Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I have a story for you all...... >

I have a story for you all......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I have a story for you all......

Old 11-18-2004, 09:56 AM

Default I have a story for you all......

Let me start by saying this is going to be long winded, so bare with me...
I have been hunting my best friends, grandfather's property for about 6yrs. now. Couple of weeks ago Ralph (my friend's grandpa) asked me if my father or me had taken down (stole it) a tree stand on the neighboring property. I assured him that neither of us would ever do such a thing, and we wouldn't no matter what. And there has never been a problem (steeling) in the past with tree stands hanging out there, ours or anybody else. It's just wrong and unethical as hell to do something like to another hunter. I have had it happen to me a couple of times myself on other properties. Anyway, back to the story at hand.

Here just this past Sunday morning I was out and shot at a really nice 8pt who was chasing a doe all around. Well I missed him of course; he was on a trot when I shot. Later the same morning I had another small buck come down in front of me and all of a sudden I heard a couple of what was suppose to be grunts come from up the hill behind me. I looked back and noticed the guy who got his tree stand stolen was up on the neighboring property behind me in a tree stand maybe 70yards away. I never even knew he was up there or had his tree stand set there. This guy in the past has walked in on me and my father several, several times knowing he saw us, and just got in his tree stand anyway. He has no consideration for my father or me if we are there before him. Now I have walked in on him before, when he was already there and went to another area to be considerate to him. But this guy will not do that for us at all; he just refuses to go to another area. Is it just me or would it make you mad too? It is really starting to get on my fathers nerves and mine!!!! The story gets better.......

Yesterday morning I was out again hunting in my same spot (I ground hunt btw) and got there well before sunrise. As it got lighter out, I notice that the guy was up in his tree stand again. I had a deer coming in behind me that I could not see but could hear and he started grunting at it, and I know he could see me!!!! Well the deer must have smelled him cause the wind was perfect for that guy to get busted by anything coming in behind me, and it had turned around and moved out!!! Let me remind you, this guys is only maybe 70yrds away from me, had grunted at two deer that WERE coming into me on the property I hunt in the last four days, and I know he can see me!!!!!!

Anyway, after that deer moved out I finally got up and moved. God I was so frustrated I wanted to go strangle him!! So I go over to the next hill on the same property maybe 250 yards away from him! This is where it gets really GOOD!!!! At about 9:00 I watch him walk down the hill to where I was sitting at first thing in the morning. As I watched him I could see that he was bent over doing something, but I could not quite see what he was up to. Instead of yelling at him (which I should of done anyhow) I continued to watch him. He goes stomping back up the hill and out of the woods. I waited about a half hour and went down to investigate what he was doing. I walked up to where I was sitting early that morning (I had the leaves kicked away) and noticed that the dirt looked really wet and shiny(thats about the best way to describe it). Then about ten yards away, I noticed that there was a water bottle lying there that I did not notice earlier. So I walked over to pick it up and noticed yellow liquid in it, and the bottle felt warm to the touch. Well you don't have to be a genius to figure out what he did. He dumped a bottle of piss where I was sitting at, and left the bottle (littered) to boot. To say the least I was pretty irate and still am. I am still trying to decide on what to about this guy?!!!!

I have filled you all in on details, on how this guy acts, what he does, and how I have been handling him. What should I do?? I know it's only one spot on the property, but I always see nice bucks in that area. So I don't want to always have to move, which I've been doing for years out of consideration/frustration! I'm trying to keep myself calm about all of this but it's really starting to get hard. I told Ralph (my friend's grandfather) what happen, and he is not happy at all. I'm so frustrated RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! Give me some opinions here guys. How would any of you handle this??
Old 11-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I have a story for you all......

Tough situation. If I'm correct in assuming he is actually hunting on the other property that he has permission to hunt than I guess there's not much you can do. It doesnt' change the fact that the guy is a complete idiot though. I'd try to approach him and come to some kind of resolution first. If he isn't responsive to that, then let him know that he could be arrested and lose his hunting priviledges via the hunter harrasment laws (if they apply in your state). If that's not an option then I suppose you have 2 choices: Keep hunting the spot with him being there or move.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well since it's not your land, you do not have a lot of options. But if what you say about the pee bottle is correct. Climb his tree stand and take a dump on his deck. Of course any action by you may cause your hunting rights on that property to be lost. But sometimes a good revenge is worth the penalty.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:17 AM

Wow this guy is a jerk!

