Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 that bow gains poundage >

that bow gains poundage

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

that bow gains poundage

Old 11-28-2004, 07:06 AM

Default that bow gains poundage

Why is it so much harder to pull your bow back when you are setting in a tree stand and cold. Is it because the metal and strings contract in cold weather and make the poundage go up? Or is it because your musels are cold and stiff. I can pull my bow back easy when I,m at home practicing, but when I am in a tree stand I can just bearly pull it back.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: that bow gains poundage

The thing with shooting your bow regularly keep's your muscles warmed up and it's much easier to draw when they're warm,But when your hunting you don't draw and the weather take's it's toll on your muscle's.Sometime's when I'm in stand I'll go through a warm up by drawing at my shooting zone's to warm up a bit ,but after sitting awhile your muscle's will relax and this is likely why it feel's like the poundage has increased ,but that's not the case it's just your lack of drawing that make's it seem this way.

nubo
Old 11-28-2004, 11:03 AM

With sitting in a stand for hours your muscles get relaxed and cold. Your bow also gets stiff adding 5-10 pounds on your pull.
So if you are pulling 70 lbs in warm weather, you could be pulling 80 lbs. in the cold. Especially in the northern states.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a hard time believing that a machine aluminum riser gets "stiff". Try practicing from your small stand and in contorted positions in a treestand like the real thing, and I'm sure you'll find your just overbowed to begin with.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

It might be time to pick up a couple of bar bells, Olice Oil. Eat alot of spinich.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or is it because your musels are cold and stiff
Thats it

Your bow also gets stiff adding 5-10 pounds on your pull.
Huh ?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

When the weather gets colder and if you find yourself having trouble pulling back your bow, its time to drop some poundage. Nothings worse than spending time hunting, finally getting an opportunity at a deer you have been after, then not being able to pull your bow.[:'(]
Old 11-29-2004, 08:50 AM

Maybe it is due to the use of different muscles when drawing from a seated position? I usually shoot while seated and practice that position fairly ragular.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

I'd back down my poundage about 5 pounds if I were you. If you've got a big nervous buck coming down the path and you struggle to pull it back, he'll bust you!

And yes, it's your muscles, not the bow.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:24 AM

Yep, it happens, happened to me about a month ago. Had a rabbit hop under my stand and was going to shot him, ah, problem! Couldn't pull my bow back! Then later I had 4 does in front of me, barely got it pulled back, still missed.