon getting boozed up for the afternnon hunt! kinda scary! JMO![:@][:'(]
Old 11-29-2004, 08:35 PM

Cannibals and useful idiots
The following is real, and it’s here.
Joe Hunter goes to a cocktail party, nothing fancy, just a holiday gathering in Anytown, USA. A conversation begins with Bob Peta, it goes something like this;
Say Joe, didn’t you go deer hunting this year. Sure did Bob. Man that’s, uh, great, did you get one? Yep, sure did, nice 6 point. Uh, wow, hey that’s great. Say listen Joe, yer a true hunter, a ”Real” hunter are you not? Yes, I sure am. Say, I hear tell of a kinda huntin where people can go and kill animals in fenced in areas. You’ve never done that have you? No, no I haven’t. Well I wouldn’t call that “real” hunting, would you Joe. Well, that’s not the way I hunt. I know Joe, but there are people that hunt in fenced areas, I don’t think that’s “Really” hunting, do you Joe. Well, uh, I guess not. Great, say listen Joe, a bunch of us concerned “Real” hunters are trying to get that done away with, we feel that it is unethical. Will you help us Joe? Well sure, because that’s not the way I hunt, and I am a “Real” hunter. Say thanks Joe; here is what we need you to do. As a “real” hunter, the big boys in senate and congress will listen to you; they know that any “Real” hunter only hunts the way you do, and that’s the only “Real” hunting there is. So what we need you to do is get out there and get petitions signed, people will sign them because you are a “Real” hunter and know that only your way of hunting is the “Real” way. So Joe diligently goes after the goal, to ban and outlaw any kind of hunting that Bob suggests is not “Real” hunting. He gathers signatures, petitions courts, makes meetings, he is really cleaning up this “unethical” way of hunting. Hell, he’s got a lot of support. He’s gathering “Real” hunters from all over, and finally, after much hard work, they get a legal way of hunting banned.
Joe, you did great and we sure appreciate your hard work, but hey, let me tell you what I heard about. There is another kind of hunting “We” think is not right. Do you think you can help us? Well, I guess so Bob, I don’t hunt like that, so it’s not “Real” hunting. How can I help? Well, here is what we need……., and it’s the same story. Odd how Bob seems to keep adding onto the list of what “Real” hunting is, but Joe goes at it hard and heavy, and in the end, he gets that type of legal hunting banned. Bob and his “Friends” are happy. Joe’s a “Real” hunter after all, and these other guy’s, well, they are not, because the way they hunt is different from Joe, and Joe does not like that type of hunting, so what’s the harm in getting rid of it? Joe’s a “Real” hunter you know. Not like those other guys. He even goes to Sportsman’s organizations and recruits from within, it’s easy because there are a lot of “Real” hunters there. Time passes and more and more legal forms of hunting are banned. Bob and his “friends” are happy with Joe. He’s been a big help.
After it’s all just about gone, Bob and his “friends” decide that it is time to get Joe’s way of hunting banned, the final chapter. Bob, uh, hey buddy, this is Joe. I know I helped you get rid of all those other forms of legal hunting, but now there is a move to get rid of the way I hunt. Well Joe, I know. My “friends” and I are spearheading that. But Bob, I thought you liked the way I hunt, that it was ok for me to do the type of hunting I do. Well Joe, no, any and all types of hunting are bad, the poor defenseless animals never have a chance, and we dislike, actually hate hunters. But I thought the way I hunted was “Real” hunting to you. Hell Joe, it was all “ Real” hunting, but we at PETA Hate you, but thanks for all your help, we really appreciate it. You see, what Joe became was a “Cannibal”. A “Useful Idiot” to the anti’s and PETA. They don’t give a rat’s ass how you hunt, what you hunt, or when you hunt. They just want all hunting done away with. They use hunters against hunters to gain support for their “Causes”. If you do not support any and all forms of legal hunting, and decide to pick and chose the ones you like and dislike, and voice any decent about the way someone else legally hunts, you are in fact, a “Cannibal” and a very very “Useful Idiot” for the enemy. There are plants even within the sacred walls of TNUSA. Route them out, expose them, and rid the board of them. Hunting’s future depends upon it.

nuff said deadshot
Old 11-29-2004, 09:27 PM

Joe is an idiot too. Anybody who would team up to ban any type of legal hunting is not a hunter, but an anti.

I don't agree with high-fence hunting, but I would never push against it... Same with firearms. I do not see the need in a fully automatic rifle, but I would never vote against someone owning one. Hell, I don't agree with everything the NRA stands for, but I'm a member because I want a choice on what I shoot with.

Good post deadshot. This is something we should all think about.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:35 PM

Well I kind of see your point Jimbo, maybe I should not have shared my thoughts on an open forum. I never said I was against gun hunting, only that I root for the deer because guns offer so much advantage over bow hunting. If anyone wants to root for the deer when I head into the woods with my bow as you suggested that is fine with me. Although I prefer to challenge myself with a bow I do fairly well and have no problem with anyone rooting for the deer in my case.

Deadshot, that is a nice little story but not at all relevant since I would never deny anyone their right to hunt with a gun. Like I said in my original thread, I am not against gun hunting at all, It is just hard to fathom after being intimate with the deer and hunting them on their own terms with a bow. The "usefull idiots" referenced in your post may just be the gun hunters that hunt in large groups pushing the deer all over, shooting anything that moves, and trespassing from woodlot to woodlot. They do way more damage to the sport of hunting than this little post ever could.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Blodg

Today marks the first day of gun season here in Ohio
I would have to agree with you; sort of. I just left Southern Ohio Sunday afternoon after trying to get another deer before gun season. I usually go down there two or three times a year and both times this season I was there just before gun season. The first time was just before the special muzzleloader season and most recently before actual gun season. I had never been down their for a gun season before because the DNR guys keep telling me that its a zoo; and after seeing it with my own eyes I agree. I saw a few things that made me a little upset. Rather than setting up in state park camp site, several hundred gun hunters prefer to camp where they stop; literally on the side of the road. I don't really have a problem with that (even though I don't think its legal) but the least they could do is pick up after themselves. When I was just there you could clearly see where these road side camps where during special muzzleloader by the amount of trash that was left. The other thing is that the pop bottles, trail tape, or spray paint (yes they actually spray paint arrows on trees or on the road to help them remember where to go into the woods) is still there and only going to get worse after this week.

I don't have a problem with taking a deer with a gun, but I think these guys should have some respect for the woods. I think a few bad apples a ruining it for the whole class.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Spoken like a true bow snob Blodg ,
attitudes like yours are what keep a lot of people from trying archery hunting . Grow up a little .

Quick Reply: Rooting For The Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.