Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cought "with my pants down" >

Cought "with my pants down"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cought "with my pants down"

Old 11-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cought "with my pants down"

Well today I got up at 430 to get ready for a monring in the woods.. I went outside and the wind was blowing real hard so I decided against climbing into a tree... I reset my alarm for 9 so i could run some errands and then drive half an hour to the college campus to work on some CAD drawings. I got over there and they never unlocked the computer lab so I headed back home. I decided to wax my bowstring and head out to the woods since the wind died down... I figured I had 2 hours to hunt since I had to work at 4. So it was still windy and i walked very quietly down to my stand. I got to my stand, attached my rope to my bow and headed up the tree. I was about 12 feet up and I had this feeling that I was being watched. I looked over to my right and there he was!!! It looked to be a wide 8 point but I couldn't really tell. The guys that are putting the siding on our new house had told me before I went down that yesterday they saw a monster buck walk north of the house down the trail twords my stand... Back to me in the tree. I was 12 feet up and he was just staring at me. I was thinking to myself what to do now. I sat there motionless making sure not to move a muscle. He looked away and I decided to make a move. I steped down a step and then he looked back twords me. Still not spooked..... He puts his head down and I take another step and then he looks again. This went on for about 5 minutes till i finally reached the ground. I slowly crouched down and took the rope off my bow. I knocked an arrow and put my release on the loop. He starts walking twords the creek and I knew he was gonna jump it because there was a high bank on the side that I was on. He was 40 yards away and hidden in the trees so I made my move to some cover. Just as I thought he jumped the creek and he made another couple bounds and then jumped over a downed cottonwood tree. My heart sunk because I thought he was gone. Well I was wrong. He stoped just 5 feet past the tree and had his head down. Wind was in my face so it helped cover any crunching leaves. I tried a doe bleat and he didn't respond. I then decided to stalk him. He then started walking further west and I was close on his trail, carefull to be quiet as possible. I got within 25 yards of him but he was in thick cover. So I thought that if i could keep this distance on him, maybe he will get out in the open and give me a shot. This went on for about 25 minutes. Next thing I know, he crossed into more thick cover on the neighbors property and he was out of reach.

It was an unforgetable experiece, but I wish it could have turned out my way. I learned a valuable lesson today.. Always look before you climb into your stand!!! You never know if the buck of a lifetime is watching!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Cought "with my pants down"

Awesome. I hope you get another chance at him. Good luck
Old 11-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Geeezzzzzzzz, you got my heart rate going!!!!!!!! Great story.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:03 PM

Great story!,hope you can get a shot in on him soon
Old 11-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I felt like I was climbing into that stand with you! Great story!
Too bad you didn't get a good position for a shot but thats what keeps us crazy guys climbing trees in the cold and wind day after day.
Its run ins like that that keep me dreaming all day long.
Good Luck hunting him!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

He liked what he saw when you were facing away from him. LOL
Old 11-16-2004, 05:19 AM

You didn't spook him....he'll be back.....
Old 11-16-2004, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Good job stalking him, 25 minutes and you didn't spook him!

GOOD JOB!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good story ,Don't quit on him ,I'm sure he'll be back since it doesn't sound as though he was spooked at all.Good luck and keep your pant's on.

nubo
Old 11-16-2004, 08:23 AM

If he didn't show you his "flag" he will be back

Quick Reply: Cought "with my pants down"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.