Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Earn-a-buck zone >

Earn-a-buck zone

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Earn-a-buck zone

Old 11-10-2004, 10:41 AM

Default Earn-a-buck zone

How many of you hunt in these zones? I agree with QDM but this is rediculous! I hunt in Jersey and during fall bow you have to take a doe first then your buck. Then when extended bow comes around you have to do it all over again and by now the deer know they are being hunted. Saturday I had a nice shooter 9pt under me and couldn't shoot it. It would be nice if Fish and Game would let you harvest your does at the beginning of the season, then you could concentrate on getting that shooter come the rut. That makes too much sense though.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:15 AM

Default RE: Earn-a-buck zone

[&:] Man i feel for you;;; Did you read the post from baggin Bigguns?? This guy got creamed by the laws in Wisconsin.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I don't like it either...But it has improved the quality of bucks I have seen. I took my doe for exteneded already. Now I'm waiting on a good shooter.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:03 PM

It would be nice if Fish and Game would let you harvest your does at the beginning of the season,
I think this would be a great suggestion and you should submit it to your states dnr. The earn a buck makes complete sence if you think about it. You may not like it but it forces you to do your part to thin the herd. If it wern't for earn a buck most people would be content with just shooting a buck and there would be no herd management.

I hear you point though. I could see if you had to tag a doe to "earn your buck" for the early season and a second to "earn your buck" for the extended season but I agree you should be able to get them both out of the way early in the year. If I were you and wanted to get the laws changed I'd email the director of the DNR. There are no guarentees that they'll act on the suggestion but it certainly can't hurt.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:22 PM

I live in NJ and agree 100%. Thank God this is the last year of it. I don't mind only shooting one buck and I don't mind having all of September to kill a doe. Just let the darn thing count for November. Once the rut starts, we have to start over and it is just plain stupid.

My biggest problem is my son. NO youth hunter, here 10 to 15 yrs old, should not have to earn a buck. I doubt the number of youth hunters taking a buck will impact the herd in any way.

I have written all of this several times to any member of the fish and game council who I could find and they politely write me back saying thanks for the input but their reasoning is sound.

I hunt zone 8 and 5 mostly and 5 is no longer an earn a buck zone. I harvested two doe in the early season but will not hunt in the EABZ for extended because I can't afford another permit.

They make it hard not to break the law don't they? So many I know do. I'm still holding on but when my son had to pass up a nice eight point piebald last season at about seven steps, I started writing letters.

Greg
Old 11-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

What would happen if you see a deer get struck by a car, was still alive and you finished it with your bow. Could you check it in as a kill? Would you do this? Just thinking out loud.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

What would happen if you see a deer get struck by a car, was still alive and you finished it with your bow. Could you check it in as a kill? Would you do this? Just thinking out loud.
Not here. They (DNR) spray paint a stripe and cut a slit all the way up the ear on road kills to prevent anyone from trying to register them to earn their buck tag. How anal is that?[:@] Hit one with your vehicle and cause a couple grand in damages to your vehicle and you still dont earn the right to shoot a buck.

I always seem to hear how EAB is a good thing , but the majority of time it's from folks who aren't in a EAB unit.[&:]
It sucks!!! The area I'm currently hunting is farm land. The zone I'm in is one of the highest for crop damage permits which means the doe have been hunted all year. It's pretty diffecult to harvest an adult doe to begin with , make them nocturnal from being hunted all year and it's just icing on the cake. I dont bait and I wont shoot a fawn , so that leaves me the option of waiting until the rut in hopes of a buck chasing a doe from her bed my way.
Now that I'm done pi$$ing and moaning , you can bet your arse I'm going to try and kill as many doe as possible this year so I dont have my season ruined next year!
Sorry team #14
Old 11-11-2004, 05:35 AM

They used to paint the deer here in NJ too. I don't see it any more. I wrote that in one of my letters to the state. How arsinine to pay someone to ride around and paint deer. What do I have to major in in college to get that job?

A lot of guys here tag road kills. I have adopted a philosophy of killing the first thing that strolls by, spots or no spots.

Like I said, I don't mind shooting only one buck per season. Just let me make the call, first deer, fifth deer or tenth deer.

Greg
Old 11-11-2004, 05:49 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Gryan

They used to paint the deer here in NJ too. I don't see it any more. I wrote that in one of my letters to the state. How arsinine to pay someone to ride around and paint deer. What do I have to major in in college to get that job?
Perhaps it was a union job and they went on strike for union wages.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in the WI earn a buck zone. What I would like to see is them allow you to carry over 2 unused buck tags for 1 buck tag the next season. That way you would have a buck tag to start the season. Anytime during the season just kill 2 does and that is earning your tag for next year. As it is now I don't want to shoot a second doe because I want as many left for next year as possible since I will continue to be earn-a-buck. This would be a win/win as I see it. The herd will benefit because I will be taking out up to 6 deer from next years herd (if both does had twins which is common here). This will make the DNR happy. I also will be happy as I will start the season with a buck tag. Also takes off the pressure of HAVING to shoot a doe early and making a bad shot because you just HAVE TO take it. JMO.

Quick Reply: Earn-a-buck zone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.