Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect >

please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect

Old 11-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect

Must be the computer cords dont go that far into the woods!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's the word??
Old 11-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

well, dont know what to say, this is a first and it hurts, but its over. I know none of you can know for sure but i give my word i feel that i did everything i could, but the deer is lost. I cant explain it. He left a great blood trail for a while, nice and bright, some small bubbles, not froth though. Gave him till the next day like suggested. He went for a creek, and i was hope ful even though the creek is 700 yrd or so from where i shot, never lost blood, he crossed the creek and headed up a very steep hill toward another farm. All the way at the top of the hill i found the arrow, bloody from end to end, blood trail stopped about 10 yrds later as he went into another field. i started a grid search and covered the whole other farm, woods and field. i dont konw what else to say, i was confident in the shot, but obviously i went wrong somwhere. thanks for the concern all.

TG
Old 11-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

. borrow a beagle
Old 11-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does not seem likely that he would stop bleeding right after losing the arrow. I would not give up..............dabow
Old 11-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does not seem likely that he would stop bleeding right after losing the arrow. I would not give up..............
I would have to agree, i would keep looking.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have a similar story, the deer only went 80 yards after losing the arrow, but here it is.......

My buddy shot a good 130" 8 point last year with his bow at 20 yards. He was concerned as soon as the arrow left the bow. The string caught his face net and caused him to hit high on the buck. It made a loud crack and stuck only 4 inches into the deer in the spine area. The deer took off like a freighttrain towards the river. I told him I was confident the deer is dead b/c the lungs go all the way up to the spine,and he should have gotten atleast one lung. He kept on disagreeing with me, saying the arrow hit the spine and stopped and he is probably going to live. I was not very convinced in his theory. We went out about 4 hours after he shot the deer, we found good blood for about 50 yards, the only thing was there were no bubbles, just bright red blood. We had to get on hands and kness for the next 30 yards. At about 80 yards the arrow fell out. After that we couldn't find one drop of blood. We looked and looked, nothing. He went out the next day and looked and did circles to no avail. We couldn't understand why it would quit bleeding as soon as the arrow fell out, it should be the other way asround. For the next 2 or 3 weeks he kept trying to convince me that this deer was still alive, I was not convinced, I was confident it was dead somewhere. About 3 weeks later rifle season was opened and his dad shot that same deer 100 yards from the stand my buddy shot him. It was the same deer for sure, it had a wound exactly were he described and it was already healing over. The weirdest things happen, you can never predict the whitetail. I caught hell from my buddy from there on out for saying he was dead, where in reality, he wasn't. Sorry for the long story, just had to chime in. Your story just reminded me of this one.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Oh, by the way, I am not saying this deer is still alive, I am just saying it is possible. I still would not give up on finding him just yet. Go out and check for buzzards or any other sign. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:46 PM

Keep looking for sure!!!