Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 is the hoyt ultra mag a good bow or not >

is the hoyt ultra mag a good bow or not

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is the hoyt ultra mag a good bow or not

Old 11-19-2004, 09:03 AM

Default is the hoyt ultra mag a good bow or not

i was wonderin if the hoyt ultra mag was a good bow cause i might buy me one so plz put your comments
Old 11-19-2004, 09:20 AM

Default RE: is the hoyt ultra mag a good bow or not

I guess it depends on your standards. I shot an ultramag a bunch of times when I was shopping. I loved it. I wound up buying a reflex (by hoyt) cam 1/2 that was very similar. I am happy with it. I guess I have low standards
Old 11-19-2004, 04:53 PM

Here is the deal man. You buy a bow based on how you feel about the bow. There are many good bow companys out there. With todays technology is it tough to compare all the little things. However two of the big things that in my humble opinion are important would be how quite the bow is and does the bow have an extreme amount of vibration.. You of course are going to end up shooting your bow a lot to get good, and if your shooting skills are not up to par then you will need all of the help you can get which mean a quite bow... And if everytime you shoot the bow it vibrates your hand the first time you shoot your buddys bow and it has zero vibration you will be a little in the disapointed side..
Old 11-19-2004, 05:06 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself there bcwn..Take your time and shop around,and buy the Bow that feels comfortable to you
Old 11-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the price the Ultra Mag is a great buy.

It shares many of the features of the top line Hoyts except it has a poured riser not a machined alumnium riser.

It also don't come with the simms gear on the limbs and they also have different limb pockets.

Its has a good cam setup, better than average (factory) strings and cables and high quality limbs.

My .02 cents anyhow.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:19 PM

i have seen the bow and it feels good i just wanted to see what you think
Old 11-19-2004, 08:02 PM

Well Bow_Hunter_74338,if the UltraMag feels comfortable to you,then i'd say go for it.I have a UltraMag myself,and i really like it.It's smooth,quiet,and fast.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Never shot the ultramag, I have a dynatec from 03, which is real similar, I think? Anyway the dynatec is great! It works for me. But like everyone says shoot em first.

Jim
Old 11-20-2004, 09:22 AM

The hoyt ultramag is an excellent bow, as is the ultrasport for a bit less money. Prettty much all the features of the more expensive tec bows for much less money.

I was seriously looking at an ultrasport when I bought my new bow this past summer. I went thinking about a Seiratec, but I actually liked the ultrasport better and it was less money to boot (350 before tax). It was a bit longer than the seiratec and drew a bit smoother for me. The ultramag is just as good but has the better xt2000 limbs on it and cost around $400 instead.

Like an idiot I decided to shoot a Bowtech Mighty Might before I paid for the hoyt and ended up liking it better. I had no intention of buying one because it was more than what I wanted to spend. I just shot it to see what I would think of it. I had never shot a bowtech before. Well I liked it so much I ended up getting it. Not that it was really a better bow, it just "felt better" to me. However the bowtech was $569 before tax. It is quite a bit more effecient though in the speed department. Not as smooth to draw though as the hoyt.

I would have been just as happy with the hoyt I assure you. Some times I wonder if I shouldn't have gotten it any way just to save the cash. I compared the two Ultra's with some of the better hoyts and I just couldn't see justifying the extra money for one (over twice the price for some of them). I mean they were nice, but not that much better in my opinion. If you had the money, sure, but if you are on a budget either one of the Ultra's is and outstanding piece of equipment. It is one of the bows I suggest to someone when they are looking for a first bow. That or the Parker huntermag, that's a great bow more the cash as well. There are others too that are good bargains.

If you get the ultrasport or mag and are dissapointed it will be an ego thing, not a performance issue. You may wish you had a more expensive bow because you will think it would have been better, but that is not really the case. Unless you are looking for an ultra fast bow or a pure target bow. Other than that these bows will do everything the others will and you will have more money to spend on a sight, rest, or better arrows.

Just my opinions any way.

Paul