Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Saw a nice buck but didnt have my bow. Need ideas for tomorrow >

Saw a nice buck but didnt have my bow. Need ideas for tomorrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Saw a nice buck but didnt have my bow. Need ideas for tomorrow

Old 11-13-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Saw a nice buck but didnt have my bow. Need ideas for tomorrow

I went to cut some shooting lanes (a little late in the season, i know) in a different stand. No camo and no bow (dumb mistake..). I started climbing the stand and the stand tipped; somebody unscrewed the screws holding it into the tree.

So I start walking back to the house, trying not to make much noise, when I hear a deer in the brush. I stand motionless in the brush and I watch a nice 8 pointer come from the west and duck under the fence and walk right towards me and right on the trail, no more than 10 yards from me. He sees me then sort-of spooks, tail up in the air. He hops the fence then stops and starts walking north along the fence line, right by another stand right on the fence line.

Do you think he was being territorial since he probably heard me cutting the brush and walking or do you think he was just searching for does?

I have also seen a HUGE non-typical out of the same stand, but that was 2 years ago.

I have; rattling antlers, doe urine, and a buck grunt. I CAN buy a doe bleat call if you all think its a good idea.

I'm going to go out in the stand early tomorrow morning and take what I need with me. The stand has a very small opening, which is where the buck started walking into. There's not much room for error and my shooting range isn't very far as I don't have sights on my bow.

I'll draw a map of what the map looks like on paint and I'll attach it later.

What should my strategy be?
Old 11-13-2004, 03:33 PM

Default RE: Saw a nice buck but didnt have my bow. Need ideas for tomorrow

Here is the map of the corner of the land

Old 11-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say that if the rut is on use Doe estrus urine and make sure you spray your boot's and soles with a scent eliminator before you walk in, a grunt call and a doe bleet will be fine .If the rut's on the buck's are looking for doe's so anything that smell's like doe or sound's like a doe will work great .I'd soak a drag rag with the doe estrus and drag it in with you and then hang it near your stand and hopefully that will be enough .But it sound's as though you haven't spooked him too bad .During the rut you'll have all kind's of buck's running around if he's not your resident then you'll not likely ever see him again ,but there will be other's to follow. good luck tommorrow and keep us posted JRStrangfeld.

OH yea! don't forget your bow this time.LOL

nubo
Old 11-13-2004, 05:31 PM

LOL

should i drag the scent along the fence line by my stand or should i start dragging it by my house? Im afraid a deer will follow it the wrong way; away from my stand

i also hope that wasnt my only opportunity seeing that buck [&o]
Old 11-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

JR!

What I'd do is where the bush or fenceline start's is where I'd start dragging it ,I have my doubt's he'd go too close to the house but you never know.I would also swirl the rag in circles in front of your stand to keep it occupied trying to figure out what direction it's going ,this might buy you some extra time to get yourself set up . I would hang the rag about 20yrds near your stand .Drag rag's work great because buck's travel horizontally across all the doe path's till they find a hot doe and then they follow it to your RAG I hope. good luck and I hope you get a crack at him JR.

Also refreshen the scent on the rag if your going a long distance . I hope I've helped you bag that buck.
By the way welcome to the forum there's lot's of great people on this forum and we all love to help when we can.

nubo
Old 11-13-2004, 06:04 PM

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate the help. I'll give an update tomorrow night after I get out of my stand.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be waiting to hear how you make out ,Good luck JR.

And don't forget your bow LOL.

nubo
Old 11-13-2004, 08:28 PM

I'm nervous as hell.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the map....I know that area.....maybe I'll beat you to the buck tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would say the main thing is unlike yesterday this time take your bow,Good luck