Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

KS Buck...pics

Old 11-27-2004, 04:39 PM

Default KS Buck...pics

I dont normally post much, but do like to get on here and read often; however, I have a picture I would like to share. This is a deer I helped harvest this week. The "help" is the sad part of the story, which I will make brief as I get disgusted recounting it. I originally hit this deer in the back leg. I still have no idea how I screwed the shot up, dont know if my arrow hit a twig or the deer spun before the arrow impacted or just a terrible excuse for a shot. When I first shot the deer I had thought I made a good shot on him, however I didnt really see the arrow impact the deer (I have got to get some arrow wraps, if I dont sell my equipment). When we went to trail the deer later we spooked him up and could see the leg flopping to the side of him (this was a sickening feeling) the only thing holding the leg on was flesh.

Unfortunately we had to leave the deer to suffer through the night but were able to locate him again the next day by his blood trail, and my hunting partner ended the deer's misery and his life. I am thankful the deer did not suffer any longer (too long as it was), but was disgusted at myself for not making a fatal shot on the deer originally. We talked about who should tag the deer, and my partner even offered to let me tag it. I would have loved to tag the deer, but didnt feel like it was my place to tag it as I didnt make the fatal shot...so it's his.

As you can see the deer has good mass, and the inside spread was around 20". This is my third season hunting. The first year, I shot what I thought was a doe (but later found was a button buck) just to see if I could take a deer. Last year, I was holding out for a mature buck and never scored. Archery hunting...aahhh! Oh well as I tell my kids - quit yer pouting!

Anyways thanks for your attention and good luck to those of you still hunting.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: KS Buck...pics

THats a Dandy, bummer about what happened, but glad he got taken.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Great deer Oz. Yeah... I guess you made the right call not tagging it yourself. With an attitude like that you will get plenty more chances at great bucks.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck indeed.

If I am reading the account of your story correct it would seem doubtful to me whether or not your buddy could have got close enough to a buck like this without it being hurt pretty bad. You didn't give much detail as to how the killing shot was made but I know this, if I was your buddy and I finished off a buck knowing that you had wounded it in such a way that I could trail it, catch up to it, and get off a reasonably close shot, I would not feel like the buck was mine.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well guy's regardless the buck has been put out of it's misery and will not suffer ,I think that this is called bowhunting ,when your shooting in bushes it doesn't take much to deflect an arrow .The buck is down and that's what count's most.Congrat's guy's on that great looking buck ,he's got a great rack.

nubo
Old 11-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, if your happy with your decision than it,s all good. How come your buddy shot him? Wern,t you there also? Better luck next time.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:34 PM

It's a shame your buddy even took a bow along to assist in the tracking. I would of had my buddy- {the original shooter come over and finish it off, being it was his deer to begin with. Oh well, happy to here someone got it.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised your buddy tagged the deer, he was supposed to be helping you find the deer not stealing it from you.

How in the world did you let him tag it???? I don't think there should even have been a discussion on who gets to tag it. HE WAS THERE TO HELP YOU.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a real nice buck. Thats a bummer about the botched shot but at least he was recovered.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Spike

Thats a nice buck there....I too would like to hear why u let him finish him off and take him. I can understand you feeling bad but no reason to let him tag and take your trophy.

Quick Reply: KS Buck...pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.