Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I want to know the TRUTH about this... >

I want to know the TRUTH about this...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I want to know the TRUTH about this...

Old 11-08-2004, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I want to know the TRUTH about this...

is it possible for a deer to live with one clipped lung?

I find it hard to believe a deer can live with a bleeding lung.. They should bleed to death..

One guy says they die, another says they live..

WHAT IS IT..

my opinion.. THEY DIE
Old 11-08-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I want to know the TRUTH about this...

If you are looking for a hard and fast rule then you're not going to get one. There are very few things in this world that are that black and white. It depends on the animals and how much damage was done to the lung etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. So, yes I am sure they can live through some one lung shots. I have seen a human being get shot through one lung with a .357 magnum and live through it so I am sure they can do the same.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:58 AM

Negative on the one-lung-hit deer living. It will die. You will find lots of good blood, but the deer goes a LONG way. This usually occurs when shooting from an extreme angle and hitting low enough to miss the far lung.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO.... dead deer
Old 11-08-2004, 07:30 AM

The guy hunting behind us said he killed a buck last year with a rifle that had a piece of arrow and broadhead lodged in a lung ! He guessed it had been shot as a 2.5 year old and he killed it as a 4.5 year old ! I didn't see it........but see no reason why he would lie !!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:29 AM

I did some research on this for a while. Last year i shot a deer, i knew that i had made a good shot, but still i couldn't find it. About a week later my dad was hunting the same field when the deer i shot stepped out. He shot and killed it. Turns out that i had hit the deer in one lung and it had survived. I asked some of my biology professors and this is what they told me. Unlike humans, deer have a membrane that allows their lungs to work in unisome but yet independently. If we are shot in the one of our lungs, negative pressure makes our whole lungs deflate since they are connected. But a deer has a membrane that allows the other lung to continue to breathe. But it is a long shot. Usually it will bleed to death. But if you are just asking if one can live on only one lung. The answer is YES.

Ben
Old 11-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting
Old 11-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it is certainly possibly.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The guy hunting behind us said he killed a buck last year with a rifle that had a piece of arrow and broadhead lodged in a lung ! He guessed it had been shot as a 2.5 year old and he killed it as a 4.5 year old ! I didn't see it........but see no reason why he would lie !!
My cousin also shot a buck that had a broadhead imbedded in one rib on the inside. Luckily he seen the scar from the entry wound before field dressing so he was very carefull because he didn't see any exit wound. The top of one lung was clearly shot thru and deformed looking. It looked as though it healed just fine though because the scar tissue was hard and there was no sign of rotting anywhere. By the looks of the wound on the outside and inside we had guessed it had been shot at the very least , the year before.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely yes, If the trama and blood loss does not kill them and infection does not get them, living and breathing with 1 lung is very possible. (Not only in animals but in people too)!

Quick Reply: I want to know the TRUTH about this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.