Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How would you hunt this....??? >

How would you hunt this....???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How would you hunt this....???

Old 11-11-2004, 03:11 PM

Default How would you hunt this....???

Ok, this weekend i am going all out with a muzzleloader, yes a blackpowder rifle, But i am going to pretend that it is my bow. I don't want to shoot anything over 50 yards or so. I could, but i don't want to with the strict regulations that idaho puts on muzzleloading. You can't have a scope and you cannot use 209 shotgun primers. Those two things limit your distance quite substantially, and make it prettty similar to bow hunting. That is why i am posting this here..

I am going to the tough woods of N. Idaho. I am going to the highest point in the mountain and setting up camp for friday, saturday and sunday. I will get there at a little before day break tomorrow if everthing goes as planned, and i will be hunting for deer, or bull elk. I am concentrating on getting a bull elk, but i will bag a deer if i see one.

So now with that out of the way, here is my question:
- How do i hunt bull elk at this time of the year with a limited range weapon? I can't snipe them from across the ridges, and i don't think i will be able to call one in since it is so far after the rut. Maybe a second estrus is accuring and sounding like a cow might pull something with in 50 yards? There are lots of elk in this area, and lots of sign, i just need to figure out a game plan on how to get into range, or how to coax them. Will they respond to buggles?

So all of you late hunters out there, please help me out.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:36 PM

Default RE: How would you hunt this....???

come on.... no on can help a kid out? I am going tomorrow and i have no idea how the elk will respond to calls, and how i should hunt them. Please help me! I will check back in a little while.

thanks, i am really desperate for information.