The pee isn't going to bother the deer. Studies have shown that der can't distinguish between deer or other urines but the fact the guy did it is unexcuseable. I'd continue to hunt the area. Maybe try to cut the deer off before they get to him if you know their travel routes and I definately wouldn't back out when you see him. I'd make it clear you see him(maybe wave) as you pass by and if you don't mind hunting in his presence then just set up as you normally would.

Is this guy a neighbor or is he hunting on Ralphs land?
Old 11-18-2004, 10:26 AM

That is a very tough situation. It must be extremely hard to keep your cool. I would probably try to calmly talk to and reason with the guy. If that doesn't work, I assume he doesn't have permission to hunt on Ralph's property, then I would try to encourage Ralph to press charges for trespassing if he keeps coming onto the property that you hunt.

Good luck,

Keep us informed.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is this your friends grandpa's land? If so talk to him about it and see what he says. Is this other hunter old or is he your age?(if he is your age then kick his ass in the woods and let him stumble out) If he is older then talk to the land owner and let him do something about it or find other property to hunt. I had a guy posting my property like it was his this year ealyier in the season, and i caught him in a wooden stand he built on my property and he tried to chase me off saying its his. Well let me tell ya, he was out of those woods fearing for his life, and i dont think he will ever be back.
Here is a pic of a doe crossing my property

Old 11-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think one way or another your going to half to confront him and talk it out or leave the area and find some where else to hunt. Or cut off the deer before they get to him like adams sead .P.S Even if you do talk it out he is most likely still going to do things to try in ruin your hunting area When your not there! He sounds like a real jurk! I would most likely confront him and let him know i saw him poor his piss in your hunting spot. That may not be the smart way to handle it But i know how upset i would be.[:@] I may not could stop him! But i bet i could break him from the habit!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Spike

i got some what of the same problem.... today i was out rifle hunting and abt 11:30am thay started to make all sourts of lound noises shooting there rifle at noting and thay know i was there
Old 11-18-2004, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Feel like I got some support here , really appreciate it.
RE to RTA47 & WV8pt.: I was thinking about confronting him, but I'm wondering if talking to the landowners would be better. It would tickle me to death to get this guys permission to hunt denied from here on out. I having feeling he probably would continue to do things to ruin my hunting or should I say try to. Plus he might be one of those people just plain act like an A$$ with you cause he does not want to talk anything out. Then it will become a fistfight.

RE to Turkey Fan:
This guy is setup on the neighboring property, and just lives over the hill from where he walks in. I would say his age is close to 40+ years. Sounds like you dealt with the same kind of guy yourself, and I'm glad here you got rid of the a-hole. I am amazed by what some people will pull, and lie about.

RE adams: I remember reading an article in a magazine about that. I think some students at a college were dumping human urine in scraps and watching/studying the reactions of bucks. They reported that it had no affect on the deer what so ever. Like you said it's the whole principal of him performing an act like this that cannot go without some kind of justice! Where I set now kind of cut's him off anyhow, kinda that is. The deer tend to stay away from the top of the hill where he has his stand anyway even if he's not there, if that tells ya anything lol.

RE Badatta2d, NY Bowhunter, Mathewsboy, BigLouie, & bscofield: I'm going to be checking into our laws about harassment like this and use it as an option if possible. On the other hand as a last resort if nothing will/can be done with jerk, my 3rd option will involve some with human fecies on his stand!!

RE m.t.hands: I just about lost it when I saw your post. That is awesome man, just plain awesome!! ha ha
Old 11-18-2004, 12:47 PM

He's tryin to push you out of there. Lots of things you can do to be miserable and hopefully win the push war. First off, everytime you go in there ask him who the heck he is and if he has permission and act as if you've never seen him before, everytime you do it, and be pissy about it as if he's a brand new poacher you caught. Do it everytime you see him. Document everything this clown does to you, date's, time's, etc. Kill a deer and gut it over by his stand...they won't go near him for a week. Leave butcher scraps over by his stand...your gonna have to show him you have more will than he does. Make it miserable. Make sure you have written permission to be there, harrass the crap out of him about permission and what he's doing there all the time, everytime you see him...pretend as if its the first time your seeing him everytime. And all other suggestions above.
B

Quick Reply: I have a story for you all......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.