Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Success story w/picture >

Success story w/picture

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Success story w/picture

Old 11-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Success story w/picture

This story isn't about the biggest rack but about the hunt itself.
I had hunted for about 5 weeks, had a dozen or more does walk by, and a few smaller bucks, but I didn't take any of them. I had seen some monsters...at a distance, but couldn't get them under my stand.
On Sat., Nov. 6, I needed to finish hunting for two reasons. I just bought a new house, and my wife really wants to get moved, and gun season opens next Sat. I wanted out of the woods by then.
At first light, I heard a grunt and saw a buck chasing a doe. I tried grunting, bleating, etc., but when a buck has his mind on a doe, nothing seems to distract him. They wantered off.
Just before 7, still not very light, a doe appears to my right. I thought maybe a buck was trailing her, so I carefully stood up and turned in her direction, but no buck appeared. Not long however, from my left I hear movement and look to see a buck coming across the creek about 50 yards away. He comes broadside at what I thought to be about 30 yards. He doesn't have the rack I had hoped for, but considering my need to get out of the woods for the season, I decide that he is a shooter. I take aim and let one fly. It looked like it hit high but right in the lung area. The buck only ran about 30 yard up the hill and stopped. I could still see him. I thought he would fall over any second, but no doing. I couldn't see blood on him either. There were some limbs in my way, so I had to lean a little during the shot. Due to that and perhaps a misjudgment in yardage, I later found out that I grazed his back making about a 5-6 inch slice in his hide but not enough to blead.
Well, the doe jumped when I shot but stopped about 20 yards behind me. The buck and doe kept looking at each other and soon he came her way. This time he was wide open at 20 yards broadside. The shot couldn't have beem more perfect, double lund and some heart to boot. The amazing thing is, he took a few bounces about 20 more yards and stopped, stood there for a few seconds and fell over, only 35-40 yards from my stand. I've shot plenty of deer but never had one fall so close to my stand, even with a gun. Actually, they seem to run farther when shot with a gun. Like I said, I had seen and hoped for a larger rack, but all in all a successful season and hunt.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Success story w/picture

Congratulations!! Nice story.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Great job and story! It is the hunt that is most important and you had a great one. Two bites at the apple is rare!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Huge deer ,congrates
Old 11-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck!!! Congrats!!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:25 AM

nice buck
Old 11-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

congrats
Old 11-10-2004, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with that one! Way to go!
Old 11-10-2004, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck and story congrats
Old 11-10-2004, 05:07 AM

CONGRADS...nice buck and great story

Quick Reply: Success story w/picture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.