Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stalk em' on the ground >

Stalk em' on the ground

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stalk em' on the ground

Old 11-18-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Stalk em' on the ground

Hi Everyone,
Thought you might like to hear the story on this one.
I was driving home from my local Walmart 2 days ago and my wife...god love her...spotted this buck running with a doe around noon. They were just tooling around in a corn field that I happen to have permission to hunt. Well of course I didn't have my bow or anything with me. So I called a friend of mine, he lives only about 3 miles from where we saw these deer, to keep an eye on him while I went home and got my stuff. Well I got back out to the field and now they had moved about a 1/4 mile out in the field. I snuck down a fence line for about 75 yards or so and watched them for a while. Finally the doe layed down in a strip of grass between a corn field and a bean field. Wasn't long and the ol' buck layed down too. My buddy stayed at the road watching in case they busted out, he couldn't see me but, well long story short, I crawled on my belly for over an hour,and about drove my friend crazy wondering what was going on. I crawled for about 400-500 yards or so, I don't have a flippin clue how far it was, all I know is that my chest still hurts from pulling myself around our there. I finally got over a patch of alfalfa and into some corn stalks where I could move a little easier. I got into the row of grass that the deer were bedded in and I could't beleive I hadn't busted them yet. I figured I was within about 50 yards of them now and couldn't get any closer without them seeing me. I still couldn't see them but they had to be there. I got myself onto my knees and nocked an arrow. I sat there for probally a minute or two when I thought I heard something right beside me. I looked up slowly and there was the doe standing only about 10 feet from me. I drew back my bow and the buck stood up right where my pins were. He was looking right at me and I let it fly!! He went about a whole 40 yards or so, and well that was that. He didn't live 10 seconds after I shot him. I was shaking soo bad I could hardly believe what just happed. I was shaking soo bad I had to kneel down for a sec. At this time I still didn't know how big he was, I had never taken a good look at him. I didn't have binoculars with me or nothing. I Needles to say I am a very happy camper!!!
This was the third stalk that I had tried in two days. I got to within 30 yard of a nice 10 point that I chased around for a while. He was out running through bedding areas. I got ahead of him and he came right to me, but he was running full tilt boogy when he went by me and that was the end of that story. And the same thing happened again later the day before on a nice 8 point. Probally a little wider than the one I got, but not nearly as heavy. Wouln't stop for anything. Kind of like they had something else on their mind!
Anyway thats my story and my deer.
Thanks

Equipment:
Bowtech Liberty
Gold Tip Arrows
Nap Crossfire Broadhead....Man did that thing leave a hole!
Alpine Quiver
Old 11-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stalk em' on the ground

Great story! Good Luck on the next one!
Old 11-19-2004, 04:23 AM

Nice buck you go there! And what an awesome story! How do them crossfire broadheads work? Did you get complete passthrough?
Old 11-19-2004, 06:51 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Congrats!! (Go liberty!! )

Impressive buck, for sure, but the stalk makes it even more so! You ought to be proud as a peacock after that.

Congrats again
Old 11-19-2004, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have read some good stories here but this is one of the best stories I have come across.

Congratulations!

That is a nice buck and to get him like that is amazing. What a great story. I truly appreciate ground shots. They are tough to pull off but so thrilling when you do.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:44 AM

Great story, Congrats!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:04 AM

Thanks everyone, ya' I'm still pretty pumped about it.

Crazystups, I didn't get a complete pass through, the arrow hit the opposite shoulder. But wow...did it leave a entry hole. And they fly exactly like my field points. Another buddy of mine also shot a nice buck from the ground this season and shot it with a crossfire. His deer made it only about 60 yards, and again the arrow went through and hit the opposite shoulder and didn't get a pass through. But again it left a blood trail that you could run and follow. We will be using these for a while that is sure. Great head, and tough both heads look like they just came out of the box,,,,,maybe a little red tint to them but still in perfect condition.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck
Old 11-19-2004, 12:40 PM

Wow, great story and darn nice deer, Grats.
Stalking used to be my favorite way of hunting with a rife, haven`t tried it with a bow yet but your story has inspired me to try.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:56 PM

I can only imagine just how hard your heart was pounding. Congrat to you and that beautiful buck. He's a doozie!

Quick Reply: Stalk em' on the ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.