Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many bows do you have? >

How many bows do you have?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many bows do you have?

Old 11-27-2004, 05:59 PM

Default How many bows do you have?

I was thinking about getting another bow. I want to save my camo bow for hunting only. I joined a bow club that has competition shoots, indoor & out, all year round... So, I
was thinking about getting a competition bow, for fun, I'm not that good, yet.
What kind of bow is good for competition shooting?
Old 11-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many bows do you have?

Sunset!

I'd pick between the Bow/Tech,Mathew's and the Hoyt line ,pick a price range that you'll spend and then pick 2 choice's from each brand .Try the 6 model's that you choose and then buy the one that you like the best .Because I like Bow Tech doesn't mean that BowTech will suit you but I'm sure out of these 3 companies you'll find the bow that you''ll like best. You don't have to pick just these 3 companies there are many other's as well I'm just using them as an example . Martin ,P.S.E and some other good one's ,I just use 3 to narrow thing's down.

nubo

P.S. As of yet I still haven't recieved the package that you sent me ,or have i had any notification that they've been here.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:22 PM

Thanks for your input. I have grown to respect your input a lot.

I sent the package a while back. Bet it got stopped in customs, daggonit
How long is your hunting season?
Hope it gets there before your hunts are over.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sunset. If you can get a hold of an Oneida Pro Eagle, you will love it. Its SOOOO shock free and SOOOO smooth on draw, its unbelieveable. I believe you will never go back to a Hoyt or Bowtech or Mathews, or any other wheely bow for that matter. If you shoot fingers, then great, the Pro Eagle is perfect for finger shooters. The Pro Eagle is one of the most accurate bows you can shoot. If you call Oneida, they may just send you one to test out, I know a guy whose done this, Ask for Matt. Heck even my 10 year old Phantom is a better bow than these new wheeley bows, IMO. If you have any questions, come on over, http://p071.ezboard.com/bcponeidaeaglebows
Old 11-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Around 15,some are collectibles
Old 11-28-2004, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dairy King !

Your way too funny LOL. But that is your opinion .I'm not knocking your Onieda because I'm sure they're fine, but if you read my post I said I was just using those bow's as an example on how to find a bow that she will like. I'm not syaing they're the only bow's she should try .The Onieda might just be the bow that suit's her the best, but then again a P.S.E. might suit her better .She has to try different bow's on her own and then make her own decision on what feel's right for her .That was my point ,not that BowTech,Hoyt or even Mathew's was better.

Thank you Sunset I appreciate that, I try to give good advice to new bowhunter's because I want because I want to see them get set up right so that they can enjoy this sport as much as I and the other's on this forum do.and I don't like to run other Equip down,because I'm sure that all Equip has it's place and everyone has different taste's ,and there's definetly nothing wrong with that.
My bow season end's at the end of Dec hopefully it get's here before that,but if not then I'll save it for next season .One question that I have is what's the best way to preserve it over the season?
Thank's Sunset and i hope you have a great season and good luck on choosing a new bow ,keep us informed at what you choose ,just make it your choice and not someone else's choice .

nubo

nubo
Old 11-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

What kind of competition are you going to be doing? Field archery at marked yardage? Unmarked 3D? Indoor 20 yard spots? Different bows for different games.

IMO, you should use your hunting bow for 3D so you'll be totally accustomed to shooting it and know exactly what your trajectory will be at unknown distances. That's the original concept behind 3D anyway - a game to play with your hunting bow.

For field (especially since you'll be shooting 112 arrows per outing!) or indoor spots, I'd suggest picking an easy pulling bow with moderate speed, relatively high brace and at least 38" axle to axle. Probably lighter draw weight than your hunting bow, too. Accuracy, consistency and stamina are a lot more important in those games than speed. You want a bow that will not tire you out halfway through the shoot.

Make sure your prospective tournament bow has good mass weight in the riser, but not so much that it'll feel like you're lugging a boat anchor around by the end of the day. Heavier bows are easier to hold steady, but you still gotta lift the thing to address the target and hold on the dot on the last few shots. Better to be missing a few X's through the shoot with too light of a bow rather than taking zeros because you can't finish the shoot.

Keep in mind that competition colors look sharp, but camo bows are easier to sell if/when it comes time to part company with your tournament bow.

Good luck and enjoy! I've made countless friends due to participating archery tournaments.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:06 PM

The bow club that I joined has both 3D outside & indoor 20 yd shooting. It's a great set up. Seems to be nice people who are there too. There is a guy there who is almost 70 who teaches kids for free every third Monday. I'll be taking my 9&13 yr old daughters to have him teach them.
Thanks for your advice Arthur P. I appreciate it a lot.
I didn't want to spend a lot of money before I considered all of the options.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great advice arthur.

I thought you disappeared[&:]
Old 11-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

NUBO. My post was not directed at you. In fact, when I was typeing my post, I didnt even read yours yet. I dont see how I was being funny. If you've never shot an Oneida, go shoot one. You will never go back to a wheeley bow, I dont see why you would want to. I sure as hell dont. When I say wheeley bows, Im meaning any bow with wheels/cams on the ends of the limbs.

Edit: I mean to say, the best thing about an Oneida is if your out in the field and a string breaks, you dont need a bow press, In fact, NEVER put an Oneida in a bow press. In fact again, you can totally dissasemble the whole bow with a press. They are so EASY to work on if something goes wrong.

Quick Reply: How many bows do you have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.